It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Dr. won't refill pain meds so soon.

I am so annoyed. I take Oxycodone 10mg. The pain dr. originally wrote the prescription for every 4-6 hours. After a month I had a few days leftover. When she wrote the refill she changed it to twice per day. So that changed the amount. Now I cannot refill them until the 21st and I only have another 3 days left. I called for the refill and the nurse said they will not refill until then. I told her that if she checked the records that the last prescription was written incorrectly and that is leaving me short on meds. Her answer was basically "too bad". I thought they are suppose to be helping us. After my last shot (6th one) the dr. said that the shot will not help the nerve pain in my leg at all. Believe me, it didn't. The pain was unbearable. So I am living in pain because I am trying to stretch my pain meds out. I didn't think that was the purpose of pain managment. What makes me mad is that I was the one that requested I go to Pain Managment because I was sick of just calling for a refill every month from the surgeon. The surgeon was happy as could be to just keep refilling. I'm not addicted or anything. I just want to manage my pain. My next step is radio frequency. I was suppose to see the dr. last week for a consultation for it but I've been really sick with my stomach problems that I had to cancel. Maybe they are annoyed with that. I was at the ER. I'm not just avoiding them. I signed the contract so I will abide by it. Believe, I have other doctors that would give me a prescription if I called them. They know the pain I am in. But I will not break my contract. I will give them a piece of my mind when I see them. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Dr. won't refill pain meds so soon.

Hey Hessie,
I've been a pain patient for years now and I'm just wondering, was your Rx for the time released oxy? or the instant release? If you are a chronic pain patient you should be on a time release med and a breakthrough med. Are you seeing a pain management doc? If you are chronic, I think it would be a good idea.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

If that is the time released oxy then it should have been for either 2 or 3 times per day. I don't know why she would have written if for every 4-6 hours. It sounds like your doctor may have made a mistake. That is really not fair for the doc to let you suffer like this. It makes me so mad when I hear of situtations like this. It also really makes me grateful for the doctor that I have and my situation. If you have nerve pain have they tried you on any of the other meds besides oxycodone. There are many non-narcotic meds that are effective for nerve pain such as Cymbalta, Neurontin, Lyrica, nortriptyline, amitryptiline, Ultram, and Topomax. I would definitely try some of these because they may provide more relief for the nerve pain rather than the oxycodone. I have nerve pain and take Lyrica, Ultram, and the fentanl patch. Hope that helps.

Brian

Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

Wren9 HB User

I'm not sure if I completely understand. Your doctor gave you a new prescription for an increased quantity and the pharmacy won't fill it because they say it's too soon, right? And then when you called your doctor's office for the override, a nurse there said that they would not tell the pharmacy it was ok to fill? Is that correct, because that was the part I was unsure about.

Here's what you need to do if you haven't already. Make SURE the nurse at your doctor's office understands the situation exactly. Confirm that the doctor wants you to start taking that increased amount IMMEDIATELY. (And why would it be otherwise?) Therefore you need an "early refill override" -- due to having taken the increased quantity AS PRESCRIBED you are out of medication early.

Most of the time (but not always) pharmacies will fill the new prescription when they can see that is is 1) an INCREASED amount or 2) a change in dosage or 3) a change in medication (the last one goes without saying). But every once in a while, they either don't understand (no common sense) or they just want to cover their butt by calling the prescribing doctor for confirmation.

I once had the EXACT same thing happen. Whoever answered the phone at my doctor's office failed to understand the specifics and just thought that the pharmacy was asking if it was ok to refill early (which I would never ask them to do!). I had to call my doctor's office personally, speak to my favorite nurse (God love her!) and she called the pharmacy immediately to let them know it was ok to refill the medication "early" because there was an increase in quantity.

Something else doctors will do that may help is they will put an upwards arrow on the script -- which is supposed to indicate the increased quantity or dosage.

Sorry to be so long-winded -- but I hope that was of some help.

