It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
anyone take Soma, zanaflex, clonidine, or klonopin for nerve pain?

I have been doing some research and found some interesting facts especially at the American Chronic Pain Association and their publications concerning medications. I was looking for any other medication that could possibly help my nerve pain and that I have not tried yet. I came up with 3 possibilites from the research: tizanidine (Zanaflex), clonidine, and Klonopin. I have been on Klonopin in the past for anxiety & helping with sleep but I was taken off of it when I went into recovery. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask my doctor about it although he might say no. Of course I don't know unless I ask, heck he gave me samples of Ambien. I was interested in the clonidine which can be used to help high blood pressure, anxiety, and nerve pain. And then I came across Zanaflex and even Soma possibly helping. Any comments welcome especially those of you finding relief from any of these for nerve type pain.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-05-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: anyone take Soma, zanaflex, clonidine, or klonopin for nerve pain?

Hi Brian,

I had been prescribed Clonidine when I had decided to taper off Methadone and I am not really sure it did anything for me. I am not really sure which one of the uses he was actually prescribing it to me for. As for Klonopin I have never taken that one. The Tizanadine (Zanaflex) I had been prescribed this as a muscle relaxer before my surgery for my neck spasams. I did not know that it was also something docs used for nerve pain. It did help with the spasms somewhat but it really made me feel dizzy and sometimes it would make my ears ring when I stood up. I think it has potential to cause a drop in the blood pressure thus resulting in the ear ringing and dizziness.
As far as the soma goes I was offered them one by my GP early on after my car accident and I chose not to take them because when I looked it up on the internet I saw that it had potential for abuse but then again so does everything these days.
Anyway I hope that little info will help you out. I would suggest to discuss all the meds with your doc and then the two of you can decide what may work best for you.

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Wink Re: anyone take Soma, zanaflex, clonidine, or klonopin for nerve pain?

Hey there.Just wanted to tell you that I take zanaflex and for me it helped 10x better for my back and neck spasms than baclofen,soma,flexaril.My doctor prescribed me a 4mg pill to take before bed and when I got up in the mornings but I quit taking it in the mornings because it put me back to sleep.I really like the zanafelx when it comes to spasms but never noticed it helped my nerve pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
I have been doing some research and found some interesting facts especially at the American Chronic Pain Association and their publications concerning medications. I was looking for any other medication that could possibly help my nerve pain and that I have not tried yet. I came up with 3 possibilites from the research: tizanidine (Zanaflex), clonidine, and Klonopin. I have been on Klonopin in the past for anxiety & helping with sleep but I was taken off of it when I went into recovery. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask my doctor about it although he might say no. Of course I don't know unless I ask, heck he gave me samples of Ambien. I was interested in the clonidine which can be used to help high blood pressure, anxiety, and nerve pain. And then I came across Zanaflex and even Soma possibly helping. Any comments welcome especially those of you finding relief from any of these for nerve type pain.

Brian

Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi Brian, I have taken soma off and on for over a year and honestly it does nothing for nerve pain but it is very effective for spasms for me.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Brian: I've taken every muscle relaxer known to man for my chronic myofascial pain. I have constant spasms in just about any given part of my body.

I also have nerve pain (herniated discs and neuropathy) and have never liked any of the commonly Rx'd meds for that. (neurontin, topomax, etc.) 1) They never really helped with the nerve pain, 2) They made me feel like a zombie all the time, like I really didn't care one way or another about anything. I hated that feeling. It was like I was this robot, without the ability to feel happy or sad or angry etc. It was just creepy.

The Soma is the only MR that has ever helped w/my spasms. I've been on it for so many years that I occasioally have to take a "break" from it, due to tolerance. I usually go with the flexaril during these breaks, because zanaflex never did anything. Flexaril makes me super sleepy, but that usually tapers w/use.

I've been told that the Lyrica (which I know you take now) was the best for nerve pain, but I've never tried it. Did this article you read say something about muscle relaxers being beneficial for nerve pain? Let me know if you get a chance. Take care, cmpgirl

Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Question Re: anyone take Soma, zanaflex, clonidine, or klonopin for nerve pain?

hi cmpgirl,isn't it weird how soma works for you but did nothing for me,zanaflex works on me but does nothing for you.

REMOVED

Last edited by Mod08; 03-06-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Do not discuss other sites/forums/boards.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Did this article you read say something about muscle relaxers being beneficial for nerve pain?
Well, it was the American Chronic Pain Association article on chronic pain meds and it was extremely informative being like 60 pages. You could just go to their site and look at it. It said there was some success with the above medications concerning nerve pain. It said Klonopin acted like an anti-convulsant (ie. Neurontin, Lyrica, etc.) although it is a benzo anxiety medication. The interesting this is this does not hold true for the other benzodiazepines (ie. Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc.). I don't really remember what it said about the other ones but enjoy perusing the massive research article.

Brin

Old 03-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Brian:

I was on 4mg of Zanaflex until this past Tues. My PM changed me over to Robaxin 750mg. I have terrible muscle spasms that wake me out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night. It seemed that the Zanaflex had not been working for some time, and I asked him if there was something stronger that I could try for the spasams. They are preventing me from sleeping.

I have started sleeping better the past couple of nights. YAY!! Sleep is a prescious commodity for me, and determines my overall well being!

I don't know about whether or not they help with my nerve pain. I take so much other stuff, ya know?? I'm already on Topamax and have been even prior to my back injury due to chronic migraines since the age of 7. Haven't really heard of the connection before between Muscle relaxers being used on Nerve pain. I'll have to check out and do some research regarding this.

Intersting topic. Thanks.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

I was on oxycodone for the pain/spasms in my right shoulder/neck. My doctor suggested Soma. Went on it and it did nothing but give me a headache, make me feel doped up and this morning I woke up unable to see clearly out of my left eye.

I also found out it's just as addicting as oxycodone.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yes. Apparently alot of doctors do not like to prescribe it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Brian:

I've also just learned something about Soma that I don't know whether it's true or not. Due to the nature of potentation (is that the word) of Soma with certain opiods, there is a huge potential for it to set off abuse in some addicts. I would for sure check with your doc about that (isn't he an addictionologis?) to make sure it would be safe for you to take. Myself, I've never used it, and just read this on the net. So, I don't know if it's true or not.

Apparently, according to the article, there's some huge diversion issues with Soma due to the way it affects some opiates, primarly Oxycodone, and Hydrocodone, and Tramadol.

I know that you would not be looking to use it for diversion reasons, but the other may be something that might concern you, especially since you just started with the Brand Oxy. Just a thought.

Maybe someone else knows something about this. Like I said I don't know much about Soma.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you! Now I remember why they don't want to write a script for it!! I have heard the same thing somewhere!!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I know that the Soma would not be a good drug for me to try. My sponsor was on it and abused it but now he stopped taking it and I am very proud that he was able to do that and also told the doctor he abused it.

I did try the clonidine but did not like the side effects(dry skin, dry nose, dry eyes, dizzy) so I stopped that. I think that I am sticking with the current meds at the moment and not throwing anything else in the mix. I have to admit that I have taken 1 Soma before and I can see how it could be addicting. I couldn't even stay awake after taking it. I don't see how anyone could actually drive taking those, no way. They definitely do relax very well.

brian

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
(female)

cscairns928 HB User

Hi...I take clonipine for blood pressure, but it knocks me out. I can't take it except right before I go to bed. I didn't know it was for pain also. Thanks for the info

Closed Thread