It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
I found a Biofreeze alternative

I had to go to CVS today while waiting for a prescription I was checking the aisle where they have topical pain control. I saw a bottle that looks almost exactly like BioFreeze so I picked it up to look at it. I had just bought the actual Biofreeze locally a few weeks ago at a home healthcare supply store.

The ingredients are exactly the same and they call it Freeze It! It's the same price 9.99. What they did instead of putting Menthol on the top of the ingredient list of 3.5% they put the camphor of .02% listed but they are the same ingredients including Ilex

So anyhow, if you are looking for Biofreeze, you might want to try this one to see if it's as effective.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: I found a Biofreeze alternative

AH, but the proof will be if it drives the dogs away like the biofreeze does!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL. My dog actually loves the smell of it (the real Biofreeze), he's weird. I had a cat who enjoyed Ben gay too.

Not but a few days later after this post I also saw the same product in the grocery store in the pharmacy section where rubs and such go.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Thanks. I never took the time to read the bottle but if it's the same stuff it's easier for me to get the CVS stuff vs. biofreeze.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Please, if you've tried it and it worked for you, let us know. I've not been able to find the Biofreeze but have seen the other one...Freeze it?...
Anyway, I wanted to see if it would help my hubby with his pain.
Please refresh my memory...is this for nerve pain? muscle pain?
Hubby has a messed up back(bulging discs), neck and foot(fractured calcaneus).
Thanks for any help.~Mush

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

so how is it working for you so far kissa? your right,it IS the illex that is the "magic" ingredient in biofreeze. i have never found anything other than the bio that actually had it. that IS a great find if it works. i really don't know how i would have managed to actually get thru my pre op and post op shoulder crap without the bio. didn't even have to raise my narcotics at all. just used bio and lido patches. you can play guinea pig for all of us now,lol. hope it works for ya. it would make things alot easier for those who cannot find it and want to try it.

hey mush,just a thought here since this is what i was planning on doing when my supplier may not be able to obtain it anymore for me? have you tried just calling to any local chiro practice and just asking them if they could sell you some? just a thought for you since you cannot track it down online anywhere. or,if you actually know ANYONE who sees a chiro for any reason,perhaps they could get some for you? just some suggestions. i just love this stuff. good luck,marcia

Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I have gotten biofreeze at local healthfood stores. I buy it online and get a great price........

Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I use the actual biofreeze. I use it primarily on my neck and lumbar for muscular pain only.

It doesn't do much for the lumbar at all which is severely herniated but it does help fantastic for the neck. I had a 4 level ACDF 6 or so years ago and it went swimmingly and pain free for one year, then a lady rear ended me because she was too impatient. Seriously.

Anyhow, as a result I have busted screws in my neck and permanent nerve and muscular damage so it constantly hurts. I found the Biofreeze at a home health care store, I'm sure you can find it in your area the same way and cheaper than on the net because no shipping/handling. The price was $9.95 the same price as Freeze It.

As for how it works, it works great for my neck but only for 2 - 3 hours, which I can't complain it's better than nothing but no where near as good as my lidoderm patches do ( of course just 1 lidoderm patch costs nearly the same as the entire tube of the OTC gels, and yes I know they are different products). As for my lumbar it helps maybe for a half an hour tops. I haven't tried it on my other joints yet that have arthritis but will certainly do so. I guess I'm so used to pain I forget about using it is the problem.

There is no directions on the bottle as to how much you can use or how far apart so I haven't tried using it twice in a row yet. It does have a very cooling sensation to it and if you have a plugged nose, go smell the bottle LOL! It reminds me of Vicks but in a gel form.

For ten bucks, if you have it to spare, it's worth a shot in my opinion. I don't see it working on structural pain at all but muscular/soft tissue yes it's helped in varying degrees.

Last edited by Kissa; 03-15-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread