It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Hipaa: Does It Only Pertain To You And Your Doc And What About The Pharmacy?

I have a question...How does HIPPA work, with privacy info, at the pharmacy. Even though there is supposed to be HIPPA between the doc and pt...Does the Pharmacist and Doctor have an unwritten code that they are allowed to go by about the patient? Id love to hear any and ALL responses.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-18-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Hipaa: Does It Only Pertain To You And Your Doc And What About The Pharmacy?

Wouldn't they have to notify the patient in writing if the hippa applied? If so, I don't think the pharmacists have to abide by it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User
Re: Hipaa: Does It Only Pertain To You And Your Doc And What About The Pharmacy?

HIPPA does apply to the pharmacy - when HIPPA was first enforced (I think it was April 2003) all the pharmacies clipped notes to your scripts but now I think it is just posted at pharmacies Peace Aver

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Does the Pharmacist and Doctor have an unwritten code that they are allowed to go by about the patient? Id love to hear any and ALL responses.

What I mean is...Does the Pharmacist have an override over the doc? Im feeling bullied by a pharmacist who is telling me I cannot pcik up my script until the 10th day. For instance...IF I got my script filled on the !st, why cant I get it filled on the 9th if it is a 10 day supply? Also this pharmicst is one to be a pharmacy police, even though I am not under contract or anything.
The hippa thing...another pharm. told me the pharmacist has no right to make his/her own assumption about filling the script. If it is a 10 day script, I sould be able to get it on the even or whenever the day before...the 9th.
Sorry to be all over the place tonite. I never have probs, and this new pharmacy mgr has just sent me into overload...thanks for any help...
xoixoxooxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am so sorry you are so upset about this and want you to know that I care. (((HUGS))))). I would try to take a deep breath and try to calm down. Then I would go talk to the store manager if there is one and/or calmly talk with the pharmacist and ask what the problem is with filling it on the 9th day. There should be no problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you are not under any type of actual contract with your doc,the pharmacy realistcally should not be able to dictate when you pick up a script,really.that is usually up to your ins co.if they okay the fill,then,you should be able to actually pick it up then too,you know what i mean?i would seriously speak to the store manager and also with your doc too.i do think this pharmacist is way overstepping their bounds here too.

one huge thing i found out and i AM under a contract.is that when i used to just have to pick up my rxes from my PM the day before i was scheduled to actually run out(and of course,that was like set in stone),well that seemed to change dramatically once i started having my Rxes mailed right to my pharmacy.very strange.i call on the wed before i am due to run out the next week(they state they need one week for processing)but when they send them out to my pharm,they always seemto get there on saturday.i assumed i still would not be able to pick up my rxes since the actual date for me to be able to pick them up was not til the next few days til that wed.well,that changed and they actually give them to me on the sat if i am in picking up other Rxes.if i don't pick these up from my walgreens once they are filled,i keep getting those annoying phone calls from them and their automated voice crap telling me to pick them up.then they start the 'if you do not pick these up within 24 hours,they will be placed back into stock" crap.so now i just pick them up and put them in my safe til that wed when i actually need them.go figure.according to the pharm i spoke to about this she told me that they just do not ever 'hold onto' any Rx.as soon as it comes in,they fill it and place it to be picked up(the actual date on the Rx is the day it gets written before it is actually sent since they cannot post date any Rxes,so they do know this).now i KNOW without a doubt that my PM has to be aware of this and it seems to be okay with them too.rather confusing tho considering the way things used to be.i think over the four years i have been going to this PM and the fact i have never ever given them any reason to doubt my trust or compliance,this may be the reason they have not said anything about it.who knows.but i do think that once your ins co okays any Rx,the pharmacist themselves really do not have the 'right' to withold it from any patient for any real reason.as long as your doc and the ins co are okay with this,the pharmacists opinion really should not play any part in it,you know what i mean?

honestly?i think a change in pharmacies may be the best way to handle this.and telling your doc about the reason why you are doing it too.but i most certainly would have a chat with the head pharmacist or the store manager about this.it just doesn't seem "right' for alot of reasons.if this is okay with the people who actually matter(the doc and your ins co)it should not be withheld from you,the patient.just find out what YOUR rights are here before you do anything.if the date on the Rx is on the day you need to pickup,there just should not be a real issue here.what that date is on the Rx is what should determine your pick up day.its just the "if it is okay to fill it,it should be okay to pick it up" thing?i would just start speaking with all the right people here and determine what is actually 'right' not a pharms personal opinion,ya know?i wish you luck with this.please let us know how things are going,K?marcia

Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

IZZYSMOM...I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! Keep in mind that you can have a narcotic script transferred one time (per written prescription) in most states...might want to get it sent somewhere else!! You shouldn't have to deal with this crap every 9 days. Keep us posted! Prayin' it will work out well REAL SOON!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

When a pharmacist gives you a refill of something has nothing to do with HIPAA. Depending on the medication some drugs can not be dispensed until the appropriate amount of time since last refill. This is mostly to do with narcotics...that is most people cry foul if they can't get their pain medicines when they want them but also other medications are regulated in such a way as well and also has to do with your medical insurance companies..they also will only allow pharmacy to fill a script on the day it is due. If the doctor has ordered you to take just a certain amount a day and you have taken more and then you call for a refill you probably will not get it until the appropriate amount of days has passed. If you need to take more of them a day than doctor has prescribed then you have to start with the doctor and ask him to write the script for what you are actually taking a day...of course the doctor may not want you to take more than he ordered. You might want to change to a different pharmacy if you feel they are jerking you around for no apparent reason. Anyway, HIPAA rules have nothing to do with this. HIPAA at the pharmacy has to do with confidentiality of information ...there has to be a certain amount of space between you and the next customer so they don't overhear what information the pharmacist/or tech is telling you about your medicines or your health care. HIPAA is all about the passerby not hearing what your health care professional is discussing with you.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

that is horrible Izzy. I can't beleive he would do this to you. when I was seeing a PM Doc, my PM Doc always gave me RX on the 28-29th day and I would fill them no problem even though it was a 30 day supply my new Dr fills every 31 days so I have to save some meds to cover myself that day. my pharmacy has never said a thing to me about filling 1-2 days early and I do beleive you take vicadin ES and the pain patch right? How absurd of him. just chagne pharamcy's and be sure to tell him you don't like his attitude as he should be informed as to why your leaving, ask him what his problem is with you? call him on it. he probably sees pain patients as drug seekers and has lumped you into that category and does this to everyone, not just you he could have also gotten in trouble and is now extra careful so he doesn't loose his license ( that is a good possiblty) so I should not be so quick to judge him.. I am sorry this happening to you, go elsewhere if you feel like he singling you out!

SS

Closed Thread