It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User
Unhappy I get pain in my right side when I take Vicodin

I have been off and on Vicodin since October, I am 32 years old and I have osteoporosis in my lumbar spine, along with osteoarthritis, and Degenerative disc disease, and a bulging disc in my lumbar spine that has been giving me sciatic pain.
My doctor tells me that I do not need pain medicine because I don't have pain that is not controlled by Tylenol or Advil. The only thing that does take my pain away is a narcotic pain reliever.
I slipped and fell on the ice last Monday, and the doctor ordered and x-ray which I doubt will show anything, he will need to get another MRI, but I am all for it, but in the mean time he gave me some Vicodin ES, I had told him that the ES was giving me acid reflux really bad, and could he lower the dose of Tylenol, I know they make the ES in 7.5/325mg, but he gave me the 7.5/750mg instead....Why??
He told me to take the pill and break it in half....... ok what the heck is that suppose to do for my pain?
The one full tab barely touches my pain and then I get the worst acid reflux in the world that even Pepcid doesn't touch, so I stopped taking the Vicodin.
I don't know what to do about all of this, I hurt, doesn't anyone understand pain??? I am in school taking pre-requisites for nursing, and I am wondering why?? I don't want to work with anyone who is not sympathetic to their patients. I want a doctor who will listen to me..... my pain is real, not made up, my MRI and bone scans prove that...

But I guess my initial question was, about half hour after taking Vicodin my right side begins to hurt, I cannot find any info on this at all, and any suggestions as to where to look would be awesome.
MY right side doesn't just hurt, I double over in pain.... it feels like someone is taking a knife and stabbing me, and twisting the knife back and forth...
it feels like nerves, but I am not sure. It is not my gallbladder as that was removed last may for being diseased.

My heart goes out to all of the people on here dealing with Chronic pain, I hope that you all get the help you need, I on the other hand live in a small town with only 1 pain management doctor and he is booked beyond booked.
There are not too many docs here in my town willing to give narcotics hand over fist, because they have to answer to the DEA, and the state.
I understand all of that but being so afraid to prescribe medication to people only makes us people worse.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent!!
Good luck and god bless you!!!

Last edited by fairyprincess75; 02-11-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: I get pain in my right side when I take Vicodin

I would definitely ask this doc how he knows that my pain doesn't require a narcotic pain reliever. I'd really be interested in his answer. he may say that this is what is written in the literature. Then I'd ask him, what meds controlled his pain when he had my condition.

Right sided pain - Hydrocodone causes the peristalsis in your intestines to slow dramatically. This means that undigested food and stool remain in place much longer. As soon as a dose is absorbed in the gut it begins this process. You may need to be sure to take in lots of fiber and use a stool softener regularly. This is something for all patients on narcotics to consider. It's part and parcel of PM.

Best Of Luck with this doc!

steve

Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User

That's my thing, no one really thinks I have pain even though I have 4 different diagnosis on my back alone.
That is not including my chronic kidney stones.... I am only 32 years old, I am tired of being told that what I feel is not real....
Thanks for your reply, that pain in the side is a real pain!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have a couple of questions for you. You said that it may be from the tylenol in the dose. Does regular tylenol do this to you as well? If so then you might need to be on something else. Ask if you could swith to something like a morphine type medication. They don't have any tylenol in them and may work better for you. They have low doses as well. I would also suggest that you take either a stool softener or Miralax since the narcotic medications tend to be very constipating. I hope things get better.

Brian

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User

I am struggling right now to get my doctor to give me anything, he tried to give me Mobic today. I fell down last week and having osteoporosis at 32 years old and falling. I went through x-rays, and he still feels I don't need meds????? Make sense????
I am really fed up with this treatment.
I once tried just the oxycodone without any tylenol and that was the first medication that took all my pain away. I cannot get anyone to listen to me.... let alone prescibe me anything and in my town there is only 1 PM doctor...and he is booked up for months....

Frustration to say the least..... I want to ask for the oxys but am afraid to, especially since in his expert PA.....opinion I have no reason to have pain...Nope falling down and having a hairline fracture in my spine along with osteoarthritis and bulging disc and sciatic pain...NOPE>.... guess no reason for pain meds.....
Thanks for letting me vent this is getting so old....the fighting with people cause I hurt... I really hurt....
You I do get that way with just tylenol.... so I think my next med needs to be tylenol free... that oxycodone that I spoke of is calle roxicodone.... that works wonders... I don't know...
Thank you again...for everything.... :-)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

well it doesn't really matter why the vicadin is giving you pain when it doesn't work anyhow so its irrelivent I guess. it is a good pain medication and I am shocked it does nothing for your pain.

Have you tried taking it with an antacid like pepcid or mylanta? anything to coat your stomach before you take the pill?

Since your Dr won't give you what you know works, I would make an apt with the PM doc, even though its months out, there could be a cancellation but since your pain sounds chronic, you should go ahead and make the apt!! you have really no other options at this point, since your Dr refuses to give you the oxycodone, but from reading your post, you never came right out and asked for it. why don't you try that? Just come right out and say, Look, I am in pain and the oxy worked last time, can you please give me some more for my pain. Be firm and ask for what you know works.

good luck!

