It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

kasie1970 HB User
Question Morphine Sulfate ER to Fentanyl Patch?Should I?

I'm new here so first let me to say 'hello' to all of you.I have sciatia,fibromyalgia,rheumatoid arthritis,pinched nerve and you get the picture by now.As of now I'm taking Lyrica,30mg morphine sulfate er every 12 hours and 10mg lortab 3 times a day to deal with my pain but I'm not satisfied with the pain relief.We talked about the patch and I'm wondering if any of you guys think its better than the morphine and if so what strength patch equals to or a little more than what I'm taking now?I figured the patch will help me more because if I sleep in past time for my morphine I feel like I have been hit by a truck and then I have to wait for the pills to kick in.Some of you out there has probably dealt with that if so help me plz!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Morphine Sulfate ER to Fentanyl Patch?Should I?

Hello and welcome! I don't have any experience with the Morphine Sulfate ER, but do with the patch. I also have experience with Oxycontin, which is also 12 hour. However, many OC patients will agree that for the most part, the pill doesn't last 12 hours. Some say, it only goes for about 8. I suspect the same goes for the Morphine pill, but can't say for sure.

The patch is labeled for every 72 hours, but most patients change it every 48, especially if you are active. It was originally developed for cancer patients at end of life and those who were pretty much bed ridden. So, they didn't metabolize very fast. The medicine's paper insert even says that some patients may need every 48 hours. Those on every 72 report than each day three isn't a very good one.

I like the patch because it gives constant, even distribution of medicine around the clock 24/7. Also, it is fentanyl which seems to work well for those in chronic pain. The downsides are: it's a patch and therefore can itch a little, and you've got to wear it somewhere on your body which others may or may not see. It's best to rotate it around and sometimes the old glue can be a little hard to get off. Both are not big deals, but more of an annoyance.

When on the patch, you are not to take hot baths, use electric blankets (on the patch), hot tubs, & etc. Excess heat can cause the patch to release more med than normal. You probably won't OD, but instead, run out of med early. A high fever also causes the same effect, so you've got to keep all of that in mind. It's very impt to call your Doc if you develop a high fever. I find the patch much tougher in the warmer months, especially summer because I like to walk outside, play with my kids and I'll sweat quite a bit and a patch in general gets annoying then. The final downside of any patch is that it's a one and done thing...you can't move it around or re-apply it. You may want to ask the Doc for 1-2 (not every month, but total) extra just in case something funky happens. For example, if you get one that doesn't have good glue, happens to fall off, or whatever, you've lost 2-3 days of medicine. I don't want to scare you, but instead give you a heads up so you'll know to be very careful applying them. They generally stick very, very well so falling off isn't an issue, but you never know, especially if you shower alot or sweat.

I rotate back and forth between OC and the patch. OC during the late spring to early fall and patch from late fall to early spring.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

kasie1970 HB User
Wink Re: Morphine Sulfate ER to Fentanyl Patch?Should I?

Thank you so very much for your time and all your helpful info!

Closed Thread