It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Sleepless Nights and Pain

I know we are all faced with this from time to time and I seem to be stuck in a rut since the end of November. I am very lucky if I sleep from 3 am to 6 am. I am running on empty....if I am lucky I will fall asleep in my recliner for an hour md-day.

My current meds are:

Oxycontin 20 mg. at bedtime
Percocet 10-325 1 tab every 4 to 6 hours
cymbalta 20 mg at bedtime

My doctor has mentioned that we may switch to methadone.

I am seeing my doctor on Wednesday and I was wondering what meds you take to make you sleep at night. I can't take elavil due to an allergic reaction. Any other ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
(female)

barbie62 HB User
Re: Sleepless Nights and Pain

Hey Pepper, I too have sleepless nights and can't stay awake during the day. I am not sure if it is the meds that keep me awake at night or make me sleepy during the day. I do take methadone. I have finally found someone who will give me what I need in terms of meds and dosage. I am not thrilled with him as an over all doctor but he will work for now. Any way I have just gotten up to my prescribed dosage of Methadone and most of the time I do feel a differeance but I am not sure if it is making me sleepy. I do not do much so it doesnt really matter when I sleep. Just so I do not feel so much pain. Sorry I do not have an answer for you but at least you know we are in the same boat.
I hope you get a little sleep,
Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey pepper,
I cut my amitryptiline dosage in half about a month ago because the side effects were getting troublesome. I haven't slept well since.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Yep, here I am at 4:22am posting. I sure wish I was still on the methadone.

Diet, I really think the sleeplessness will be a thing of the past as soon as you're taking methodone. FWIW, I say get on that as soon as you can and getting enough sleep will be the least of your concerns.

steve

Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

I think I am having a britney (lol) I havent slept for more than about 3 hour a day for a little over a week. That is until yesterday, I slept all day! until 4 pm, I think due to the mobic. So of course I didn't sleep at all last night. I fell asleeo at 6am and got up at 10;30 this am. I am trying to not take my pain meds to close to bedtime. I have found that pain meds seem to work a little backwards on me. They make me hyper especially percocet. I have never taken oxycontin so I don't know about that. I do agree with previous poster who said that taking methadone will probably have you sleeping. I have friends that take that and the talked about sleeping a lot. Have you ever tried ambien? It's pretty good. It can at least get you out of the cycle of sleeping when you shouldn't. I am going to ask for a refill tomorrow. Anyway I hope this info is useful. Take Care and here's to a full nights sleep. Dee

P.S. Happy Super Bowl

Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

OMG not sleeping is the absolute pits. I was having issues in Nov. as well and my dr. suggested we may try ambien. I was really not keen on that idea so i just take 1 benedryl on those rough nights and 90% of the time it helps. I really hope you can find something to help you because not sleeping plays hell on someone with CP!!! GL and God bless, morgyporgy

Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I think I will give Benadryl a try tonight. I guess it can't hurt me to take it. It generally knocks me out but I guess that is the affect I am looking for.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hi DDP:

I take two benadryl every night as part of my sleep regimine, and even WITH that and a 4mg Zanaflex, I'm still lucky to get 4 hours of sleep per night. It's only when I get flat "wore out" that I get more than 4 hours. It truely sucks that my muscle spasams are keeping me up the way they are. They decide to go into full swing as soon as I lay down.

I plan to discuss this with the doctor AGAIN when I see him for my monthly appt. next Wednesday. I'm hoping to do something. I was taking Lunesta for a while...but I don't like taking all that stuff...and he wasn't very comfortable prescribing a "sleep aid" for more than a month or two at a time. Perhaps it is time to re-look at elavil again. I was on that for a while, and we discontinued that, but right now, I can't even remember why. I wasn't due to side effects, because I had used it effectively for over a year. Perhaps it was due to the lenght of time on it or something...I just can't remember right now. Anyhoo, lack of sleep is a sore subject with me, and I hope to get some relief come mid week. I work as a college instructor, and not only do I teach full days, but I also teach two night classes. So, I'm a walking Zombie right now.

