It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
(female)

rachjanos HB User
is percocet stronger than hydrocodone

is percocet stronger than hydrocodone

Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: is percocet stronger than hydrocodone

Welcome Rach! Yes, Percocet (generic is oxycodone) is stronger than hydrocodone (generic for Vicodin, Lortab). Percocet is a Class 2 narcotic, and hydrocodone is a Class 3.

The Following User Says Thank You to painaway For This Useful Post:
grandma60 (06-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Depends.....Hydro comes in 5g, 7.5, and 10. For example, Loratab (5mg), Loratab plus (7.5), and then Loratab 10.

Percocet usually comes in 5mg. I would argue that a percocet is stronger than the first two Loratabs. However, the loratab 10 is pretty strong and I would consider it to be fairly equal to the perc.

The moral of this story is that you have to consider the STRENGTH of the med. For example, the lowest strength Oxycontin comes in 10mg, or equal to two percs. Because OC is time release over 12 hours, you only get .8 per hour. So really, it's not all that strong at all.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

We need to clear up a few errors that have been posted, so that rachjanos has the accurate information.

Percocet (Oxycodone) is stronger than Hydrocodone (like Lortabs). Hydrocodone comes in 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 mg with various strengths of APAP. Oxycodone also comes in 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 mg with various strengths of APAP. Oxycodone also comes as Oxy IR (Roxicodone) which is pure Oxycodone (no APAP) in doses of 5, 15, and 30 mg.

One other point is Oxycontin, which is a long acting version of Oxycodone. It comes in 10, 20, 40, and 80 mg. It use to be made in 160 mg tabs also, but those were discontinued a few years ago. Oxycontin is released over a 12 hour period of time. Most people say it's only good for approximately 8 hours. Whatever the strength is, one half of the dose is released initially and the second half is released in about the 5-6 hour point. So the 10 mg Oxy would release 5 mg Oxycodone when taken and then about 5 or 6 hours later, another 5 mg would be released.

I hope this clears up some of the information that has been written that is not correct.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The original question was "is perocet stronger than Hydro"? That's a tough question. I would argue that it depends on the strength of the hydro...All is not created equal. I would argue that a Lortab 10 for example is about equal to a percocet. It's also important to note that each narcotic effects people differently. Some people can tolerate one over another. Hydro is a synthetic narcotic that generally has less side effects, mainly less hangover. However, everyone if different.

Only your Dr knows what is best depending on your condition and pain level.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

I do think we're getting closer to the answer. It seems like you need to compare some sort of equivalent in this situation. Perhaps...Since 2.5 mg of hydrocodone (a Schedule III narcotic) is probably weaker than 2.5 mg of Percocet (oxycodone/acetaminophen--a Schedule II narcotic). To compare these two medications, I think you should consider the strengths of BOTH opiates in question.

Why? Well, you could take 10 Tylenol 3's (Schedule III) and 1 Percocet 5 (Schedule II)--and possibly get more relief from the 10 Tylenol 3's! (Obviously, no one would ever suggest taking that many Tylenol 3's at once, but I'm using this example to make a point.) So, it would seem that the amount of codeine in this example is "stronger" than the amount of oxycodone found in the Percocet. But, to go around saying that codeine is "stronger" or "more potent" than oxycodone isn't practical. So, we must use exact amounts of each drug for comparison.

My own experience has been that, in equivalent dosages (milligrams), oxycodone (Percocet) provides better relief than hydrocodone.

This is just my input. So, take it for what it's worth (or not worth)!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Conductor-- A very good and detailed answer. Your answer is a more detailed example than mine and further demonstrates that the dosage differences between the different drugs makes the question very difficult, if not impossible.

This is why I think it's important to let the Dr decide based on the condition of the patient.

Closed Thread