It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User
What narcotics are similar to oxycontin?

I have an appt tomorrow morning with my GP to discuss the possibility of her taking over prescribing my meds.

I currently take oxycontin 20 mg's 2x/day, percocet 10/325 mg's 3x/day as needed for breakthrough pain...I also take topamax 100 mg's at bedtime and flexeril as needed.

I know many doctors are afraid to prescribe oxycontin because of the abuse potential and street value, so I need to be prepared for the possibility that my GP may be willing to take over my meds but not willing to prescribe oxy.

My question is...what are some pain meds similar in strength to oxy? I'm interested in meds that work as well as oxy and is also long lasting like oxy.

I need to be well-prepared...to have all my bases covered...just in case...I am hoping and praying my GP is the compassionate doctor I so desperately need right now...please keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning.

Thank You .

Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: What narcotics are similar to oxycontin?

If your doc is willing to Rx the Percocet, then I expect he'll also Rx Oxycontin, as oxycodone is the narcotic in both.

Morphine is similar, however oxy is about 50% more potent. Dilaudid is somewhat similar, but about 3 times more potent than oxy. I personally favor methadone which is similar but dosing is complex.

Hope this helps.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

lizzybrog80 HB User

Yeah, there are long-acting meds that have morphine as the narcotic - one, which I'm on, is Avinza. It lasts for 24 hours, so you only have to take it once a day. I know there's another LA morphine pill called Kadian. Then there are the Fentanyl patches, which I'm actually going to be switched to, I think the generic is called Durogesic. Hope that helps.
End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

I agree with the other post about similiar meds...But, I know my doc will not rx Oxycontin, even though he does rx oxy ir/percocet...OC has such a bad stigma and many docs will not rx it.

Also, if you are needing more pain control, your GP might want to switch to something else to try and give you better results without increasing your dose.

Good luck with everything. I hope he helps you.

sammiejoe

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

We are on the same meds and when I last saw my GP doctor last month he mentioned switching me to methadone. I was put on oxycontin by my surgeon who quit prescribing me my pain meds so my GP main goal last month was to try and stabilize me and add cymbalta to my meds. He did not want to change multiple meds at the same time because then we would not know if I had a side effect what meds were causing the side effects and/or on the flip side what meds helped me.

My GP stated that he does not like oxycontin personally because of all the publicity of it, high incidence of crime associated with it and his concern for my saftey being on it. He told me that we would more than likely switch me to methadone and/or he would start me on a taper of the oxy.

Fabby has a thread on this board about methadone you might want to read and her amazing success with it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

My appt with my GP went well yesterday...I'm happy to report she gladly agreed to take over prescribing my meds long-term, not short-term...I feel like a HUGE weight has been lifted...I only wish I had not spent the last 2 years wasting my time with incompetent PM doctors...anyway...my doctor said she doesn't have a problem prescribing oxy but she thinks maybe my body needs a break from it, maybe I've been on it too long and that's why it's not working as well...she said methodone would be ideal for me but she fears I might experience some withdrawal while transitioning from oxy to methodone, so she decided to switch me to the duragesic patch (50 mg's)...she said the patch come in 25, 50, 75 and 100 mg's...she told me to be patient with her b/c it might take some time and some adjusting to get my pain under control...her goal is to get my pain level down to about a 4...right now my pain is averaging about an 8 everyday...she said an 8 is unacceptable (I couldn't agree more)...I told her I thought I could probably run a marathon if my pain level was a 4...I have enough oxy to last until next friday, so I'll start the patch next saturday, she made it very clear to call her if the 50 mg patch does not control my pain better or if my pain gets worse than it is now...she is still prescribing percocet for breakthrough pain.

I'm not familiar with the duragesic patch...any good or bad experiences with it? My doctor did say getting it to stay on can sometimes be a challenge.

I sincerely appreciate all of your replies. Thank you .

Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Hi, I have a few questions if you do not mind. How long have you been on o.c. and where is your pain? I have been in pain for 6 months now due to tmjd and body pain, poss. fibromyalgia. I have been on vicoprofen, but it was not enough anymore. My dr. put me on o.c. 20 mg 2 times daily a couple of weeks ago, and I still needed vicoprofen for breakthrough pain. Today, he increased my o.c. to 40 mg 2 times daily. I was still taking too much vicoprofen, 12 or so a day, and still my pain was not under control. So hopefully, the increase will help, and I will only need vicoprofen every once in awhile. I also take flexerill, and valium for muscle relaxants. I have never had chronic pain before, and I am scared. I stay at home and have 2 boys to take care of. I am meeting with 2 new surgeons this week, and I hope they can help me by surgery, other suggestions, and my insurance company for approval of surgery. Thank you for you time, and good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

The duragesic patch (which is a brand name, The actual narcotic is called fentenal), is a very strong pain killer (100x stronger than morphine) however if dosed correctly is very effective. The good thing about it is you stick one on and forget about it for 3 days. It is a steady round the clock form of relief. Good Luck.....JoJo

Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

scrappinmaniac,

I believe you'll find good pain control with the 50µg patch. If not, you have the percocet too. I would have expected the doc to start you with the 25µg patch, so a 50 is, in my opinion, a fairly big step up in potency.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hi Kass ,

I have been on oxy since April 2007...I have back problems...degenerative disc disease (which basically means even though I'm only in my late twenties I'm going to be dealing with back problems/chronic pain for the rest of my life ), bulging and herniated discs in my thoracic and lumbar areas of my back...my sciatic nerve is compressed by one of the herniated discs causing my left leg and foot to be permanently numb...99% of my pain is in my back.

TMJD causes nerve pain, doesn't it? If I'm right, you should talk with your doctor about the possibility of letting you try a nerve medicine, like topamax or lyrica. I take topamax and have previously taken lyrica and have not experienced any bad side effects with either...I like topamax better b/c it decreases my appetite so I've been able to lose 35 lbs in the last 3 mths...I think adding a nerve med might help with your pain as well...I've learned that every little bit helps when you're dealing with chronic pain.

I've heard fibromyalgia is extremely painful...I think the oxy increase will be a huge help, I happen to like oxy, I think its a great pain med but like any pain med, over time, your body will build up a tolerance to your current dose so you will have to keep increasing the amt you take...I don't think you'll have to increase frequently as long as your doctor increases adequately when it's necessary.

I hope your pain level is much more manageable once your body adjusts to the new dose...it usually takes about 3-4 days for the oxy to build up in your body and to start working, so don't be surprised if you don't notice a decrease in your pain level for the first few days.

Good luck with your surgeon appts this week...please let me know how they go and if there is anything surgical they can do to help decrease your pain...I'm very interested to know b/c I have a young friend (19) that has recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (she also has back problems) and she's having a really difficult time accepting it, she's depressed and feels very alone and I can't say I blame her, someone that young shouldn't have to deal with such BIG medical problems.

I stay at home too...I have one son, he's 2 yrs old, my pain certainly poses a challenge most days...yes, it's a struggle to chase after him all day but he keeps my spirits high and diverts my attention somewhere other than on my pain...aren't kids wonderful? I'm sure you can agree.

If I didn't answer all of your questions, or if you have any other questions, let me or anyone else here know....the people here are absolutely wonderful as I'm sure you can tell from reading some of the threads.

Keep us posted, we want to know how you're doing!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Steve and JoJo - Thanks for your replies. Have either of you been on the patch before? If so, did you experience any side effects that were bad enough to stop using the patch? I am glad to hear it's a strong pain med, that's what I need, I'm just hoping I don't experience any terrible side effects. Maybe I will either have very few side effects or none at all, b/c I've been on narcotics for years. I guess only time will tell.

Closed Thread