It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
(male)

Mundos HB User
Unhappy I have a Question regarding oxy and fentanyl

Hey guys,

I have a condition called CRPS some people call it RSD (complex regional pain syndrome .. anyways I get Sharp Shooting ,Burning ,stabbing pains that shoot from my toes all the way up to my lower back and my lower back is really swollen like a football I can barley walk at times and it is so painful just to sit here and type Ive been dealing with this condition for over a year now I'm learning to cope with it... there is nothing I can do the pain just keeps getting worse and worse... well.. any way my condition is very serious and is very bad and sucks very much so..

Anyways My question is ...

well Ive been seeing this new doctor and he Prescribes me Oxycontin.. (after surgery my first doctor had me up to 120mg a day we slowly after awhile started to decrease it I mean it wasn't helping me to decrease it but in order to get into this pain management place I had to get weened to a lower dosage right.. well long story short I'm now down to 50 mgs a day )

anyways with this new doctor Ive been seeing him for about 2 months now.. and my last appointment he wanted to UA me he says its random procedure he just wants to make sure I'm taking my meds correctly he says he does it for everyone.. so anyway here is the thing on this last prescription some one stole some of my medicine... I don't know who it was but I know keep everything in a safe.. but I didn't have any meds and I started to withdraw because my body is dependent them and I was is Excruciating pain and believe me THIS IS A VERY BAD SITUATION>>>!! I mean if your in really bad chronic pain u know what I mean ... any ways I don't want to call my doctor and tell him what happened because I know he would tell me Tough luck wait it out... thing is I had about a week to wait... so my only choice was to call my grandma and ask here if I could borrow 2 of here fentanyl patches.. Ive taken them in the past because a situation like this happened once before to me... any way she tells me sure so I have my fiance get them for me and I put it on after 3 days I put the second one on now I have a day till I see my doctor and I'm doing alright now... and Guess what happens when I see my doctor the following day... his nurse comes up to me and does her normal questions and I answer them correctly and everything... and then she bust out ohh guess what its your turn for a random test ect. ect. ect. and I'm like ok I didn't even think of anything because I take my meds correctly and don't abuse anything... then after I get home I just realize omg I had that patch on and it was the 2nd day on the 2nd patch I was on it .. so I'm kinda freaking out now.. I also stopped taken my Nurontin for like 5 days also because those 2 together were making me a little dizzy so i didn't take my nurontiin for like 5-6 days and I was on those stupid patches for 5 days... and they were stronger patches this time too
(last time I had to get one they were 50 mcg/h )This time I guess my grandma got a increase because they were different and said 75 mcg/h... ...

I don't know what to do or think I dont know whats going to happen I mean are they going to test for fentanyl >> ?? does it come up as the same as Oxycontin >>>?? and I mean I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 in afternoon and 10 and night 50mgs a day I mean omg is it going to come up way to strong >>>??? Im really scared and I don't know what to do and my grandma is always like you didnt get anything from me blah blah and I mean it was a emergency it was also the weekend ... DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ??? Please help I need some kind of answers?? I mean anything will help Ive tried searching all around about fentanyl patches and UA's and this is such a unique question I know only u guys would be able to help me... On one good note I told my doctor that the nurontin was making me dizzy so I stopped taking it for 5-6 days.. maybe 7 days.. so I think that isn't going to show up so im freaking about that too.. I mean DO the test they do show all that stuff how much your taking and what drug it is??? and stuff or will it show up as opiates I'm praying that something helps me threw this right now because I have no idea what to do.. please can anyone help with all possible scenarios
I mean if u possiblely know every angle that might come up please can tell me anything if u need any more info from me for one of your scenarios Ill immediately post back with anything u ask me ...

Thank you guys so much

Mundos

Last edited by Mundos; 01-30-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Re: I have a Question regarding oxy and fentanyl

Read the thread under PM and urine testing. it has all the info you need. it IS possible for your Doc to see the Fent as well as a low level of the Oxy in your system. You can always fess up when questioned

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Yes, it will come up in your UA as Fent and since you weren't taking your oxy, that will also show...The Neurontin probably doesn't get tested for on a typical UA, so you should be in the clear as far as that's concerned...

I would expect to be terminated from the clinic, so start looking now for another PM and be honest about what happened.

