It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(male)

AliusNeo08 HB User
What happens when a patient is red-flagged at a medical clinic?

You know being red-flagged at my medical clinic is not by me using narcotics or anything of that sort but, it is by enemies that hold a grudge against you for some reason and they call your doctor and tell them he's using and selling his narcotics, blah, blah, blah, blah.. You know what reason and what right does a doc have to immediately take you off your medication that you've been on for so many years? It wasn't very good for me...

Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: What happens when a patient is red-flagged at a medical clinic?

This is when it is a good time to get a lawyer(from out of town) to help you deal with your local clinic. Unless of course they are right? Otherwise, you will have no other choice but to move away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I'm not sure what your asking, Random UA's show the truth and so do pill counts.If your meds and nothing else are in your system It shouldn't matter if some freak makes an annonomous call. If your doc does pill counts and you have every pill your supposed to at an apt, it makes the caller look foolish.
It does go back to keeping your own info private. The fewer people that know what meds you take and even more important, who your doc is, you can avoid this kind of BS. I don't know If I would go as far as moving, but I would have a face to face with your doc and ask why he wouldn't do anything to confirm what some person says over the phone. All that can be proved or denied with a few minutes and UA.
Good luck, Dave

Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I agree 100% with Dave.
If I were you, I would send a registered letter to your doctor, explaining that what he heard came from a vindictive childish person and offering to pay for a complete drug test right away.

I would ask that he not drop you until he sees the results of your tests, and I would ask him to pick the lab and the date.

If your tests come back okay, you should be in the clear, but even if he doesnt respond, keep a copy of the letter and the receipt from the delivery of it to him to show a new doctor.

I would also offer to submit to a drug test with a new doctor before he prescribes for you.

As Dave said, the proof is in the pudding, if there are no other reasons for him to believe some random caller, you should be fine.

HTH, Fabby

Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

i too worried about this problem happeinng to me because my best friend and i or no longer friends ,see i married my best friends ex- son in law and everything was fine for a year or so but we had trouble with her daughter his x and so now we are no longer friends ,i use to worry that they would call and make up something,but i stop for the most part because my count is always right and i follow every rule.so there shouldn't be any problem just because someone makes stuff up. Did they do a pill count ? a urine test? that is crazy dropping you based on hear say. keep us posted.kelsey

Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

That is a new one to me. I have never heard of that happening to anyone, unless they were abusing there meds by calling in for early refills or messing up on your pill counts, or working the Dr's for higher doses and stonger meds, or claiming you lost your pills or they fell down the sink. That is the only time I have heard of someone reporting you, if they suspect something , have you done anything different this month or last???. If you have not done anything wrong, than you should pursue this with your Dr. He may not even know what is going on and what proof does he have to accuese you of this? what were the ecxact circumstances that went on here as your post was a little vague, can you give more info to us and than we can offer more advice. this is just awful! are you now in W/D? and out of your meds??? I am very sorry this happened to you but did anything happen that would trigger your Dr's office to have assumed this and cut you off so abruptly? you say its your enemies, what kind of enemies would do this to you???

SS

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

As was basically said before: If that happened to me, like some random person who just happened to know who my doctor was and what I was on (could be like a bitter ex or someone..it happens..) I could totally prove I wasn't selling the pills by showing them to him and that I wasn't on any other drugs by just taking a drug test. So I think we need more details on the situation because I just don't get it right now (don't worry, I don't get a lot of things, like erasable pens). Maybe your doc was more upset about the call in general then the nature of the call? It could be construed as harassment, even if not your fault. See what I mean? It doesn't make sense for him to drop you just by the call if he believed you were abusing or diverting your medication, I think logically he would want some other sort of proof, I would hope before totally dropping you. If not, and he really did drop you, not because the call annoyed him in general but because he believed the caller then you my friend have a nice case of slander. If you know who the caller is then I agree with Ann's advice about contacting a lawyer.

Last edited by BabyOwensMama; 12-30-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

IF....and this is a HUGE IF...This were to EVER happen to me, and it wont, but in CASE it did, my doctor would have an appt with me immediately. That is the relationship we have, and honestly, it sounds like there is more to this than you are telling us. Please, please give us more info! Im aware of your small town, my ex is from Atmore, and I know it is tiny, but try to give us more info so we can help you! Ive never heard of this either, but Id think the doc would call an emeergency appt with you or vice versa!
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
(female)

HappyFlower HB User

I am like Dave...not sure what you are asking. However, I agree that UA and pill counts should disprove accusations of the such. In most cases, a person is only red flagged if there is proof of abuse. Many fabricate elaborate senerios to cover...but usually one is only flagged if there is a reason. Not saying this is always the case-I have heard of some being flagged who were honestly innocent, but usually there is a reason.

I can't imagine your clinic not asking you about the phone call...especially if you are always on count and passing UAs, don't ask for early refills or press for more?? If this is the case, I would clear my name and find another doctor. Proof is not hard to obtain in this situation and the Clinic should have given you the benefit of the doubt if you have been a "law abiding" patient up to this point.

If you are innocent, take your medicines and pepe to the doctors office and ask them to count the pills and do a UA. Quick and easy and should clear your name. I do hope everything works out for you. Best of Luck.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I also think that unless this person was very closely related to you, the doctors office broke the HIPPA laws just by even confirming that you were a patient there. just fyi.

Please re post and let us know more, I think most of us are dying to hear the whole story, I know I am.

~Fabby

Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

There have been plenty of posts from people on this boards who have been "red flagged" for seemingly no reason by over-zealous doctors, so it's apparent it happens just by reading this board. And that's too bad but the original post was pretty vague and left open to interpretation so I hope to hear more details from Alius about this because if this is another case of a CP'r getting screwed I want everyone to hear it.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hello AliusNeo08. First of all, I would like to welcome you to the board .

Alius, please reassure us that there's more to this story.

If someone can call our PM dr and have us dropped that easily we're all in trouble. I find it hard to believe someone can do something like that so easily. There has to be more to this story, atleast I'm hoping for chronic pain people everywhere that there's more to this story. Can you imagine the legal drama? I tend to agree with most of you, if you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. I've always been upfront and honest with my PM, telling him to call me anytime and I will gladly come in for a drug test or so he can count my pills. Isn't it sad, though, that people like us, living with chronic pain, have to deal with this type of stuff almost daily it seems? Sad .

Alius, please do not think I'm saying you're to blame for your PM dropping you. I'm not accusing you of anything. In fact, I hope you're an innocent victim like most of us have been at one time or another since becomming chronic pain people. I think it's sad that chronic pain people are treated like we're guilty (drug seekers) until proven innocent (people with severe pain).

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story. Take care.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

i agree with all,why wouldn't your dr give you the chance to prove your self this scares me ,if a dr can just drops you even if you have done no wrong and can prove it ,at some point many of have had po someone off so please tell us what happened.kelsey

Closed Thread