It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

chrisandylino HB User
Smile Too much Lortab consumption?

How much Lortab can you take in a day. I take the 7.5mgs and I take about 6 a day. Is that too much? I read somewhere not to exceed 4000 mg in a day. Anyone else have any opinions? I am afraid of overdosing. Then at night I take 20 mgs of Ambien and sometimes it really hits me hard. any thoughts?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Too much Lortab consumption?

Hello and welcome to the pain boards. Can you tell us a little bit more about your pain. How long have you had it? What were you diagnosed with? As for your question, you said you are taking 6 x (7.5/500mg Lortabs) which is 3000mg of acetaminophen per day. My doctor had told me that as long as you keep it at or under 3000mg/day you should be alright. You could occasionally go higher, like during a major flare up, but the max would be 4000mg/day of the acetaminophen. You could always have your doctor switch you over to Norco which they make in amounts of only 325mg APAP so you could take 6 of the(7.5/325mg Norco) = 1950mg APAP which is much safer. I don't believe they make the Lortabs with a strength of only 325mg APAP but I'm sure others will chime in.

As for the Ambien really nocking you out. This is a really strong habit forming sedative. Have you ever taken anything OTC. That is what I do for insomnia. I take Melatonin tablets with Benadryl tablets and they work really well for my insomnia. Just a though. Good to have you hear.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 02-27-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Brain is correct in his max per day total. However, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind when taking ANY Tylenol based product is to NOT drink ANY alcohol....Especially if you're taking lots of Tylenol. Tylenol by itself is very safe. Wine, beer, or liquor by itself is very safe. Mix together and they will KILL YOU. Even very small amounts of alcohol.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

chrisandylino HB User

I have TMJ with the deteriation of the cartiledge in the jaw bones. So the bones rub together and cause pain. The doc just switched me from Vicodin 5mg to the Lortab 7.5mg. I take pretty much constantly. I dont drink at all, so thats not a problem. What about Valium at night? The doc first gave me 2mg of Valium, but that doesnt do anything. So they gave me Ambien. How much Valium is too much? 2mg seems so little?
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

I have taken Lortab 10/325 and the most you should take is 4 a day...at least that's what the doc says. I think you will be fine at 6 a day if you stick to that amount and not go higher.

Winnie

Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
What about Valium at night? The doc first gave me 2mg of Valium, but that doesnt do anything. So they gave me Ambien. How much Valium is too much? 2mg seems so little?
Thanks for the input.
As long as the Doc knows what you're taking, you should be ok. Depressants, or sleeping pills will add to the possible sedative effect of pain medication.

I don't want to scare you, but there are some weird Ambien stories out there that I'd research up on. One of the documented side effects is sleep walking & etc. Personally, I'd take the Valium, but that's just me. You may need a higher dose.

If you don't feel comfortable taking the Ambien, tell the Doc.

Last edited by Executor; 02-28-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandylino View Post
The doc first gave me 2mg of Valium, but that doesnt do anything. So they gave me Ambien. How much Valium is too much? 2mg seems so little?
Are you taking the Valium to sleep or for anxiety? You should be very leary of taking the Ambien for many reasons. One is that it is a sedative and will add to the sedative effects of the lortabs and the valium. You don't want to end up like Heath Ledger although he was taking much more than you are. Another thing that somone else mentioned is the possible effects of the ambien like sleep walking, talking, amnesia (like driving and not remembering it). I know the FDA just issued a warning letter about all sleep medications due to these reactions. Also, Ambien is habit forming and possible addictive. This means that if you take it regularly and stop it you will go through withdrawal which means worse insomnia than before for the first couple of days after stopping it. If you are having problems sleeping there are several non-habit/addictive things you can try such as: Melatonin, benadryl, valerian root, sleeptime tea. I personally take benadryl & Melatonin and sleep pretty well. I used to take Klonopin and Benadryl which completly knocked me out. Just some options to think about.

Brian

Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
(male)

naklang HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Brain is correct in his max per day total.

This is no joke. In addition, what many people don't realize is that it is not safe to take Tylenol within 5 days of drinking alcohol. Why? Because alcohol induces excess enzymes to be produced that also metabolize tylenol into very toxic byproducts. It takes 5 days for these enzymes to return to normal. If you take even a "safe" dose of tylenol (500-1000mg) after a night of drinking, the excess enzymes could produce 4-5 times the amount of toxins that it normally would. This is called alcohol/acetaminophen syndrome and can be fatal. Everybody is different, but keep a wide distance between drinking and any tylenol.

