It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

stay2654 HB User
What pain medicine can and can't be called in?

By your dr.? I know some you have to have the RX, but some can be called in without?
Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

morgyporgy HB User
Re: What pain medicine can and can't be called in?

I do know that class III meds (example:hydrocodone/apap) can be called in. All class II meds (example:Oxycodone) have to have a paper script and cannot be called in. I am sure that you will get more in depth responses. God bless, morgyporgy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

I don't think you can get refills on the Schedule 11 either. I remember one time I had to go to a different "on call " Doc as my Doc was closed for the holiday. It eventually was DX as my current back problem but at the time he was worried about my gall bladder. he had prescribed Demerol and something else for pain and the nurse asked what could be called in and what could not. i was given a script for the Demerol but something else was called in. That was years ago and I can't remember all the meds. The Demerol was a great pain med though

Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thats exactly right, the class II meds, oxycodone and above, IE demerol, morphine, percocet, ect, cannot be called in or have refills on it, a new 'hard copy' of the script must be presented and be in the store you fill it, if you have a class III, norco, lortab, vicodin, and such, you can have it called in, and have refills on it. but say you go to a chain store, and you need a class II refilled, and only the 24 hour chain store is open, if that is not the same store your original script was faxed to or called in to, it cannot be filled there, you must wait until the original pharmacy you presented it to is open.

There are lots of new laws about post dating scripts, and 3 month supplies, and other things, Others here (Waving at Dave) know a lot more about that then I do.

HTH, Fabby

PS~This made me wonder, I just switched from Ultram and Lortabs, both class III's, to Methadone. Is methadone a class II? They carry it at the small pharmacy right in my doctors building, so it probably wouldnt cause me any extra trouble, just curious, seems to me methadone would be a class II.

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 01-24-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding question

Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Fabby,
I'm pretty sure methadone is a class II.
Glad to hear it's working for you. Are you having drowsiness?
That's the one thing that worries me about going on it. I don't want to fall asleep every time I sit down. I love to read! And I'm already tired enough as it is.
Take care.~Mush

Last edited by trowftd3; 01-25-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Methadone is a Schedule II drug.

It did make me somewhat drowsy, but the painkilling ability far outweighed the drowsiness. I hold to a very strong opinion that methadone should automatically be prescribed along with some kind of mild stimulant. Kinda like opioids should automatically be accompanied by a plan for constipation with the appropriate meds.

My PM doc automatically Rx'd Provigil when she started me on methadone. It's a very mild stimulant and it would probably have been great, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So she prescribed dexedrine instead in its mildest dose. And I always took much less than allowed, but it worked real well.

steve

Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I've been on Methadone for about five years now, and the last time I went to the doctor, I asked about something to take along with the Methadone. He shot down that idea right away. My doctor of 20 years retired last summer, so this is a new doc I just started with and I didn't want to push the point. I figured I was very lucky to see him the first time and he wrote my Methadone script for the 540 tabs a month, just like I had been on with my old doctor.

Yes, it makes me somewhat drowsy too when driving long distances, reading, and watching TV. Driving in town isn't a problem. It's better now than it was when I first started on it. As Steve pointed out, the benefits of pain control you get, far out weigh the side effects.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Yep, I have noticed the drowsiness, more so since adding the 3rd daily dose, but like jon and steve, I am so pleased with the pain control, I could overlook it, even if it never got better, but I have been told it will with time.

My doctor also refuses to give any kind of breakthrough med, he doesnt use them, and I doubt if he would give me any kind of stimulant, either. I dont drive, never have, and I am no longer able to work, so it doesnt bother me a lot, when the pain was bad, I spent many days in bed suffering, so taking an extra nap and having great pain control seems like a win win for me.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
(male)

zach88 HB User

I don't know how or why this happened, but I'm just sharing this experience:

Sometime over this past summer I had run out of Percocet (which is Class II) and wasn't going to see my doctor for another week. This was all pre-operative, so I was really not on a pain management plan, the surgeon was just trying to make me comfortable.

Anyway, I was in a lot of pain after I ran out of the medication, so I called the doctor's office and asked if they could get a refill for my Percocet. Usually when I call in, they'll tell my doctor what I asked for, and he'd write me a script and I'd pick up the hard copy at the office. However, on this occasion they told me that the doctor would call me back. So he did, and we discussed my other medications, and then he asked if I wanted him to just call in the medications. I agreed, and went to the pharmacy to pick it up.

I thought at the time that you could not call in something like Percocet, but he said that he could, so I didn't doubt him. When I went to pick up the new Percocet, I asked the pharmacist how my doctor called in the Percocet, and he told me that in "emergency situation," a doctor is allowed to call in a maximum of 40 Class II narcotics. My doctor had given me 40 Percocets, which would last me until I saw him the following week.

Has anyone else ever been in this kind of experience? Or maybe heard of this policy before? Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
(female)

stay2654 HB User

Good Morning. No, I never heard of that before, having the Dr. call in Percocets. Good for you thoughm hope you got relief!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I have read about it, and I know it can be done in CA.

In the background, the prescribing doctor has to complete the proper script and get it to the pharmacist in due time. As far as I know this holds for any Schedule II drug. It's done quite often in hospice situations.

steve

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I've heard of it too. If my memory is correct, the doctor has to follow up with a hard copy script within 72 hours. I've never been in this situation, but I think it's fairly common practice in just about all states. If someone knows differently, please let us know.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Yes, many years ago (maybe 20) I had my ob/gyn call in 30 Percocet tabs over the phone on a weekend. It was allowed as long as he mailed the written prescripton within 72 hours of the order being placed. I'm assuming it is still allowed in Maryland, the state where I live. Memere

Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

I have had this done on a few occasions for me over the years, too. A couple of times, the physician phoned in Percocet (which tells me it had to be quite a few years ago since I haven't used them since around 1998 or so). Once, my current physician phoned in 3 patches (1 every two days) of Duragesic. The doctor who called in the Percocet had me pick up the written scripts and deliver them to the pharmacy (within the 72-hour time limit here in FL), while the doctor who phoned in patches took care of the Rx delivery herself. My pharmacist, who is very kind to our family, told me that he doesn't always accept these emergency Rx's because it is very easy to get "burned" (the word I think he used).

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Yep, I had something similar happen, the pharmacy lost the hard copy script, but the pharmacist knew me, and knew it had been filed. so they went ahead and filled it and the doctor mailed them a replacement, But really, stuff like that is up to the indivdual pharmacist, if they know you, they will usually have no problem with it, but they can choose to refuse to do it until they have hard copy script in hand.

Its nice to know so many of us have pharmacists who treat us well.

Hugs, Fabby

Closed Thread