Good luck to you, I hope you can find a solution to your problem.

Blessing,

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

I think many of us go through this.
I got into online gaming mmorpgs and that has helped esepcaily in wee hours of the morning when no one else is up i have folks to chat with and get to play a game if i can move at the time.
Create a sanctuary in your room. No work done in room.
Have a noise sound machine of white noise, Get a ele cheapo mp3 player with easy listening music
Dress either warmly or otherwise if get night sweats
Try sleepy time tea celeste seasons. Also for some melatonin helps
Try not to get to nervous about not sleeping, If all else fails try reading old testament or watching discovery channel
that sometimes works like charm

Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Pepper~
I take a half of a trazadone at night for sleep...sometimes a whole. If you take it too late though, like 2 am, or so, youll have trouble getting up in the a.m.
You are always so kind to everyone here and on the back board, I just wanted to say Ill be thinking of you~
Prayers~
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
(male)

bass11 HB User

not sleeping is the pits im taking about the same meds you are but instead of cybalta I take lexapro, its suposed to have a anti-anxiety agent in it that helps great speacilly if thats what is one of the few reason a person cant sleep. its funny never seen people talking about not sleeping well before and all of a sudden everyone seems to be in your shoes. pepper i have taken the abien before and it works great an is easy to quit taking, just make sure you get the CR (CONTROLLED RELEASE) PILLS . My doc called in the regular wich is generic for me, does good with falling asleep , but i get up 2-3 hours later well better than no sleep at all ,lol got to wait a full month for insurance to pay for the cr to them its the same. so any remedies you guy and ladies have please share.... I did drink a green tea with peppermint and chamomile seems to relax a bit
hope you find sleepful nights soon or just get on here and we can chat
may I ask why your thinking of taking the methodone you dont have to answer that either . as far as elavil it did nothing for me either just like the regular abien good luck im going to try and get some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs hopefully

Last edited by bass11; 02-03-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Bass, feel free to ask me anything anytime. I am a pretty open person.

On my last visit with my GP, he stated that he was probably going to switch me to methadone and wanted me to research it. Personally he does not like oxycontin in light of all the publicity, drug of choice for addicts, he is worried about his patients safety who are on it, etc.

After the results that others have had on methadone, I am looking forward to a change because my pain is sitting around an 7/8 most days even on the meds that I am taking now.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and by the way the Benadry did not help.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Hi DDD, I thought of two things you might try. Unisom sleep tabs (doxylamine succinate) or maybe Valerian, its an herbal smells terrible but will make you sleepy. If you have an herbal drugstore you might ask them for suggestions. Oh I just thought of a third thing its gonna sound strange but dramamine( original formula). That used to knock me out. If you ask for a prescription and you don't like ambien, restoril is pretty good and is available generically. I hope you get some good sleep soon. I got a whole 2 hours last night. Take Care, Dee

Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi Pepper, sorry to hear that you are having a hard time sleeping. I know after several nights of no sleep it can really make you feel like you are dragging, walking around in a fog & just kind of sick. I dread that feeling. I took a small dose of xanax or valium at bedtime, which usually did it for me, but opted to go off them while on all the pain meds. My GP feels that in the future I should probably attempt taking one of them at bedtime to help me sleep, I have acouple problems that occur while I am trying to sleep. I know it can really get to you, so I hope you are able to come up with something that will help you out. Good luck Sammy

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

123diet i was thinking hard about you last night. Went through some really bad moments ( i guess active flare up stage). I felt like the old cartoons where the hand swelled up on cat if something hit him .. I could litterly feel the elbows knees hands filled with imflamtion of course no sleep when it is that bad.
Use to be i would run nto my rhumys, now a days i pretty much just rest and take the meds.
The point i would love to get to is stop being fear full when the known symptoms hit. Just let it happen let it go and move on when it passes.....
aarrrg....
Still thanking goodness for the more normal moments!

Closed Thread