HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Spinal injections - success stories? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/568472-spinal-injections-success-stories.html)

latenites 01-13-2008 05:51 AM

Spinal injections - success stories?

I am going to be having injections into my spine to avoid surgery. I would love to hear from anyone who has had these. Thanks.

Love2cook 01-13-2008 11:32 AM

Re: Spinal injections - success stories?

I've had two. One around L3-L4 area and one L5-S1 area. No luck. Did nothing.

Some people swear by them, though. So this is one of those things that depends upon the individual case.

Best of luck!
Elaine

deadlifter 01-13-2008 01:33 PM

I'm hopeful I might be a success story.

I developed severe neck pain last June and after a month of trigger point injections and physical therapy I had an MRI which showed a collapse of the disc between C5/C6 with significant stenosis of the right side neural foramen. I had significant pain in my neck, right shoulder, and numbness of my right thumb, index and middle fingers.

I went to a pain management doctor who gave me 3 epidural steroid injections into the space around C5/C6 spaced 10 days apart. I got about 30% pain relief from this and was starting to look around for a good neurosurgeon to discuss surgical options. The pain management doctor wanted to try a "selective nerve root block" aka transforaminal steroid injection which is done under general anesthesia in the hospital. I decided to go ahead, as I was literally climbing the walls from the pain and would have tried anything, and did! This worked fabulously as I'm at a very low level of pain now and only take Ultram ER 200 mg at night for pain management. I've had to change my lifestyle quite a bit to retire from those activities, largely sports, which can jostle my head and cause pain.

I feel that I can live with it the way it is now, and tolerate the occasional pain flares that inevitably occur when I overdo it or otherwise get tweaked as I definitely now have a "glass neck". The Norco 10's the PM doc gave me work quite well for those circumstances. Someday, after my "let 'em weak and die" HMO plan finally approves the artificial cervical disc I might reconsider surgery.

Definitely give the shots a try!

latenites 01-14-2008 03:10 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company whether they will approve out of plan benefits for the clinic I was referred to. The clinics in my insurance plan are quite far away, and driving long distances is very painful for me. In the meantime my teeth are worn to nubs from "biting the bullet". I'm so glad you've had some relief from the shots. Its so good to talk to people who know what I'm going through.

tkb 01-14-2008 04:14 AM

latenites
Hi, i'm a bit different you might say, i've gone the reversal to others. following a c5/6 acd in 2005 i unfortunately have developed crps, as a result of surgery or initial injury sight we don't know, anyway, i obviously suffer with pain and further pathology has found further disc degeneration throughout my spine and particularly in lumber area. Well i had a lumber epidural in June 07 which lasted about 2 weeks then i had a cervical epidural in sept 07 which lasted about 3 weeks, now i'm waiting to have a sympathetic nerve block under sedation. My pain consultant has mentioned me having a dorsal fin stimulator, but he wants to see how i react to the nerve block first. I guess we are all different, but in my case surgery was necessary, however, i am trying all concervative options for the rest of my spine to avoid surgery in the future. Consider it very carefully, b4 you comit yourself to any surgery, good luck.
tkb

hessie28 01-14-2008 11:38 PM

Everyone is different. I had the three epidurals and one nerve block back in 2001. The three shots did not work but the nerve block worked about 6 months. Now I am post op lumbar fusion on 2 levels with 6 screws and 2 rods. I had the three epidurals and so far 2 facet (sp?) shots. The last shot gave me about 5 days of less pain across my back. The leg pain had no change. Maybe the next one will last longer. The dr. said you have a better chance of the shots working if you have not had surgery yet. So he said maybe my pain will be 50 percent less then it was. Guess that is better then nothing. Good luck with the shots. Find someone that puts you out. The first time I had them I was awake for them. I actually felt the nerve block and it hurt. Now they give me something and I wake up as they are turning me over. Much better.

usatus102 02-20-2008 10:48 PM

Hello All
I have been reading all of your post and have been intrigued and inspired by what I have read. I began having pain in my left arm and upper back in DEC 2007 around the 12th. I continued to think that this a muscle problem. However, upon returning to Tucson I began to have a tingling sensation in my left pinkie finger and ring finger. Then I had a shocking sensation run down my left arm. It has now progressed to the point that it wakes me at night. I had an MRI and was told that I slight spinal column closure around c5 c6 c7 and some disk bulging in the same area. I had my first cervical epidural 11th of FEB. There was no pain during the shot and I had some relief after. As the week progressed the pain returned and I am returning for my second shot this Friday 22 Feb. The pain comes and goes, but some activities like riding my bike have caused some harsh pain. Well I will post some more results after my shot friday.