It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
(male)

deviphish HB User
not much relief from hydromorphone(dilaudid).

Hello to all : I recently had a back fusion surgery { l4/l5,l5/s1} 2 rods and 6 screws on 2.20.08. My PM doctor has me on hydromorphone 4mgs every 4 to 6 hours , also on clonazepam 0.5 mgs along with skelaxin 800mgs twice a day..

I have never been on dilaudid , and i no it is a potent opiate - but i'm still in a great deal of pain ! lf any one has had a fusion surgery and was given dilaudid , please reply with any info.. I don't think i should be in as much pain as i am in , I also no that i had a major surgery and will be in pain - but this is to much..

I called my PM doc and he said basically deal with it , your on a high dose of pain meds !!Every body is different when it comes to pain meds , and people react to pain meds in there own way.. I think i need something for break threw pain , but i just dont no..

Any help would be appreciated , and i hope every one is pain free and happy.
GOD BLESS BILLY BOY

Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User
Re: not much relief from hydromorphone(dilaudid).

Are you allowed to take Advil or anything like that yet? I find that sometimes the pain is from inflammation and I take morphine and it doesn't always help but sometimes a couple of advil do the trick because they are an anti-inflammatory. That said if you are still healing don't take it because they say it inhibits bone growth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
(male)

mike j HB User

BILLY BOY, I can relate to your pain problem. I can tell you this is more potent than morphine I believe by tenfold. I will only purchase brand-name dilaudid. I had several generics and they did not work well at all. The generic medication is allowed a 20% difference. I can tell a big difference when I'm on the generic versions. Please try brand-name. I hope and pray this will make a difference for you. An anti-inflammatory over-the-counter would probably be beneficial . Please give this a try.Please let us know.Maybe shoreline can weigh in on this and give some advice.please don't be afraid to ask your doctor to write a different script for brand-name dilaudid. I would also tell him you are happy to give him the generic ones you have at this time. We will be thinking of you and crossing our fingers Mike

Old 03-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
(male)

zach88 HB User

I have to say, before my back pain started, i never would've questioned the differences between brand name and generic prescriptions. I thought it was like getting either the JIF peanut butter, or the America's Choice. Exactly the same ingredients, just a different label. With some medications, the generics are absolutely adequately, if not equal to the equivalent brand name medication. With pain medications, I've found a major difference.

I think I've spoken towards this before on here, but a little less than a year ago I came across an article that discussed the 20% differential the FDA allows for generics, and how this is detrimental specifically to opiates. Now, I haven't been able to find the article since, so I cannot vouch for the credibility of the article, but it did make sense to me. Whether the pharmaceutical companies are buying opium or synthesizing it themselves, the potency of the actual opium will always vary. When making a brand name drug, say, Vicodin, the pharmaceutical company will use its "premium opium" to help derive the codeine and thebaine, then use that to derive the hydrocodone, and the final product will reflect on the premium quality of the opium used to make the final product. However, the same pharmaceutical company may produce a generic version of Vicodin starting with opium of lesser quality. Although the amounts of the chemicals used and the process in which they synthesize the hydrocodone MAY be the same (although it may not be), the final product will be inferior to its brand name equivalent because the opium used in the generic is not as potent or strong.

I don't know how much of this is actually true, and when I have asked doctos and pharmacist most of them shrug their shoulders. Within the past month though I finally switched to brand name Vicodin and Norco, after having little success with the generic. I find a huge difference in the consistency and duraton of action with the brand name drug, and it really has made a major impact on my life. Rather than being frustrated after taking a generic Norco, and having it do absolutely nothing or last only for twenty minutes or so, the brand name provides me with at least an hour of relief every time I take it. My doctor has allowed for me to take a maximum of twelve Norco a day, so this really makes a significant impact on my pain relief for the day.

Whether or not any of my information on opium is valid, from my experience I would highly recommend trying brand name Dilaudid. I was on Dilaudid for about two months and found no relief from it at all, and I wonder now if I had tried the brand name version if it would've proved to be anymore effective.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It did not help me at all. The only thing that took the edge off was Oxycodone. Still on it over a year later.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi,
I had the S1-L5 Fused and I was never given Dilaudid for that, That was for Abdominal Surgery's I've had, The Fusion They gave me Morphine LA & Morphine SA, SKalaxin 800 and added the Fentanyl Patch after taking away the Morphine.
Knowing first hand what the Fusion feels like, seems like he has you on Candy instead of pain meds, At this time out from the Fusion, You should still be on Both Morphines, Has he ever mentioned them to you?
Your only about 10 days out??? You should still be under your Surgeons care. My PM did not presribe my Meds until the Surgeon released me. Who is giving you Pain meds?
Sandollar

Closed Thread