It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Lortab vs. ultram

I am on Lortab right now but my body is getting immune to it, I also have ultram that the doctor has given me. my question is: Is ultram just as strong as Lortabs? I take 5/500 Lortabs and have 50mg Ultram.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

HappyFlower HB User
Re: Lortab vs. ultram

In my experience no. I don't know the specifics, but they block pain differently. If you search "ultram" on this site you will come across an older post that explains how.

Ultram alone doesn't work for me at all. However, the ultram and the lortab work great. By adding the Ultram, it allowed me to take less of the lortab. So you could call your doctor and ask is this is ok to try or you could always ask for a stronger strength Lortab. How long have you been on the Lortab?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFlower View Post
In my experience no. I don't know the specifics, but they block pain differently. If you search "ultram" on this site you will come across an older post that explains how.

Ultram alone doesn't work for me at all. However, the ultram and the lortab work great. By adding the Ultram, it allowed me to take less of the lortab. So you could call your doctor and ask is this is ok to try or you could always ask for a stronger strength Lortab. How long have you been on the Lortab?
I have been on Lortab for 7 months.I have had times were I didn't have to take it for a week or two here and there. So you take Ultram and Lortab at the same time? My doctor gave me both, but I never thought if I can take them at the same time or not. I never thought to ask.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I take Ultram along with my MS Contin (morphine) and they are very good together. Think of the Ultram as adding to the potency of the Lortab.

steve

Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You have a hard time trying to compare the two. Although both are narcotic medications lortab is an opiate (meaning derived from opium) and ultram is an opiod (not derived from opium). Both attach to the opiod receptor in the brain it's just lortab is also an opiate.

Ultram acts differently being very mildly attached to the opiod receptors and also acting on norepenephrine and serotonin by being reuptake inhibitor. I like to think of Ultram as an opiod and SNRI (anti-depressant) combined even though the literature doesn't specifically word it this way. I am currently taking both Ultram and Lortab right now along with my fentanyl patch. They can be taken together it's just the side effects will have an additive effect meaning you will experience the side effects of both together. Hope that helps.

Brian

Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

HappyFlower HB User

Yes. I take them at the same time. I am Ultram er 100mg once or twice a day as needed. The benefit of this over just the standard Ultram 50 mg is it is released into the body throughout the day, keeping my pain more controlled, and this means I take less Lortab. As Brian said, the Ultram also seems to help with mood.

If you have been taking lortab 5 off and on for 7 months, I would guess your body is just accustom to it. I started with the 2.5's a couple of years ago and we just incresed to the 10's last month. Maybe ask the doctor for the 7.5....you will be surprised at the difference. You could also take 1 1/2 of the 5/500's but they you would be increasing the tylenol. Your doctor can point you in the right direction. I am not as experienced as many on here, but I believe Percocet would be the next step if higher doses of Lortab aren't helping. Do you mind tellling us if you have back pain, knee pain or what? Are you in pain management?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks for the info guys. I was starting to take 2 Lortabs twice a day and it isn't working as well as it use to. I sometimes take the Ultram and it only works a little,less then the Lortab. So maybe I'll take 1 Lortab and 1 Ultram and see if it works better that way.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Yes. I take them at the same time. I am Ultram er 100mg once or twice a day as needed. The benefit of this over just the standard Ultram 50 mg is it is released into the body throughout the day, keeping my pain more controlled, and this means I take less Lortab. As Brian said, the Ultram also seems to help with mood.

If you have been taking lortab 5 off and on for 7 months, I would guess your body is just accustom to it. I started with the 2.5's a couple of years ago and we just incresed to the 10's last month. Maybe ask the doctor for the 7.5....you will be surprised at the difference. You could also take 1 1/2 of the 5/500's but they you would be increasing the tylenol. Your doctor can point you in the right direction. I am not as experienced as many on here, but I believe Percocet would be the next step if higher doses of Lortab aren't helping. Do you mind tellling us if you have back pain, knee pain or what? Are you in pain management?
I have chronic stomach pain. They have done every test known to man kind and tried a lot of medicines for it. My gastroenterologist is suggesting a gastric pacemaker. There is one more test that needs to be done and it is the gastric emptying scan.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Sorry for your pain. My opinion with the Ultram is that it works at best for mild/moderate pain. I have Ultram for my knee, which is in bad shape. I have had Lortab in the past after my knee surgery and found that it works much better than the Ultram if the pain is bad!

Everyone is different and every drug works differently for everyone. I myself would rather have Lortab if I was in alot of pain.

Something I don't understand is why a Gastro doc would give Lortab for stomach pain. That seems like something for a stomach medicine. Oh well, all docs are different.

Take care!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs View Post
Sorry for your pain. My opinion with the Ultram is that it works at best for mild/moderate pain. I have Ultram for my knee, which is in bad shape. I have had Lortab in the past after my knee surgery and found that it works much better than the Ultram if the pain is bad!

Everyone is different and every drug works differently for everyone. I myself would rather have Lortab if I was in alot of pain.

Something I don't understand is why a Gastro doc would give Lortab for stomach pain. That seems like something for a stomach medicine. Oh well, all docs are different.

Take care!
My PA is the one that prescribed the Ultram and Lortabs, not my gastroenterologist, but my gastroenterologist does know the meds that I am on. I see a PA on base.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
(female)

HappyFlower HB User

I was on Lortab, heck I got up to Percocet, the year my gallbladder was acting up. They will usually try to treat with stomach medicines first, but there are times when nothing else works.

What in the world is a gastric pacemaker? A gastric emptying scan doesn't sound pleasant,either. Do they scan you while your digestive tract empties?
I am sorry you are going thru this. The year or so I dealt with my gallbladder was such a pain. Stomach pain is not fun...not that any pain is...but when your stomach hurts life is miserable.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
I was on Lortab, heck I got up to Percocet, the year my gallbladder was acting up. They will usually try to treat with stomach medicines first, but there are times when nothing else works.