Good luck

Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
Along these lines

I am considering going to a PM Doc as my GP has no problem prescribing my 7.5 mg Perc but says the next step is the oxycontins. Yes,,, I know the Oxy can not be taken as PRN but I know there has got to be other medications that can be taken for chronic pain without jumping to this highly addictive medication. I tried it once before and I swear after just 4 tabs one day I was in bed with the aches, very bad dry heaves/gags, diarrhea and the worst feeling I have ever had. I do not want to go that route. What can I expect from a PM doc and what do I need to bring when I go for my first visit / MRI results. other Docs notes, RX history etc ? My insurance plan does not require a referral so I can go directly to the Dr. There is a clinic affiliated with Duke Hospital where i do require a referral from my Doctor. I have degenerative disc disease. arthritis in spine, herniated/bulging disc L4-L5

Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Now Take a deep breath and calm down. I wouldn't give it a second thought just wait until the test comes back ...I am guessing they are testing for street drugs. If they say anything just play dumb and just give it a shrug. I think this whole issue of patients having to go through any of this is beyond me. Never tell them what you did ...I would of done the same thing. Pain is a terrible thing to have to endure and I am appalled what some people have to go through just to get relief. I actually believe you should be on a pain patch anyway instead of you having to taper off and always be in pain...that just isn't right. This pain clinic stuff is really causing people to suffer and that just isn't right. No one can be honest and I for one would certainly lead the charge on patient rights but I'm not there ...you now are stuck with this ridiculous situation and if I were you I would just calm down and enjoy your pain relief and thank granny for her help and just never ever tell anyone. Anyone would know you would be in pain and anyone would also realize that pain meds are not going to last forever at the same dosage. Or sometimes there is more pain than other times so we take a little more than we should and I just don't see that a problem...you should be able to freely discuss this with the clinic without fear of random drug testing for pete sake! The problem I see is none of these pain clinics are for your benefit they are for the faceless government to control you and they could care less if you are in pain or not ...SO just try to calm down and when you go back to the clinic put on your best innocent face you can muster and realize you are entitled to have pain relief period. If they say anything at all you just play dumb! good luck to you.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

In my humble opinion, I recommend you be ready to tell the truth, the whole truth. Do wait for the results, but be ready. As has been written in a previous post, this is cause for termination from many pain clinics, especially if you have a contract.

The test will show the absence of Oxycodone, and probably the presence of Fentanyl. Oftentimes, these test are fairly specific, with some testing for natural opiates like morphine, and others testing for the synthetics or semi-synthetics (e.g. methadone/oxycodone, hydromorphone).

Please don't make anything up, it'll only make things worse.

If you do happen to get by, please learn from this experience. Do your very best to protect your supply and never borrow from another. It's highly illegal to use someone else's prescription, let alone a Schedule II drug. Your results can even put your doctor at risk, since the test results are a legal document. If he fails to act (if the test shows what you've done), then he could be in violation of the law ot in trouble with the medical board.

This is serious stuff, and I wish you the very best.

steve

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am thinking the same as Steve on this one also. The test is probably going to show fentanyl and no oxy so you better be prepared to tell the truth. It just might save you. Here is something that happened to me. I was going to a PM doc and the only thing that he was prescribing was ultram and lyrica. Well, the pain got really bad and I couldn't stand it so I asked a friend for a few hydrocodone. Any way the next appointment they did a UA and a blood test and I knew that I was probably screwed. I go to my following appt and he says is there any reason why there would be hydro in your body. I told the truth and he was glad that I did. He said most PM docs would have walked me out of the office on the spot but since I had been honest he kept me on a patient. He understood that I had been in pretty bad pain. If you do lie then it will probably cath up with you. I did not come right out and say anything until he brought it up. I was scared to death just like you. You are the only one that can make the decision but that is what I did.

Brian

Old 01-31-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

deleted..post...

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-13-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
(male)

Mundos HB User

hey guys its me again well I had my appointment yesterday and everything went just great.. I was waiting to hear something about the UA and not one word and strange look came up .. now don't get me wrong I was going to take annD's advice.. I mean I did nothing wrong I got stolen from and that isn't my fault, I have a horrible injury it is very severe and I have been screwed over by Land I so bad its not even funny, I have neuropathology( nerve damage) in my leg I have sharp shooting burning, stabbing pains that shoot all the way up my leg to my back and my back is also swollen like a football this pain never goes away and I mean NEVER>>>!!... L and I still wont even admit that I am hurt at all they didn't give me any type of care in the world i cant work and I cant pay my bills .. everything right now for me is so ridiculous its not even funny... I'm sorry to all those other ppl out there that got mad at me I really didn't know what to do I panic'ed and was in so much pain and had bad withdraws I had to ask for help from someone and my doctor wasent around so my grandma helped me .. and I know I got very lucky and hopefully nothing comes of it in the future... I know im a lucky guy for that .. but i want to let everyone know I take my medication just as im prescribed and no more..I'm not one of those ppl that fake or lie to get meds.. I need them just as bad as any person with chronic pain out there does.. thanks for looking out for me guys I know someone was praying for me thanks so much guys.

Oh yea for any people out there that gets their meds and you have freinds and family over and you dont think they will steal from you.. People Do get in serious pain and they will know right were to go looking for relief because you think everything is safe and no one would do that .. well I learned the hard way.. its usally someone u would never expect.. and well my advice is get a safe..They arn't safe anywhere but a SAFE... lol hehe.. well anyways thats what i did and I know my meds are safe from now on...

Thanks so much everyone for your help,

Mundos

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I can only imagine that your doc has not yet seen your test results. I can't believe any doc that goes so far as to conduct UIs would just forget about the results your test must have shown, unless your doc is using a test I've never heard of.

PLEASE - Be thankful that you haven't been caught and use this experience to take your meds only as prescribed, and never borrow from another again. You wrote that you take your meds as prescribed, but when you are taking someone else's meds, it is not as prescribed. If you self medicate you only hurt yourself. No, that's not quite true. You can also seriously hurt your doc if the DEA finds bad UI results and sees that your doc didn't act accordingly.

HOWEVER - I can't truthfully say that if my meds had been stolen that I wouldn't seriously consider doing what you did. It would be a battle royal in my conscience. I guess I really don't know what I'd do unless I was facing the same situation. So, I hope you understand I do not judge you at all (you shouldn't really care what I think anyway). I just encourage you not to self medicate because it can be worse for you than if you tough it out.

I am really glad you can go on from here without trouble.

steve

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundos View Post
hey guys its me again well I had my appointment yesterday and everything went just great.. I was waiting to hear something about the UA and not one word and strange look came up ..

now don't get me wrong I was going to take annD's advice.. I mean I did nothing wrong I got stolen from and that isn't my fault

i cant work and I cant pay my bills .. everything right now for me is so ridiculous its not even funny...

I'm sorry to all those other ppl out there that got mad at me I really didn't know what to do I panic'ed and was in so much pain and had bad withdraws I had to ask for help from someone and my doctor wasent around so my grandma helped me .. I know I got very lucky and hopefully nothing comes of it in the future... I'm not one of those ppl that fake or lie to get meds.. I need them just as bad as any person with chronic pain out there does.

Oh yea for any people out there that gets their meds and you have freinds and family over and you dont think they will steal from you.. People Do get in serious pain and they will know right were to go looking for relief because you think everything is safe and no one would do that .. well I learned the hard way.. its usally someone u would never expect.. and well my advice is get a safe..They arn't safe anywhere but a SAFE... lol hehe.. well anyways thats what i did and I know my meds are safe from now on...

Thanks so much everyone for your help,

Mundos

Mundos,

I'm really happy that everyting went well for you at your appt...Please don't take this the wrong way, but you did do something wrong...I know how bad pain and WD can be, however, you can't take someone elses meds...Period.

This could have led to you getting kicked out of PM and your medical record could have been, "red flagged" and you would have had a really difficult time finding another doc who would want to take the chance and prescribe you a narcotic in the future...I'm not trying to beat you up, please believe me, but this is such an important topic for everyone who reads the PM boards...Your poor grandmom could have gotten in trouble too, so this potentially could have ruined two lives, your grandmom and you. Nobody questions your pain, we all know how bad chronic pain can be and the fact that someone stole your meds is awful, but YOU and everyone who takes narcotic meds need to lock them up. It is our responsibility to make sure that our meds are safe to ensure that nobody can get to them. Thank God the person who took your meds didn't OD or sell them to someone who OD'd.