-Wren

Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi. Wren, This is what happened. I just started pain management in November. When I started there I still had my pain meds leftover from my surgeon so I never got a prescription from them. I think by my second shot I told the dr. I needed pain meds. I asked if I should get from them or the surgeon. I did not understand the whole pain management system. So they said I should get from them and they gave me the contract to sign. I was taking the Oxycodone with the Tylenol in it. She said I did not need with the Tylenol. So she changed to just Oxycodone 5mg. Then a month later I needed a refill and I told her they were not doing the trick anymore. So she told me to double them up and she said that taking them twice per day was wrong and she changed the prescription to every 4-6 hours. It was fine. I didn't even take them every 4-6 hours unless the pain was really bad. So with my last shot (number 6) I said I needed a refill. I told her I still had a few days left. For some reason she wrote the prescription as 1 to 2 twice per day and gave me the same quantity as the prior month. So if you go by that my refill is not until the 21st. In between all that the pain is getting worse. The dr. doing the shot even said it would not help my leg. My leg is getting worse. Getting electric shocks and bad leg cramps. So it is not the pharmacy. I think the pharmacy has to fill the prescription if I have a new one. Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I bring it up. I have an appt. on the 22nd with the dr. for a consultation for the radio frequency.

What makes me mad is if I have to abide by the contract then don't they? Doesn't the contract say that they will give me meds to stop my pain? I like them and everything but they are like an assembly line. I think the dr. wrote the prescription and just rushed it. You barely get to talk, they put you on the table and knock you out. You never see the dr again. If you try to ask the nurse a question they tell you the dr. is busy with the next patient. I hate to say it is all money, money, money. It was my idea to go which is what really gets me. I asked to go and then called around to find a place that would take my insurance. Another thing is that the shots are not even working. Maybe a tiny bit across the back. The radio frequency is for the leg I guess.

I asked the nurse could they post date the prescription so I could fill on the day it is due and not have to wait even longer to get in the mail. She said no she will not. Like I am a drug addict or something. My goal was to be able to walk to the pharmacy on the 21st and get them filled. If they mail them the 21st then it will be a few days after. I can't drive and pick them up because I have a hard time driving that far. This place picks you up for the shots.

I already take Topamax. I've been on Neurontin and Lyrica. The dr. said any other med is like the Oxycodone so no use changing. I also had gastric bypass surgery so I have to be careful not to take something rough on the stomach. But thanks for the idea.

Sorry to be so long.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update

I got my prescription in the mail today. Remember the nurse said I had to wait until the 21st? Well, on the date they wrote 2/1. I know from experience that the pharmacy will not fill the prescription with a date of 2/1. I will try but I'm sure they won't. Happened to me once before where the dr. forgot to put the date and they refused to fill or even call the dr. for me. I happen to be going in on Friday. If I wasn't going in, I would be waiting even longer for a new prescription in the mail. It is illegal for me to fix the date. Either way I am screwed. That is what makes me mad about the contracts. They could not even take the time to make sure the prescription is filled out correctly.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You definitely need to explain the situation to the doctor when you see him/her. This is just so uncalled for and neglectful. They are supposed to be helping and listening to patients. If this kind of conduct continues to happen I would be searching for a new doctor.

Brian

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another Update

I called the office on Thursday. The nurse apologized over and over. She got the pharmacy to agree to give me 3 days worth and she faxed them a prescription. I was suppose to go in today but we got 10 inches of snow so I had to cancel. My husband is going to pick up the prescription Monday. We have to bring the other one back. Now they are bending over backwards to be nice to me. She is telling me I need to talk to the dr. to get the prescription corrected etc. I really like everything about the place. They just need to spend more time on patient communication.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Final Update On Meds

I finally got in to see the Pain Management Dr. I was so sick the entire month of February that I had to cancel the appt. twice. We discussed the Radio Frequency. I told him that the other dr. changed the frequency of my pain meds so I keep running out early. I even brought in both bottles. One showing the correct dose and the other showing the new one. He asked why and I said I really don't know. He also asked why she gave me 5mg instead of 10mg. I said maybe because I could take only one if needed. I guess she did not write anything down. He said then you can break in half. So he said he would get the medication nurse. She is the one I talked to on the phone. She came out with a new prescription for 10mg 160 count. So I am set and will not have to ration my meds another month. The 5mg were useless. He asked me why she changed them and took the Tylenol out. I said she said I did not need it. Now I just got diagnosed with a Fatty Liver so don't know if the Tylenol in the Oxycodone I took for over a year contributed or not. Never get a straight answer on that question.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hessie- Glad to hear everything worked out! You are so right....Good communication is key! I really feel for those patients who are either medically not able to understand everything, or just don't know what questions to ask. Letting people needlessly run out of these meds is a very serious situation!

Thanks for the update.

