It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Question What is a pain psychiatrist?

What us a pain Psychiatrist and what do they do?

Why would my NS send me to one?

He said that he would send me for another MRI and to the Pain Psych and then a possible diskogram.

I hope they are not thinking that I am fulll of it and that my pain is not real.

Or is something that others have been to it.

Anyway anybody every been to one or know anything about them???

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: What is a pain psychiatrist?

Do you mean a physicist? My insurance company uses these. They believe in using other methods to relieve pain such as crystals, oils, accupuncture, massage, exercise, biofeedback, nerve blocks, etc. They typically don't perscribed medicine. They give an evaluation and input to the perscribing doctor. This is the way my insurance companies is run.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Hi Pepper,

No actually that is what I meant! Psychiatrist. One friend of mine said that he had to go to one and they made him do a multiple choice questions thing and that was all he could really remember as it was a long time ago. He seemed to think that it is to find out if you really do have pain and or if your trying to seek drugs.
Really I am just at a loss and I am seem to be having a real hard time dealing with things right now.
I think that I have had the chronic pain now begining with my arm stuff and I see a bit of a pattern where I get really worn out and down a lot and the pain does not get much better and I notice it will happen during times of uncertainties as well. Some of that is going on now.
Eventually I pull out of it and remember that God will do for me what I can not do for my self and he always see's me thrpugh to a better place.
So who knows.
It will be an interseting topic to see what people say.
More will be reveiled...
Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 02-01-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Chrissy:

When I first started into PM, my doc had me visit the Pain Psychiatrist on staff. I also did a test much like you described. This test helps weed out malingerers, (fakers), as well as addresses potential emotional/behavioral issues that may need to be addressed. Because of the nature of the test, it's very hard to "fake". It is a multiple choice test. The test I took was called the MMPI. The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI). "The MMPI is one of the most frequently used personality tests in the mental health fields. This assessment, or test, was designed to help identify personal, social, and behavioral problems in psychiatric patients. The test helps provide relevant information to aid in problem identification, diagnosis, and treatment planning for the patient."

I would not be insulted if I were you that your doc has asked you to do this. I don't know if this is the test you are referring to, but know that (generally) your PM has your best interest at heart, and it sounds to me he/she is willing to look at all aspects of treatment of your pain. Unfortunately, with chronic pain, often the secondary issue of depression and/or anxiety tags along. It is something that many of us CP'ers have to learn to deal with, and having a Psychiatriast on staff makes me comfortable in knowing if I have an "issue" pop up like depression, or guilt of taking meds as I talked about in another thread, that I have someone I can help me deal with this IN my PM clinic and am not either A) having to look outside of the PM clince to address my emotional issues or B) just not having the resources to deal with these other isuess that often go along with CP at all as some folks do (because of their docs practice belief that of just not dealing with the whole person). Am I making sense....I seem to be rambling today!!

What I'm trying to say is that MY PM clinic is a "one stop shop"...it does all of the modalities associated with PM right there in the clinic....Physical Therapy, Injections, Chiro., Medications, and Psychotherapy, etc, all in the SAME place. So the clinic basically is treating the WHOLE person and not just one part of the person.

Good luck Chrissy, I'm pulling for you, and have been praying for you along your journey.

Blessings,

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Chrissy:
I would not look to much into it either. I don't think your doctor thinks you are faking this or that it is all in your head. I am sure that he does have your best interest at heart. I am sure he is thinking that you might be having problems with depression and the Cymbalta is not fully treating the issue. Although you could definitely ask about increasing it like I had suggested in another post. I have taken the MMPI when I was at the Cleveland Clininc Chronic Pain Rehab program. It does really help to determine any mental/emotional/social issues that may be a problem. It really is meant to help you. I would go in with an OPEN mind and don't prejudge anything. Just don't think to much about how is this answer going to be judged or thought of. There are no wrong answers with that test and it helps to show your mentality/personality on paper. We're here supporting you.

Brian

Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Ditto on what the others said. Remember what I said the other day about loss/ grief? This is the Dr I was talking about. My PM Dr's office has many types of Dr's on staff, including the pain phsycologist. They can help teach you tools to help along with the medication- you will find them willing to spend more time with you.the tests are to understand you. Questions like multiple choice questions- not bad. This referral is common in complicated cases.think of it like a pain coach.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Thanks eveyone,

I already feel much better about it. I am not actually in PM at this time. I am still getting the meds from my NS. I will be 30 days post op on the 8th of this month.

I called the office yesterday and got an MRI with and without contrast scheduled of my c-spine.
When I called his office I asked about the Psychiatrist and the gal at his office said that the MRI was the only thing he had on his notes for me. She did mention about other testing but I think she was referring to the diskogram which I will not look forward to but I know it will be necessary.

I have a more open mind about the entire thing.
I just want to feel better and I trust my doc so I will do what he suggests and see what happens.

I actually felt some of my old symptoms this morning and over the last few days. Anyway today is my long day at school so I am not really looking forward to it because I am usually leaving with a very very high pain level.

So in Gods hands for the day thats all I can do!
Chrissy

Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Chrissy,

Please have your self together when you go to see this doc. My wife who has a brain tumor was sent to see one of these and basically they weed out the drug seekers from the folks who have legitimate pain that warrents treatment. The one my wife saw was extremely rude and proceeded to tell my wife that she was an addict. That was some time ago and she is recieving proper care now but it was a major blow when it happened. Good Luck to you.....JoJo

Closed Thread