It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Exclamation Not Another Pharmacy Error??!!

Yes, indeed another story about pharmacy error. And this was a huge error. I know we get a lot of these stories, but it happened to me and I wanted to share.

My pharmacy has two full time pharmacists and when one of them is away, they have "Fill-in" pharmacists. Yesterday was one of those days. There were two fill-in pharmacists.

It was refill day for me. Picked up my scrips and they told me they were short on one of my meds and that the rest will be in in about a day or two. No biggie.

Last night, I went to put my meds away and noticed that one of the bottles was much smaller. I immediately thought it was the one that they didn't have all of, but thank goodness I looked closer because it was one of my other meds. I get 180 of this particular med every month. Six pills a day x 30 days.

There were not 180 pills in the bottle, instead 120. I was struck dumb with terror even though my level head told me it can be fixed. Well, I went to the pharmacy today and told them very quietly what had happened. I also told them I didn't want to get anyone in trouble. Well, the technician looked at the bottle and immediately said, "180 of these deffinately wouldn't fit in this bottle. They did a count of their stock and found that they had made a mistake and fixed it right away.

I have to say, from now on, I'll check all meds before leaving the pharmacy. I don't really want to do that because I don't want to draw attention, but I'd rather do that then have to worry all night.

I'm so glad they didn't give me the "sideways-you're trying to pull something" look some pharmacies give when something like that happened. They were very (quietly) apologetic.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Please take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Not Another Pharmacy Error??!!

Whewh glad they admitted their error and everything was fixed. I think that I will start doing a count of my meds when I get them as well. We are all human and make mistakes but unfortunately some of us do not want to admit to them which hurts alot of people. Anyway glad to see the crisis was averted and everything is A-OK.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Ozzy...Is it safe to assume the prescription they shorted you on, was a Schedule II medication? I have been shorted before, but it's been a long time ago. I can't imagine myself counting my meds before I leave the pharmacy. I get 540 Methadone tabs a month, so I know how full the big bottle should be, and beyond that I go with their count. They come in bottles of 100, so that means the Pharmacist dumps in five bottles of 100 and only has to count 40 more. It would be pretty bad if they can't count out 40 extra pills.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Either Schedule II or III. Not sure, but I do know it's one of the "lesser" strength meds that can be faxed. Norco.

I just know what size bottles I usually have with all the meds, and this just threw me. Again, I did know deep inside it could be fixed if the pharmacy was honest about it, but you still get that deep seated feeling of panic & dread.

You know, come to think of it, where can you have privacy to count meds at the pharmacy? The little "partician" things they have offer NO privacy and you certainly can't just ask to go behind the counter to count meds.....Hmmmm.

I totally understand not wanting to count over 500 pills. This is just part of the reason being in pain management is not only a priviledge, but a huge responsibility as well.

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Ozzybug:
You could always go to the bathroom at the pharmacy to count the pills. But it would be a bad thing if you dropped any of them on the floor or in the toilet. It is quite a predicament about counting them. I usually look at the bottle before leaving the store and can usually tell if the amount looks right.

Brian

Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I count them when I get home. And luckily I have a wonderful pharmacy and if there were a problem it would be fixed immediately.

steve

Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

What scares me about any type of "shortage" is when you go back to the pharmacy, the person who took them (assuming they are skimming) says "nope, our count is right, you're wrong and trying to pull something." Your word against theirs, and I think any type of authority would go with the pharmacy, unless there was more than one complaint. And, the bottom line is you'd be short that month by how much ever they skimmed. I feel quite sure this has happened .....A lot, unfortunately.

Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

glad things worked out for you ozzy.its good that you let them know asap too.my pharm manger told me the sooner you let them know of a shortage or other problem,the much easier it is to track.,(mine wants to know asap).we as everyone else as well are subject to the human error side of things,which always leaves room for mistakes.if it doesn't look right to you,count it.thats exactly how my little shortage was found out,the bottle did'nt "feel" right and when i opened it up,i could see the bottom of the bottle and knew without a doubt that i had been shorted.made that phone call asap and just told the tech,who had also been the one who had waited on me that 'we" have a problem.they did an immediate count and found their mistake.i don't think that the practice of skimming is something that actually occurs like everyday all the time in every pharmacy,mostly since it wouldn't take long to see some sort of pattern develop,and with the types of monitoring systems in place in many pharms today,the chances of acually getting caught are just pretty high.there are much bigger consequences for any employee who would attempt this than just losing a job ya know?its a huge risk.it is very important to just let your pharm know whats up even if its just a few pills.just letting them know can help them to watch a certain employee a bit more closely.if no one says anything,how are they going to know there may even be a problem?one complaint all by itself may not do a whole lot,but five seperate shortages with different people would certanly get any pharm managers attention,ya know?luckily this only happened to me once,about two fills ago,but the fill in pharms did not follow the proper protocal that my normal pharms do either,that was the biggest thing they did wrong,they broke a protocal that is in place just to prevent this type of thing from happening,and i got shorted 26 pills.luckily,their count was off by exactly 26 pills.my normal pharms,when they have double counted an Rx,alwys circle the quantity and initial it too,this was also missing.that never happened before either.now i know what my pharms normal protocal is,and if the circle isn't there,you can bet,i will be counting.marcia

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
What scares me about any type of "shortage" is when you go back to the pharmacy, the person who took them (assuming they are skimming) says "nope, our count is right, you're wrong and trying to pull something." Your word against theirs, and I think any type of authority would go with the pharmacy, unless there was more than one complaint. And, the bottom line is you'd be short that month by how much ever they skimmed. I feel quite sure this has happened .....A lot, unfortunately.

