It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

kasie1970 HB User
Angry Where's the rest of my Oxycontin???

Last month my doctor gave me a script of oxycontin,my insurance wouldn't pay for it so all I could afford to pay for was 20 pills which was 10 days worth...so why won't the pharmacy allow me to get the rest? They told me I wouldn't be able to but I still don't understand why.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Where's the rest of my Oxycontin???

In some states, if you can't fill the entire script of a C-II medication (Oxycontin is a C-II), then you must forfeit the rest. In other states, if the pharmacy can't fill all of it, or you choose to fill and pay for only part of it, you can have the rest filled, if you do so within 72 hours.

There are a couple states that allow you to do a partial fill and don't have a time limit on filling the remainder. Of course, the six month rule on C-II through C-IV would apply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Yes I found this out as well.
In Ohio if you get a partial fill you must forfeit the rest. However, if the pharmacy does not have all of the pills for an order they can give you what they have and then give you the rest when they come in

Brian

Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

In Florida and Michigan, there are some rules that apply to C-II's involving additional paperwork if a pharmacist fills a portion of the Rx and then gives you the rest when it comes in. This has happened to me in both states.

It happened in Michigan first. The pharmacist decided he could fill my Dilaudid--in two parts since he didn't have enough initially--because he knew my family and therefore, "where to find me!" I got nearly 60 on the first day and the remainder within a few days. The pharmacist stated, just in a matter-of-fact way, that dividing C-II's means more DEA paperwork.

**It may be different now, but Michigan does not fill Rx's from other states. I found out the hard way when I tried to get my scripts filled. We have a cottage on Lake Huron that is used by our extended family, so we are sometimes not at home when the medications become due!! I cannot possibly express how difficult it was for me to find a doctor who would write my medications. Frankly, I had my doctor's written Rx's. And, by that time, the doctor was waiting to have a supportive conversation with any doctor I found. Kentucky, has transferred several C-III's for me, but it may be due to the fact that I knew the pharmacist from when I lived there.

I've found Florida, where I live, to be the most accomodating. I hope it doesn't change!! Wouldn't it be great if we could live in a state where C-II's could be phoned in just like any other Rx's??!! Ahh...just dreaming...

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. If I have stated something incorrectly, please inform me on this thread! I want to know.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

First of all, all pharmacy laws are FEDERAL, not state. Rules on CIIs, CIIIs & etc. are set by the board of pharmacy and the Federal Gov't. The law states that with a schedule II drug, you must get all the script filled or forfeit what you don't fill. However, if you call your Doc, I feel quite sure he/she will be very understanding, especially when you explain the cost issue. A common example is a patient who goes to a pharmacy for a pain med...And the pharmacy is running low on inventory and can't fill the entire lot, but either you don't want to go somewhere else, or can't find it anywhere else, and you elect to go ahead and have a partial fill. Either the patient or the pharmacist can call the Doc and explain the situation and the Doc will write a follow-up script for the balance.

Unfortunately, the pharmacy should have explained the laws to you when you filled it so you could have made an educated decision...But it is what it is now.

As far as some patients getting the balance filled at a later date, they experienced a very lax pharmacist, or one who may have owned their own pharmacy, where they control the paperwork. Chain pharmacies, however, usually follow the rules to a T.

Hope this helps.

X

Last edited by Executor; 02-29-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

kasie1970 HB User

Yes phoning in would be so much easier for me.My doctor wrote me a script for 40mg morphine sulfate,it doesnt come in 40mg;it goes from 30mg to 60mg so I had to drive back to the doctors office to get another script.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The only "phone in" CII scripts allowed are those in the event of an "emergency" and even then, it can only be for 72 hrs worth of med and must follow with a written script in the mail. Any type of maintenance med must be written.

Patients must also keep in mind that there are Federal and pharmacy board regulations as well as your Doc's rules and regulations. One may allow something, but the other won't. For example, Federal law allows for CII scripts to be mailed to the patient or pharmacy, but some Docs won't do it.

Last edited by Executor; 02-29-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Ex is right here,they SHOULD have explained this to you when you couldn't fill it all right then.a simple call to your PM can clear this up for you.i had this same thing happen but being that i do go to walgreens and they have like five all within about a ten mile radius,i was able,after the pharm called around for me,to simply go to their other store and get my full rx filled.this is one of the advantages to having a chain.this was considered to be the 'same" pharm only becasue all of my records are in all the walgreens accessable accts.my PM had no problem when i called and told them what happened.but you should have beentold this at the beginning.that wasthe pharms fault,how in the heck is the patient just supposed to know this?i didn't have a clue til it actually occured that day with me.Marcia

Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
However, if the pharmacy does not have all of the pills for an order they can give you what they have and then give you the rest when they come in
Actually they are not allowed to do that, it is against the law in Ohio for Schedule II's. I've had several instances when my PM was trying to change my medications and if a Pharmacy does not have the entire quantity you must forfiet what they do not have even if they order more. You must either find a new pharmacy to fill it (most are networked and will find you someone who has all of the script) or wait until they get the entire order in.

Last edited by Kissa; 03-02-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 03-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

My comment is the same as Kissa's. Im in Colorado. Its the same here. I had to give up a box of the patch 12's that my doc wrote for 3 boxes of 5 [15] because they and the only other pharmacy here only had two boxes. I couldnt wait for them to order me more b/c I was on my last day of the patch. It stinks. Ive had it happen lots. We only have two pharmacies for two towns.
xoxoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread