It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

kasie1970 HB User
Question Morphine Sulfate Immediate Release???

Ok so I just talked to Bob,the super nice helpful pharmacist that I have now after I switched and he suggested this...right now I'm taking 30mg morphine sulfate extended release every 12 hours which is 2 a day,and I'm taking 10mg lortab 3 times a day for break thru,he suggested I ask for 15mg morphine sulfate immediate release 3 times a day for break thru instead of the lortab.Anyone have luck with this?Also,how immediate is it?How quickly does the immediate release work?Wondering if it will be quicker relief in the mornings.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Morphine Sulfate Immediate Release???

You are on a very low dose of MSC, quite honestly I would suggest you talk to the doctor about taking it three times a day instead of twice putting you at the 90 mark which is fairly average and not considered a high dosage. In fact this was the dose I started with.

Immediate is just that immediate. But one thing to remember, MSC does not work the same as other LA medications. When you take it within 45 minutes one half of the dosage, in your case 15mg is released, then again around the 5 hour mark the last half is released. if you took an instant release around the same time your second round was releasing you might find yourself very nauseated.

Keep in mind BT meds are only supposed to be use on occassion, not on a regular basis. If you are taking them on a timed basis then it is time to increase your base LA med and not increase or change your BT medication.

I do think you will find going to MSC 3x's a day, every 8 hours, you'll find this to be more effective. Again the way that it works you would be getting on average 15mg of MSC around every 4 to 5 hours so the need for a BT wouldn't really be there as it is now.

Other LA medications or other forms of MSC like Avinza actually slowly release medication or morphine in very small doses for 8 to 12 hours continually. MSC does not, you get two doses which is why it makes it a little more unique than other LA medications.

I hope that makes sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Talking Re: Morphine Sulfate Immediate Release???

Thanx for taking the time to answer my question,Kissa.You were very helpful. Have a good day!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Morphine Sulfate Immediate Release???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasie1970 View Post
I'm taking 10mg lortab 3 times a day for break thru,he suggested I ask for 15mg morphine sulfate immediate release 3 times a day for break thru instead of the lortab.
Keep in mind that Lortab (active ingredient hydrocodone) is different from morphine sulfate (active ingredient morphine). For alot of people the hydrocodone gives you a different "feeling" of pain relief. I am not saying the morphine IR would not work better but you may find yourself more sedated and nauseated. Somtimes the Lortabs will actually help with energy levels and not feeling as depressed. I don't know why but this tends to be true and why hydrocodone is abused quite a bit do to this factor. Just keep this in mind. I guess you could always try the morphine IR and then see if it does work better than hydro for your BT meds. Also, I agree with the previous posters about using the MS Contin 3x/day instead of twice.

Brian

Closed Thread