As for the daily dose, I would not exceed 2000mG/day if you are taking it chronically. Every dose uses up glutathione in the liver to detoxify the stuff. Over time, you can deplete this crucial antioxidant if your diet is not replenishing it fast enough. That's why you should NEVER take tylenol on an empty stomach or if you have not been eating well due to illness etc. Once you glutathione is depleted, your liver is open to the full onslaught from this toxic drug. Supplement your diet with a good quality whey protein and it will supply the precursor aminos your liver needs to produce glutathione.

And Ambien is bad news. Taken together with narcotics is russian roulete. Ask your doc about Gabapentin. It can be safely taken with narcotics and can be an effective pain/sleep aid on its own.

Last edited by HBMod07; 02-29-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: please only quote the portion of the message you are responding to and not the entire message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Another thing that somone else mentioned is the possible effects of the ambien like sleep walking, talking, amnesia (like driving and not remembering it). I know the FDA just issued a warning letter about all sleep medications due to these reactions.

Brian

Brian is correct. This is called Somnambulism and can be associated with performing any activity associated with WAKEFULLNESS, but occurs while ASLEEP or in a SLEEP LIKE STATE. I have a friend that has this condition, and it is VERY scary because she actually will get up out of bed and cook a full meal, and eat it, and not know it until she gets up in the morning and sees the dirty kitchen. She is prescribed Ambien for sleep, and I have tried to get her to switch to Lunesta or one of the other Non-Narcotic sleep meds. She doesn't see it as a danger, and refuses to tell her doctor for fear he will quit prescribing.

I've tried to pose scenarios to her like, "Suppose you start a meal, and crawl back up in the bed while the meal is still cooking. Do you want to die in a burning house??" She doesn't budge on it, so I can only keep her in my prayers!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
(female)

regnrs567 HB User

As you probably know, it is the Acetaminophen that you have to watch re your liver--you have to have less than 4000mg a day---but the hydrocodone needs watching too....as long as your doc prescribed it it is probably okay....but Hydrocodone can cause respiratory depression and a slowed heartrate, and cause sleepiness.....the fear is that you will fall asleep and your respirations and heart will lower enough so as to not allow your body to sustain vital functions....and you will slip away..very rare...but Docs take that into consideration before prescribing....but as long as your doc prescribed it.....you could start taking your pulse for a full minute and/or have someone count your respirations....while you are on it.....you should have respirs between 12 to 20 a minute.....and your heart should be 75 to 90 ideally but many things can lower it.....esp if you are very athletic and your body can function with a very slow heart rate....or raise your pulse....stress etc....

Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

The other issue here that must be taken into consideration is "tolerance." Obviously, the higher your tolerance, the more meds you can take safely. Many pain patients take enough meds to kill a horse (literally), but they function fine b/c there has been a very long build up process. Without knowing your tolerance, it's tough to predict these things. Also, different people respond differently....That's why most Docs start at the bottom of the med scale and move up from there.

Your Doc knows your situation best so I would trust him/her. If you are worried about an over sedative effect, then bring it up at your next appointment.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
(male)

jrod84 HB User

I was just responding to the alchohol consumption part of this post. I know it is not good to do, but I think it is strange that on the warning labels for the prescriptions, all they say is "Alchohol may intensify this effect", and leave it at that. I am guilty of having a beer or two, or a glass of wine when I am on my medication. I used to be a heavy social drinker, until I started to take my medication. Thats another reason I want to be done with them. I do take the Milk Thistle twice a day, multi vitamins, protein supplement, and eat very healthy, just to add a little protection to my liver.
As for the sleep part, I stopped taking them while on my medication, but to help me sleep at night, I used to take Melatonin also. I would feel a little groggy in the morning sometimes, but they do give you a great night sleep.

Jarrod

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
(female)

luv2teach HB User

chrisandylino,
Hi! Would you mind seeing my new post? I think I titled it "going neurologist next week. What do expect?" Your problem sounds exactly like mine! Well, I know you didn't mention headaches, but your TMJ does. Would you read and give me your opinion please? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod84 View Post
all they say is "Alchohol may intensify this effect", and leave it at that. I am guilty of having a beer or two, or a glass of wine when I am on my medication. Jarrod
I would just like to if you are taking Opana (hyrdomorphone) and you drink alcohol, it can release all of the morphine and KILL YOU. So don't take this lightly because it does not say "may increase the effect", the warning on Opana is "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL. PERIOD".

With other narcotic medications it is possible to still drink but it is like playing russan rouhlette, you never know what amount is going to stop your breathing in the middle of the night. I am not saying this to be mean or judgemental, just trying to warn everyone.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
(male)

jrod84 HB User

Hey Brian,
I don't know about Opana at all, I was just saying the label on my Oxycodone.
I have never even heard of that drug!

Thanks for all your advice and info by the way!
Jarrod

Closed Thread