It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Question Morphine Sulfate 15mg IR or Lortab 10's?

Ok so before I ask my doctor about switching my lortab 10's to morphine sulfate 15mg ir's am I doing the smart thing as far as pain relief?Is the morphine ir's stronger than the lortab 10's?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Morphine Sulfate 15mg IR or Lortab 10's?

Can you provide some more info such as your condition, length of time on meds, age, & etc.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
(female)

kayci38 HB User

Sure!I have severe sciatia,pinched nerves in both hips,fibro,arthritis,bulging disc in my back and neck.Previously I have been on neurotin,vicodin,lortab 5,7.5,and 10's,then tried percocets and tramodol.Now I'm on a LA morphine and lortab fro bt but I'm still not at a acceptable pain level so I'm trying to figure out what to suggest to my doctor when I go back Tuesday....should I ask she change my lortab to 15mg morphine IR.I've been on pain meds off and on for about 10yrs,I'm 38yrs old.Did I answer everything you want to know?Oh I forgot,I also take zanaflex and lyrica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Can you provide some more info such as your condition, length of time on meds, age, & etc.?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
(male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayci38 View Post
Ok so before I ask my doctor about switching my lortab 10's to morphine sulfate 15mg ir's am I doing the smart thing as far as pain relief?Is the morphine ir's stronger than the lortab 10's?
kayci38--
Yes, morphine sulfate 15mg IR is stronger than the lortab 10's you are taking. Plus, they do not have acetaminaphen (Tylenol). Good luck--whit

Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Wink Re: Morphine Sulfate 15mg IR or Lortab 10's?

Thanx Whit for taking the time to answer my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitfield View Post
kayci38--
Yes, morphine sulfate 15mg IR is stronger than the lortab 10's you are taking. Plus, they do not have acetaminaphen (Tylenol). Good luck--whit

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Keep in mind that Lortab (active ingredient hydrocodone) is different from morphine sulfate (active ingredient morphine). For alot of people the hydrocodone gives you a different "feeling" of pain relief. I am not saying the morphine IR would not work better but you may find yourself more sedated and nauseated. Somtimes the Lortabs will actually help with energy levels and not feeling as depressed.

I did have a question though concerning your nerve pain relief. I know you have probabyl heard this before but narcotic medications usually do not work well for nerve pain. I have nerve pain so I know this well. I know you said that you are on Lyrica but at what dose. The Lyrica can be prescribed up to 600mg/day which is the dose that I am taking. Also there are several other nerve pain meds which you may have not tried. I know you said that you have tried Neurontin but here is some of the others:

1. Ultram (tramadol) - an opiod with ant-depressant qualities that works well on nerve pain (I take this one)

2. Anti-convulsant meds - Topomax, Tegretol, Trileptal(I take this), Gabitril

3. Tricyclic antidepressants - amitryptiline, nortriptyline

4. SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) anti-depressants - Effexor, Cymbalta (many people on here use Cymbalta)

Hope this helps

Brian

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Smile Re: Morphine Sulfate 15mg IR or Lortab 10's?

Actually I know the different pain 'feeling' you're talking about.I dont know why but I dont get that euphoric fog on the morphine like I had at the beginning of taking lortab,plus the morphine doesnt hurt my stomach like other narcotics.Now with the nerve pain,I am having luck as far as Lyrica goes.The pain I have now is from fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease and bulging disc.Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for the extra info.I certainly do appreciate talking with those who know what its like dealing with pain and the talk of narcotics.I dont talk much about my issues with others because as you probably know when you mention pain meds they have a tendency to look at you like a street user or dealer.Thanks again,maybe I can return the favor.I go to my doctor tomorrow.Wish me luck on changing my meds.

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-04-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: please only quote the portion of the message you are responding to

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

My guess would be that your Hydro isn't strong enough for BT. Your LA med is a good stable one that many take, but when you have "flair ups", you may need a bigger gun that Hyrdos. Many use some form of Oxycodone for BT....Especially those on a fairly strong LA med.

I'd be careful about recommending specific drugs....Just be honest and say that when you have your BT pain, the hydro just doen't work and let him/her recommend what they think is best. Your Doc will automatically know that the next step up from hydro is some form of Oxy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Closed Thread