It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Feelsbad, any surgery date yet?

Been wondering if you have a date for surgery yet. I know for me I am only feeling worse & can't imagine having to wait any real length of time. This pain & its limitations is really getting to me. So let me know if you have a date set up & how you are feeling. Sammy

Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Feelsbad, any surgery date yet?

well thanks for asking sammy,you are so sweet.i just answered chrissys post with that stuff but heres the highlights so far.i am havingthe surgery on feb 6 but instead of being sent home i need to stay at least one night for monitoring of various things.they are going to be doing the standard nerve block and the stellate ganglion block as well just to try and miinimize the risk of spread of the RSD from my knee to the shoulder area.the thought of that actually occuring just scares the crap outta me.i already have central pain in that arm and really don;t need another hellish burning crappy thing up there too.but my ortho is very very knowledgable about RSD so we always take all the right precautions.he also wants me on that wonderful dilaudid PCA.i love that man.

i just got sent from my ortho a list of stuff i need to obtain thru their orthotics and bracing facility which includes this passive motion chair type thing where i can place my arm and shoulder into it and it slowly moves the joint for you back and forth without using muscle or the tendons.its supposed to help minimize pain and also get my joint mobile much more quickly.i also have a few other things they are going to be sending me back with and stuff i need for the actual surgery.i just never had stuff like this to do with any of my other 6? surgeries.with my fusion they sent me for the fitted neck brace that i had to go get myself and bring with me to my surgery but wow,what the hell?we still have to discuss my going home meds.he is pretty good about managing my pain so i am not too overly concerned about that part.i just feel very fortunate to have a surgeon who knows how truely screwed up my body actually is from the SCI and is also willing to take the steps needed to forsee possible problems and have orders written when things hit the fan.

i just so want this over at this point.my left hand got hit really badly with the spinal cord surgery and is pretty dang useless as it is,this is really going to be a major hoot when i get home and actually try and DO anything using it.i lost my thumb pretty much(it wont rotate like a normal thumb?or can no longer just 'pinch' things) plus eight other intrinsic fine motor muscles with that surgery.i had to rebuild that hand and my left leg after that spinal surgery in a wonderful amazing acute rehab facility.couldn't believe i actually walked out those doors that i got wheeled thru about three weeks prior.believe me,i take nothing for granted anymore.

so thats kinda where we are at right at this point.i still have to make my H and P yet.that should be fun.hopefully i wont catch the cold that everyone else in this house is dealing with.that would really put a damper on things for me.god only knows how long i would have to wait for another surgery date to open.i was darn lucky to just get this.it seems my ortho had JUST cancelled a vaction the day i came in so there were much much earlier dates open and availiable or else it would have been at least like march before it could have taken place.whew.timing IS everything.thanks for askin sammy.how are you doing right now?give me details.marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Feelsbad, any surgery date yet?

Marcia, got to ask you what is RSD? I am glad you have a date set & its not so far off. Sounds like you have been through enough & boy do I envy your trust in your surgeon. I am alittle worried, I do not like new doctors at all, but we have to start some where. I have yet to find out any details & his office said the hospital would call about a week before surgery. I am trying to take it day by day here & not play the worry game.
I feel like crap, & have to say darn sick of this pain, I swear there are days I am so inflammed it hurts to breathe, touch & so on.... I will tell you I am most worried that the morning of surgery they will tell me I can't take my pain meds, I just can't see that, honest to god I can't go with out them, I will be vomiting & not be able to hardly move. I have asked the surgeon to call but have not heard from him, so I will call again this week. My husband works with a lady who just went for shoulder surgery with this surgeon & he said she received a call aday or two before, so perhaps that is how he does things.
I am glad I have a date set, getting very little sleep, can't up the meds because they are dropping my blood pressure which is low to begin with. Waking lately shortly after going to bed, heart racing & feeling like I want to throw up & drenched in sweat, pretty scary. I am praying some how this is all linked & will go away with the surgery. The only thing I know for sure is the darn inflammation & muscle spasms are in full force. Mind if I ask you what your doc. has you on for pain? I think I am over doing it & am going to really try to take it more easy. Missed work today which I try to never do, but its just getting harder to do anything. We can count down the days before surgery now, & prayer that the surgeries will be successful. Sammy

Closed Thread