It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Is the Cold blast affecting your symptoms?

I noticed a pattern with changes of weather, flare ups most certainly increase.
Typically storms bring on symptoms, but with the latest cold blast lots of increased pain and imflamation. So though most of us deal with constant pain how are you handleing the extra pain that the cold weather may bring on?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Is the Cold blast affecting your symptoms?

Yep == cold blasts means increased pain for me as well as thunderstorms as a rule. I just continue taking my meds, trying some relaxation tapes, heat, ice, and trying to keep busy in order to distract me somewhat from the pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I think the national weather service should hire us, we always know when cold or thunder is coming!

Cold makes me stiffer and kind of allover worse, low pressure, like before a hail or thunder storm, hurts my fusion and bulging discs like crazy! My first pain doctor had a fusion herself, so she actually knew exactly what I meant.

I have gone to Vegas several times, and my pain was much better there (and no I dont drink lol) but I dont think I could take the heat constantly, plus as an Irish Oregonian, I am like the whitest person on the face of the earth, I would probably turn to ash and blow away, lol.

Hope you are all keeping warm and having a good night.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 01-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I feel like heck! My body doesn't like changes in weather. This cold is really tough on my back and knees and hands. Last night I noticed after brushing the snow off my truck that my hands felt like they were on fire. Guess it's about time to find some gloves!
Fred

Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

ABSOLUTELY!! In general, I'm affected by the change in seasons, but cold weather blasts are the worst! I try to stay in doors and hunkered down if possible.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

I suppose i am fortunate living in florida but that isn't necessarily true. We actually got snow flurries here on the ocean. The bad part is that living so close to the ocean and river we always have a breeze. So any cool down at all feels colder. We also have lots of rain espechially from feb. to oct.

I agree with the other poster who said that we should work for the NWS. Lord knows i could tell them what's coming. My pain areas are my back, hips, hands, and knees. When there is a weather change i feel it most in my knees. They lock up and throb like hell. When we have a tropical storm or hurricane approaching, you can forget it i will hardly be able to move. We had a storm last yr. that had a very very low barometric reading and i thought i was gonna die. I hurt so much that it scared me.

Just another one of those CP wonders. God bless, morgyporgy

Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
(female)

ladybumblebee HB User

good evening,

I'm so glad it's not just me. I thought I was imagining it. My pain has increased to about an 8 with the cold and rain. where i live in the UK it rains a lot but we've got flooding over here at the moment - thank god not where i am but it's rained for a fortnight and I feel like hell.

Think I need to move to a warmer climate!!! I'm seriously considering it too.

Happy thoughts to all.

LBB

Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Oh boy, this thread is one I can relate to. Mornings here for the last month easily have been -38 and thats NO wind chill. Its so cold here that it cant snow half of the time, which, Id rather have the snow, honestly. Watch what you wish for, we got 4 feet last week:[
Highs in the day usually peak at -16 or so maybe -11, if we are lucky.
This starts in December, and stays until March. It sucks to no end...
I have to force myself to do a lot, and it means eating my b/t meds like M&M's when I first wake up...Sometimes I set my alarm so I can take them before I have to get my kiddo up.
I can train and work out at home, but I dont do any of that until the late afternoon now because it takes me forever, to get moving. We have a gym, and a golf training simulator room and thats how I keep tuned up.
When I get to go to the warm climates, Im thrilled and pack at least 3 weeks in advance. Im so ready for golf head on again...this cold weather is killing me.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

pinlady HB User

Really enjoyed reading all the replies. Cold weather effects you bones? Darn right it does.
Usually I am stiff in the A.M...do some stretching exercises and also work out at Curves...was doing soooo good...no problems with the exercises and machines...then...WOW right before Christmas the weather changed and changed..one day warm, next day cold, then snow, then warm and now its below freezing.. Well, Not only did I have stiffness when I got up but pain (motion only) in my upper arms, neck and lower hips...had no idea what the heck happened. Its been 4 1/2 weeks getting up with this stiffness and motion pain, then in the P>M> after I take 2 pain pills you would not know I had anything wrong and then in the evening...wow...I had enough so I am going to my Dr. this week and find out just what is wrong...I am sure its some form of Arthritis, my Mother had a very,very bad case of it and my sister has Fibromyalgia...BUT, yes indeed the weather change and season changes do effect your body. Would love to move to Fla. in the winter and soak in the sun... pinlady

Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
(female)

sierrabrulee HB User

Without a doubt. I would consider this cold blast just plain evil, if it were a sentient being. I've dealt with it by not going outside when it's dark, hiding in the bed in my jammies, and covering every inch possible when I go outside at all. Preferably with more than one layer. Cold is one thing but that freezing wind really puts the hurt on just about anyone. The other morning my uncle put the space heater in my bed... I know, that's a huge no-no but I asked him to when I realized I couldn't bend.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

My hubby bought me a jacket for Christmas that has coils that heat the back and the front chest area. Got it at Brookstone. With the titanium rods and the 20 screws the cold makes my entire back seize up and i feel like my entire chest is in a vice. Breathing is an issue. The jacket really helps, but it's a sad comment that my present is a neccesity. oh fudge....IT had three different levels of heat, but no style or looks at all...sigh.

Getting up in the morning is a comic routine. The dogs get a real kick out of it. I get up, take my drugs, go back to bed. Get up, put on some clothes, lay back down. Get up, back down. They sit and watch...she's up..she's down...she's up..she's down...she's up..will it last? wait wait wait....nah she's staying up. Morning entertainment for them. It's such a rotten dull ache that it's almost like another person living inside with you taking up some of your space.

I find that dry cold is better than damp cold and no cold beats it all...

Closed Thread