It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

Laurel48 HB User
femoral nerve damage

I have permanent femoral nerve damage in my left leg, and was just prescribed Topamax, because I have tried many many meds and nothing will take away the chronic pain I have. Is Topamax the correct med for my chronic nerve damage?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: femoral nerve damage

Topamax is a medication used for nerve pain. I can't answer the rest of your question though. Sorry about that.

I take it as a preventitve for chronic (almost daily since age 7) migraine headaces and it has given me my life back. Some cannot tolerate the side effects of it. For me, I have had no issues with it, and could not tolerate some of the other nerve medications such as Neurontin. There's another one that is being used an I can't recall the name right not. Starts with a "P". On both of those meds, I got S-T-U-P-I-D. I did things like stopped at green lights, couldn't spell for squat, bumped into doors and walls, etc. The only real side effects for me with the Topamax are 1) weight loss: I've lost over 100 lbs and am still losing, all without even trying, and 2) The horrible taste of sodas when you take Topamax. I can live without soda! LOL! Water is much better for you, and I LOVE me some sweet tea.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Laurel-
Fellow nerve damage person here. Mine isn't femoral, but saphenous though.

Are you seeing a neurologist, and if not, are you seeing a PM doctor? You mentioned trying other meds, but didn't list any of them. Do you mind giving us a little more information? Sorry, but sometimes it's necessary.

Without knowing the other meds you have tried, I can only say that Topomax has given many people great results, so try and give it a fair shot. Hopefully it will work for you.

I personally take Neurontin and have gotten wonderful results from it since getting to the right dosage. Neurontin is actually used "off label" for nerve damage as it was originally made for seizures.

Lyrica is another med that some use and get good results from as well. There are so many options.

I hope you will get great results from the Topomax. Please keep us informed.

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-05-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have permanent nerve damage in both feet and have been on many, many meds to try to control it. I am sorry to say that you probably will never be able to eliminate all of the pain. The goal in pain management is to get a reduction of 50% of the pain that you are currently having which will allow you to function better and have more abilities. Here are the list of meds for nerve pain and I will list the ones that I take:

1. Anticonvulsant medications - Neurontin, Lyrica (I take this 600mg/day), Topomax, Tegretal, Trileptal, Gabitril, couple others I can't think of

2. SNRI antidepressant meds: Cymbalta (a lot of people on here take this and have had much success for treating nerve pain & depression), Effexor

3. tricyclic antidepressants: nortriptyline, amitryptiline

4. SSRI antidepressants: too many to list (Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil) - not as effective on nerve pain as the others listed above

5. opiate/opiod medications: hydrocodone (I take this), oxycodone, tramadol (I take this), hydromorphone, oxymorphone, fentanyl patch(I take this), methadone, morphine - not very effective on nerve pain but they do work for some people

It really is trial and error to find the right ones that will work for you and the ones that you can tolerate the side effects to. I hope this gives you a better list of meds and possibilities. You might want to print this out and take to your doctor to get his/her opinion. I would say the top favorites are Lyrica, Cymbalta, hydrocodone, tramadol(Ultram)

Brian

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

Muskokagirl11 HB User

Laurel, I have just read the series of 'posts' and obviously Brian has provided you with a very comprehensive list of the types of drugs that might be prescribed for nerve pain.

May I ask how you ended up having the chronic pain of your lateral femoral nerve. I have been searching several months to try and find someone who has damage like I do. I have damage that was the direct result of a laprascopic surgery...the pain was not addressed immediately, in fact it was almost 4 months until I saw neurologists, a pain management clinic and a surgeon...Anyway, I am not answering your question but if you might let me know what has happened to you I would be very grateful.

I have been on medication for almost 9 months. Originally I was on Lyrica but my body could not handle the side effects. I am currently taking neruontin, oxycontine and oxy-IR for the break thru pain. The pain clinic is recommending that I continue to increase the neurontin but I have had to be very careful with this as I have found the side effects brutal...my body has adjusted over time, but I still really struggle with these meds. Everyone's body is so different. I still have significant pain so I am not in a position to say that these drugs 'work'.

I look foward to hearing your story.

If there is anyone else that reads this that has damage to their lateral femoral cutaneous nerve from surgical trauma, I would love to be able to connect. I have been reading this website for a very short time, but what a blessing it has been to know there are others out there that 'get it'.

Thanks

Last edited by Muskokagirl11; 03-05-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typos

Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
(female)

shorty57 HB User

I have damage to my femoral nerve after having complications from a hip replacement surgery. I live very near your city, also. Please let me know if you take the Topamax and if it works for you. I have taken Gabapentin (generic Neurontin) now for three years, but a new doctor wants me to switch to Lyrica. Take care.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

Muskokagirl11 HB User

I have never taken Topamax. I would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Last edited by Muskokagirl11; 04-03-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: additional comments

Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
(female)

elsie1711 HB User

i was on topomax... i called it dopomax! i could not function on it at all.. so i know what you mean about some people not liking the side affects. i couldn't remember anything, felt drunk most of the day. then they put me on lyrica... same thing. now i am on neurontin. so far it is doing OK for me.. but then i have only been on it a week.

neurontin
morphine
cymbalta
darvocet BT meds
ativan
ambian
daily vitamin

some days i feel like a walking drug store. lol but what can i say... they have all been working great for me, and i have a wonderful PM doc that really works with me.

good luck!

Elsie

Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
(male)

csx333 HB User

Several have mentioned a multi-medication approach which has greatly helped my nerve damage in the right leg. Here is what I take:

Lyrica- 150 mg twice per day
Wellbutrin- 300 mg once per day (morning)
Cymbalta- 60 mg per day (evening)
Lydoderm patch as needed- up to 12 hours per day
Oxycodone- up to a total of 4 10 mg tablets per day
Medtronics TENS implanted

After several years of trying combinations I am getting relief and can enjoy life more than in the past.

AND, I found a great pain dr. who is a Mayo graduate and who listens to me, is sensitive to my needs and does not lecture me about using opoids.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
(female)

vlaud HB User

csx333

How did your nerve damage occur. And did you just have nerve pain or did you lose muscle function.

Closed Thread