It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User
Question Searching for drug free pain control techniques

Hello fellow pain sufferers. I have an advanced neuroaxonal sensory motor peripheral neuropathy, and after years of non narcotic drugs I ended up on narcotics to control neuropathic pain the last ten years. I take oxycontin, 20mg twice a day, and have oxycodone 10mg short acting pills which I can use 2 per day for breakthrough pain. I have realized that there are times when I can use my mind to just about control the pain signals coming from my feet, those burning cramping sensations that injured nerves send out pain signals to my brain. But as soon as I divert my attention, I am right back to where I was. I hate being on drugs, it makes me feel trapped, I feel my personality is affected, I don't feel joyous, but I do manage to get pain relief. If anyone reading this has learned how to live narcotic free by using some type of mind control, not lyrica or cymbalta or neurontin (i have been on all of those and many other medicines off and on for years - to no effect), please share your secrets with the board. I know I cannot cure this inherited form, a disease that is destroying not only my peripheral nervous system, but slowly the tendons, ligaments and muscles that control the feet and legs; but if I could learn how to live and use my consciousness to control pain instead of drugs, I would be much happier. Thanks to ***** and to all of you for being here, we find strength in our community, and I wish for everyone a peaceful and wonderful new year.....Paulo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Searching for drug free pain control techniques

Hi Paulo,

We are neighbors! I know from experience there are many fine alternative medical practices in our area, I have a friend searching for help this was for inoperable cancer.

I consider everything we try that works for pain even a little bit, should be added to our personal 'tool box' of pain remedys. You may never be opiate free, but you can certainly lower your dosages by quite a bit by mixing other modalities into it.

Things I have heard of that helped but have had no direct contact with include accupuncture and auroma therapy. I have personally had relief, although never enough for it to be the sole remedy, with massage and water therepy, including no impact shallow water areobics. Herbal remedys have helped in the past, but please remember some of these are strong and can have interactions with your prescribed western medicines, please do not take any herbal medication without the knowledge and approval of your doctor and pharmacist.

Good luck, and remember, dont see it as a failure if you are unable to find a non western medicine that will work for you as a cure all, anything you do that adds to your 'tool box' is a big help and will lower your need for everything else.

Your Friend (and neighbor!) Fabby

Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User
Re: Searching for drug free pain control techniques

Hi Fabby,
Nice to know I have a neighbor! Thanks for the advice. I am open to almost everything, and have tried with some results acupuncture, meditation, biofeedback, hydrotherapy, massage and so on. If I could afford it and found a really good acupuncturist I would go daily, as a good one can really make a difference. I know the key is in my mind, and the more I send my conscious awareness to the pain producing sites and practice a thought stopping technique that I used to use with some of my patients who suffered from depression and ruminated excessively, the better I feel. I can feel that there is truly a key in the mind that when found can unlock that mysterious door where some of the controls are. I just need to keep looking, it is there. Peace and good will to you....Paulo

Closed Thread