What in the world is a gastric pacemaker? A gastric emptying scan doesn't sound pleasant,either. Do they scan you while your digestive tract empties?
I am sorry you are going thru this. The year or so I dealt with my gallbladder was such a pain. Stomach pain is not fun...not that any pain is...but when your stomach hurts life is miserable.
The Gastric Pacemaker is a little machine the size of a head of a watch and they place it on the outside lining of your stomach and it sends electric pulses through the muscles of the stomach and a gastric emptying scan is were they see how long it takes for you to digest food.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Can I ask what your pain is like? With eating? Constant? Sharp, dull? What sorts of meds have you tried? Have you been tested for Gerd?
I'm really curious as my daughter has had stomach pain and nausea her whole life and we're still trying to figure out what the heck is wrong and what the right treatment is. Thanks for any info you can give me.~Mush

Sorry we have to meet here but this is a great board full of support!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3 View Post
Can I ask what your pain is like? With eating? Constant? Sharp, dull? What sorts of meds have you tried? Have you been tested for Gerd?
I'm really curious as my daughter has had stomach pain and nausea her whole life and we're still trying to figure out what the heck is wrong and what the right treatment is. Thanks for any info you can give me.~Mush

Sorry we have to meet here but this is a great board full of support!
Well they still can not find the cause of the pain. I do get nauseated everyday and my stomach pain is a strong dull pain and it is constant. Sometimes I get really bad cramps. After I eat it does get worse. I have acid reflex disease which I have had for 3 years now. My gallbladder has been removed because they thought it was the main reason for all the problems which they were wrong, but it was a diseased gallbladder so having it removed was a good thing anyways. They have tried many stomach meds, but none have worked. I have had this problem sense April. Lortab is the only medicine that works for the pain. I do not like to have to be on it for so long, but it is the only thing that works. How old is your daughter? Medicines they have tried:

Phenergan: for my nausea (still take)

Garafate: used for stomach inflammation

Cholestyramine: for stomach acid and inflammation

Ondansetrom; for nausea and vomiting

Hyoscyamine: is used to control symptoms associated with disorders of the

gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It works by decreasing the motion of the stomach and

intestines and the secretion of stomach fluids, including acid.

Donnatal: is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, inflammation of the intestine,

and ulcers in the intestine.

Amitiza: For constipation.

They have also put me on many antibiotics thinking I might have had some type of infection.
They also had me try antihistamines too.
I have had other meds, but I can’t remember what they were, sorry.

What test have they done?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Wink Re: Lortab vs. ultram

Thanks for your reply. My daughter is soon to be sixteen(hard to believe since I'm only 23...in my mind!LOL). When she was 8 or 9 they ran a bunch of tests...sorry I can't remember them all. They did make her drink some awful contrast medium and strapped her to this platform and tipped her this way and that while they took xrays. And also an ultrasound. Since then she has had a major, major fear of doctors. Her doctor is the sweetest, most soft-spoken man but when I took her in to see him this year she just sat and cried when he tried to talk to her. Her blood pressure was way up and her heart was racing. Also as a result of vomiting so many, many times since she was 2 she has a vomit phobia. This poor girl would throw up Christmas morning, Easter, field trips and she had to cancel at least 4 birthday parties because she spent the night before curled up with the toliet. Once a nurse tried to tell me that she was faking it to get out of school and that I should make her go anyway. My daughter loves school and has been in the gifted program(her choice) since 2nd grade. (She is in 10th grade now and taking 11th, 12th and AP classes) Anyway, I told the nurse that if she saw her lying on the bathroom floor after vomiting 15 times, so weak that she could hardly lift her head, she would understand.

She kept it under control for about 4 years with a bottle of ranitidine on hand at all times until this year when things got really bad again. I know your thinking "it's anxiety" and yes, I believe that plays a big part of it but it doesn't explain everything and I won't bore you with another long drawn out explanation.(too late!LOL)

She's going to a counselor and it on her 3rd antidepressant(which really makes me nervous). I can't remember the first 'stomach' drug they put her on but she's taking Prevacid and ranitidine now. It was the miracle drug at first but is losing it's effectiveness. She has an appointment with a pediatric GI doc in the 'big city' in a few weeks. We will be pushing for the Gerd isotope test because my son is going through this right now(doc says it's the cause of his allergies, sinus issues and asthma!) and she seems to fit the profile.

If you're still reading....thank you for letting me get that off my chest. She has almost the same symptoms as you...constant central pain and nausea. That is the worst part and I agree with her. I get nauseous with my migraines and I HATE it. It drives you crazy! I take phenergan and once when she was really miserable I gave her one and it helped. I know I'm not supposed to share but she's my baby and I couldn't take seeing her like that. I also let her wear a scopalmine patch once. It was the first day in 6 months that she wasn't nauseous!!! We have repeatedly asked her doctor for something to fight the nausea and he will only give her ranitidine which doesn't help. I'm hoping that the gi doc will have a different opinion.

Thank you so much for listening. I hope you find a solution to your pain.

What have they done to treat your reflux disease? My son's doc says they have this great little surgery(through the belly button) where they build you a new stomach valve and voila, you are cured. Have you heard of this?
How long have you been dealng with this? Sorry if you already said and I forgot. Don't feel bad about taking the Loratab. I, too, have undiagnosed pain...I caught an atypical pneumonia 5 years ago and have pain in my lung when I breathe which 'they' say is impossible. Again, thanks for listening.
Sorry this is so, so long and Jon, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for my grammatical mistakes....it is 2am here!

Closed Thread