Again, please, please don't take this the wrong way. I just thought that since you still believe you did nothing wrong that maybe other people might get the impression that it's okay to take another person's narcotic meds if their in pain and it is NOT OKAY...

Good luck to you in the future...Maybe your PM doc can offer you a LA med like the patch? Think about discussing that with your doc next visit.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

This is just a little short story for you:
When I first met this pain management doc I have now, He did a UA before prescribing anything. I didn't bother me, because I was only taking, Lortab, Xanax, Wellbutrin, Enablex (for my Bladder), Lunesta (for sleep) and smoked a couple MENTHOL cigarettes before I went into his ofice.
HE got the report rather quick. He walked in, sat down, read it off:
Your on:
Lortab, Xanax, Methadone, Heroin, Crack, pot, and he named 11 other illegal street drugs, I could not help myself, I was so shocked, I laughed and said- If I had all that, I WOULDN'T NEED YOU!
He looked at me and could tell there was NO WAY I was on any of that, he said the mixture of my meds and the Chemicals in my Menthol Cigarettes messed up the test, he said I can't be tested.
I actually told him to write everything down so I could go home and tell everyone, but he said no.
He did put me on Fentanyl and Oxycodone that day.
But the point of this is, you never know how things actually mix together and what's in these cigarettes.
But I do wish the best of luck, Stay calm and try not to worry, it just makes you look worse and pretty guilty. I think you learned Something.
I too, had some of my meds stolen. But I decided to go without for 8 days. To clear out my system so when I DID get them back, they would work better, and they did.
Sandollar.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I don't want to pile on here, but thought I'd chime in with some info as an "fyi." At my PM clinic, if you fail your UA, they send you a certified letter stating that you're being terminated from the program. I happened to learn this from one of the people in the office just chit chatting one day....The lady had a handful of certified letters and made a comment about sending them out. She said that they do this to avoid any type of confrontation with the patient. I asked if they just "cut people off" and she said...."Basically, but we do provide a 'ween off' script" (which I'm guessing may be a legal thing as well as a humane gesture).

Judging by everything I've read in the this thread, you're damn lucky and by the grace of God, you got by....Or, maybe the UA hasn't come back yet. Unfortunately, you had the double whammy going on...A med in your system that wasn't supposed to be there, and the absence of one that should. As a side note, I feel quite sure that at my clinic, if a patient said they quit taking something for some reason, they wouldn't script it anymore....Or a lot less of it.

Last thing....During this conversation I explained above, the lady said that if people fess up before the test, or once they first learn of the impending test, they will send you to addiction counseling and assuming you do ok, they'll keep you as a patient. Now this is for minor infractions, not getting caught doing illegals like coke or pot. However, if you don't fess up and get caught, it's over.

Just thought I'd pass along the above for all to keep in mind. It's important to note that these UAs are specifically administered to catch cheats, and eventually they get lazy and slip up somewhere. After all, the Doc MUST protect himself and the other patients. I have to be honest, I'd be just as happy for them to test everyone everytime....Make it part of your appointment...They could even draw a quick vile of blood to speed up the whole process. This would certainly weed a lot of folks out and would do the whole pain industry some good.

Good luck.

Last edited by Executor; 02-13-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I agree, and I know if he would of done a blood test he would of gotten a corrrect test result. I don't think the test he used was an accurate one. I think he knew it too. I too would love to see the tests done on every visit, making things easier for us honest patients. The test he did took less than 3 minutes, I don't even think something like that is possible.
A simple blood test would of told him everything.
That's why I think he didn't turn me away. Beside's I didn't take Lortab on a regular basis at the time, and it was a very low dose, so he could just look at me and see it in my eyes, face, skin, teeth, you name it!
I've had my other doctors forever and they sent me to him, and i am sure he called them. They know me and my fear of meds. and how impossible it is to get me to try something.
But, I do agree with you 100% and it's a very good point!
Sandollar

Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The other thing you have going for you is your well documented history of pain and medical problems. Thus, you'll probably be given the benefit of the doubt in some cases. However, I wouldn't push it because someone like you really needs the pain meds and if you put the Doc in a bad position legally, he will have no recourse but to dismiss you. Good luck and hope everything turns out ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to Executor For This Useful Post:
textreme (04-26-2011)
Closed Thread