SS

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

So I see you have tried pepcid and it does not help. try something else than. go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist what he would suggest you try and see if you can something that works quicker than pepcid ac does.

that might help. Norco is the same as vicadin ES but less tylenol in it, see if you can try this, but I would just ask for the oxycodone if it worked that well last time you tried it. did you ask him for it?

SS

Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User

I have asked for the oxycodone, but I have also tried the tiny little pills roxicodone years ago, but I called them at 8 am and I am still sitting here in pain and its almost 5 pm and they close at 5. If I don't get a call I will have to spend 4 hours in the ER because the MA didn't call me.
I am a CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) and when I was working my patients came first. I don't know why it takes so long to respond to a person's phone call.
I am very frustrated.....

Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Fairy, be careful about going to the ER room and getting a script for narcotics, A lot of times they won't offer you any if your seeing a pain Dr Aalready. This could really be detrimental to your pain Dr relationship. It is awful they aren't calling you back but a lot of PM'S make calls at night as there busy seeing patinets during the day... If you need a script for oxycodone you will have to go in and get it as it can't be called in, unless you live in California. it's different from state to state. I hope you get relief soon. You can try taking 2 vicadins with some antacids if the pain gets that bad, but ask your Dr's nurse if this is okay before you take 2 tablets at once.

SS

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User

SS-

This doctor is not a PM....oh how I wish he was a PM, I saw him today and he told me that there is no reason why I need pain meds.... he was comparing my pain to his ruptured disc that he suffered 7 months ago. I guess he figures that if he can deal with it then so can I.
My MRI from October showed my Osteoarthritis, and DDD, and the bulging disc, no sciatic nerve impingment.... then... I told him that I have sciatic pain and my feet are numb and my legs hurt to even stand. He said that I cannot have sciatic pain because it didn't show in Octobers MRI......
I was so frustrated.... I walked out of his office today with NO...... Pain medication at all. He gave me some prednisone......... I was like wow..... ***..... I ask him to refer me to a PM or neurologist, but he said it would take a couple weeks to just try and get me in b/c he has to make a plan for me..... what plan to let me sit here in pain with NO.... meds at all.
I told him that pain is subjective, and he said yes but in my objective opinion you don't need long term narcotics..... Oh.... I guess I will just tell the pain from my 4 dx on my lumbar spine that they are not real and they don't cause me pain, as I cry getting out of bed every morning and I can't even play with my kids.....
I don't know what to do ???

Thanks SS for your reply... I am gonna start a new thread too, about the pains of docs that don't listen.....LOL...
;-) Fairy

Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Fairy, well that is horrible. I would defitnley start your search for a good PM Dr, as this guy has no compassion for you, I am so sorry you are left to suffer....

I owuld start your search now and get a good Dr to help with your issues.

Hugs, SS

Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Fairy
That is truly a very uncaring and not very knowledgable doctor at all when it comes to chronic pain. A person that truly does have "Chronic Pain" is considered to have a disease. It happens when you have either an injury or surgery and the pain continues long after complete healing should be done. I had 4 different surgeries on my feet and now have chronic nerve pain. The thing with chronic pain is that it involves your nervous system. The area that was damaged, injured, or operated on continues to send pain signal to your brain. So, you can do test after test and MRI's, CT scans etc. and they will come back normaly because there is nothing physically wrong there that can be detected. This does not mean that the pain is all in your head. The pain is definitely real and definitely needs to be controlled and managed. It is unfortuate that your doctor is so ignorant to these facts. It is a shame that not only do you have to find a PM doc but now you will go through withdrawal from the meds. I don't know if you can see your PCP in the mean time to get your meds until you see a PM doc or neurologist but that is what I would suggest. Keep trying and we are here for your support.

Brian

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #13
(female)

fairyprincess75 HB User

Thank you Brian-
I so appreciate your words, I use to feel like I was alone until I got on this message board, what a great thing to have so many people be there for each other, I appreciate it so much.
I was told my my doctor that I fired that my pain was eminating from my sexual abuse that I suffered for 9 years, from the time I was 8 to 17, she said that my pain was all in my head and I needed to deal with my mental state....
Well, her butt was fired..... I go to therapy... I have been in therapy, but to have someone tell me that it is in my head...
That makes me angry....
I am in withdrawl mode right now... and this sucks.... I hurt so bad and I must get up out of bed at 630 am and get to school by 830 am.... I am in college, I cannot miss school because my doctor is uncaring...
This is no fun, but I so appreciate your post, what a wonderful group of people we have here.... Support...that is one of the most important things in life...
I am sorry for all your pain, I hope you are being managed properly, thank you for everything.. I always look forward to new post....
You rock!!@!

Fairy!!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

punkin5550 HB User

Hi FairyPrincess75, I don't normally post but when I read your post about the docs that do not care nor understand, I might as well been reading my own story I am 36 and when I first started having pain it was shortly after my 30th b-day. I was always active then one day my right leg out of the clear blue when I would stand more than 5 min at a time would go numb and go out from under me. Long story short lots and lots of pain, back surgery with titanium rods put in between the L4 & L5,and then more pain for years now anyway Im not sure I am supposed to do this but I thought if you ever needed to talk(I know how frustrated you can get and I might be able to give some helpful info or new direction due to what i have been through, anyway I know you dont know me but if you ever need to talk I am here. (EDITED)

Last edited by Mod08; 03-07-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Per posting policy, do not post email addresses.

Closed Thread