Ex

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are not kidding. Just when I thought it was safe........... I had my husband drop off the new prescription today. I get a call from the Pain Management nurse saying that the pharmacy called them. Guess she is on call today. Apparently they don't make Oxycodone in 10mg. So no prescription. She called me back three times. Finally they decided to give me Percocet 10mg with the Tylenol. Of course the pharmacy will not fill without the paper prescription. They kept the old one. So now another ride to the dr. to pick it up. Luckily my husband works down the street from them so he will pick up. I originally was taking the 5mg which the dr. said to double up on. The dr. I saw Friday could not understand why she did not just give me 10mg. Guess we know now. They don't make it. You would think an experienced pain dr. would know that. I called them and left a message that I would rather go back to the 5mg Oxycodone without the Tylenol and just take two at a time. I just need enough. I was just diagnosed with a Fatty Liver and went through a month of pain and nausea that felt like it was killing me. A little dramatic but you get the point. Still have a little upper abdominal pain. Tests show nothing but Fatty Liver. Does not explain my month episode of pain and nausea. So I would rather not take Percocet with the Tylenol. The doctors all say not to worry but I'm the one in pain. I took it over a year and a half. Why tempt fate. So I don't know if they will give me 240 of 5mg Oxycodone or insist I take the (120 count) of 10mg Percocet with the Tylenol. My liver is swollen. It took up the whole screen on the ultrasound. You take something to help one thing and another thing goes. Fatty Liver is caused by several things but why help it along with more Tylenol? So much for my Final update. Luckily I still have a few days left of the 5mg from the last prescription. If not, I would be very cranky. Ever feel like the forces are against you sometimes?

Last edited by hessie28; 03-09-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: one more thing.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
(female)

lizzybrog80 HB User
Re: Final Update On Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
I finally got in to see the Pain Management Dr. I was so sick the entire month of February that I had to cancel the appt. twice. We discussed the Radio Frequency. I told him that the other dr. changed the frequency of my pain meds so I keep running out early. I even brought in both bottles. One showing the correct dose and the other showing the new one. He asked why and I said I really don't know. He also asked why she gave me 5mg instead of 10mg. I said maybe because I could take only one if needed. I guess she did not write anything down. He said then you can break in half. So he said he would get the medication nurse. She is the one I talked to on the phone. She came out with a new prescription for 10mg 160 count. So I am set and will not have to ration my meds another month. The 5mg were useless. He asked me why she changed them and took the Tylenol out. I said she said I did not need it. Now I just got diagnosed with a Fatty Liver so don't know if the Tylenol in the Oxycodone I took for over a year contributed or not. Never get a straight answer on that question.
Hi,

Just wanted to tell you one thing, because I was switched from Percocet (oxycodone w/ Tylenol) to Roxicodone (oxycodone alone), 15 mg, which I have to take 3 of at a time. When I first switched I was told to take 1 pill at a time. That was COMPLETELY USELESS, even though 1 pill was the equivilent of 3 Percocet. So he told me to take 2. That worked better for a while. Then that didn't work, and I had to tkae 3, which generally works good for me now, though occasionally I've had to take 4. Anyway, my doctor told me that the reason they make the oxycodone wtih Tylenol is that the Tylenol tends to potentiate the effect of the oxycodone (make it work better, or stronger). So he told me that with my dose of oxycodone I could take 1 Tylenol pill and that might make it work better, and it does. Doing that, you're not taking in nearly as much Tylenol as you were when taking Percocet, but it's enough to make the oxycodone work better. Just a thought, you could try that. Or also, try Ibuprofen with it.

-Beth
End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Old 03-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Just throwing out an Oxycodone option.....Liquid Roxicodone or Oxyfast. Both are liquid and come in 30cc bottes. Each has (30) doses which is one full dropper. Each dropper is a full dose, but you probably don't need a full dose. The dropper has 4 lines on it (looks just like a dropper from baby Tylenol & the bottle is about the same size too). The first line near the bottom is 5mg, the second one is half a dropper or 10mg, the third line is 3/4 or 15mg and the top line is a full dropper or 20mg. So, each dropper full is equal to 4 percs, but contains NO Tylenol. 30 doses x 4= 120 percs.

It's not that expensive and because it's a liquid, it works very fast.

Ex

Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. Because I had gastric bypass the liquid won't work for me. It would go right through and not get absorbed. I also cannot take Ibuprofen because of the bypass surgery. They are both good ideas though. Taking two of the 5mg Oxycodone is helping me. Takes the edge off for a few hours. I'll see what the nurse says.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Didn't know about the bypass....Definitely a game changer. Just as an fyi for you down the road somewhere if needed, you could always go to the fentanyl lozenge at some point. It's expensive, but works. It's absorbed by tissue in your cheek. Doesn't sound like you're at that point in your pain yet though.

Good luck.

Closed Thread