Glad everything worked out for you.
This is my fear too. It hasn't happened up to now, but I really wonder what would happen if this occurred. I've built up a wonderful relationship with my pharmacy, but I wonder if they would believe me over one of their own. They tend to keep pharmacists and technicians for a very long time, so if this were a newer person they would probably take my word, or at least give me the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully the inventory would be accurate (not fiddled with by the skimmer) and reflect the mistake correctly.

steve

Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I agree Steve. And, this is why it's critical for PM patients to develop relationships with their pharmacists....And this is why I use a independent pharmacy where the pharmacist owns the pharmacy. Given my situation and the meds I'm on, I'd be scared to death to use one of the big chains where substitute pharmacists and substitute tech are run through there all the time. This is where I think skimming is most likely to occur.

Last edited by Executor; 02-14-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did experience what I honestly felt to be "skimming" during my 7 knee surgeries. This was after my 3rd procedure and I had to go in to Virginia to have it done.

After my surgery, we had a 2 hour trip home and it was after 8:00 pm, so we decided to stop at one of the chain pharmacies there because I had to have the meds and couldn't wait until the following moring.

Anyway, I was still loopy and nauseous from anesthesia, so I didn't go in to get the meds. My dad had taken me for the surgery since hubby had to work, so my dad went in to get the meds.

The following moring, I noticed the bottle looked like there were less than 50 pills. I counted them and sure enough 10 were missing. Now, I'm back in North Carolina and the pharmacy is in Virginia.

I called them immediately and they told me they would do a count and the manager would call me in two days when she got back from wherever. Well, I told them that wasn't good enough because I didn't feel this should wait for two days.

Well, an hour later someone claiming to be the pharmacy manager called me and rudely told me that their counts were right and I should stop trying to get extra meds. WHAT???!!! She told me to look at the bottle and check the area where it says how many pills are in the bottle. I did. She said, well that number is circled & initialed, so we are right. (Must be the same chain mentioned in one of the above posts) I told her, "No, the number isn't cirlced or initialed." She then told me that I would have to drive to Virginia and show her the bottle. Again, WHAT??!!?? I just had knee surgery and couldn't drive. I was in a full leg imobilizer. She bluntly told me that they were right, I was wrong & hung up on me. I've never used this chain pharmacy again. (We have one where I live too)

My best friend knows several people who work at this particular place and I called her and told her. She told me she had stopped using them because of the same kind of thing. She also told me that they had recently fired a tech for skimming.

Anyway, that was several years ago, and until this week, I've never had a problem with missing meds. I really am thankful it worked out for me this time because I have to account for my meds and have an appointment in the next week or so. I do have a good relationship with my pharmacy and with my doctor, but if 60 pills were missing, my doctor would dismiss me from the practice. He would have no other choice.

I really appreciate all the input here guys. We all have to be so careful. I know mistakes happen, but it is good to know there are still people who are honest. It could have gone the other way and I'd be up the creek.

Take care everyone!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

In all of my years of PM I have ever been shorted even 1 pill. I use CVS pharmacy now for the past 3.5 years and they are very nice to me and competent. I don't even bother counting my pills anymore as its to much work and I know there not going to steal my meds or short me as the pharmacist is the one that counts them, they don't let the pharmacy techs even touch them so I feel veey secure. I am glad you got this issue resolved though. and I hope it never happens to you again!

SS

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

All it takes is ONE newcomer to the operation and bam, you're shorted. You'd be surprised at how many pharmacists have drug problems. What I don't like about the chains is the rotating pharmacists....or those they call in to "cover" for someone out sick or on vacation.

I used to leave my keys in my car's ignition thinking no one in my small friendly town would ever steal it, until one day, it was gone.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
(female)

jerris45 HB User

Don't your pharmacy have to count your meds 3 times by 3 different people all the ones around here do every time I go my class drugs are counted 3 times the final time bt the senior prarm tech. and I havgfe never had a short if they are the # is circled and the tell me when to pick them up to bring my bottle with me. Jut curious Jerris.

Last edited by jerris45; 02-18-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

my pills are counted 2x and circled before I pick them up.
2 times ago, however, one of my 30 mg oxycodones was split in half-lengthwise-and only half was there. I brought it back and switched it out at the pharmacy-

Closed Thread