It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
cmpgirl's story

Well, here goes:

Started having back problems during the 4 years I took care of my mom, who had Alzheimer's. She wasn't ambulatory the last couple of years and it did a number on my spine. Multiple bulges/herniations, sciatica, spondylosis, stenosis and neuropathy. (I'd do it again, in a heartbeat)

In 2000, I injured my lower back pretty badly and it was never diagnosed or treated. I had a lot on my plate then, so I guess it's partly my own fault.

All of this triggered the chronic myofascial pain. It was explained to me by my current PM doc, that trauma to the body that is un-treated, or under-treated can cause this.

It's a musculoskeletal disease, where the fascia (a web-like structure that we all have that covers the entire body, that basically holds in our bones, muscle and tissue, so we aren't just a "jiggley bag of jello") becomes hardened and stiff and loses it's elasticity. This causes pressure on our bones etc. and triggers pain in pretty much every part of the body at one time or another. (sometimes several places at once)

There's really nothing that can be done surgically and most physical therapy modalities, just aggrevate it. There are some great therapies that do help, like myofascial release (it's a massage therapy) and aquatherapy (the pool).
I try to utilize these as much as possible. And of course, there are the meds.

I have a great PM doc and have seen him for almost 8 years now. I have good days and bad days like the rest of you. (I'd love to be able to remember what "pain-free" and a full nights sleep are like) I do travel a little, and I try to spend as much time as I can with my family and friends. I am happily married to a very supportive hubby and we have a 23 year old daughter, who is preparing to leave the nest soon.

I truly appreciate my support system in the outside world as well as the one I've found here. CP is such a hard life to live and there are so many who don't understand it at all. I never thought in my wildest dreams, I'd be doing this at middle-age, but I'm just going to fight the good fight and try to live the best life that I can.

Thanks for all the advice and support, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: cmpgirl's story

Cmpgirl-

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Although it's not always pleasant to talk or think about, it's good to be able to share with people who understand chronic pain.

Take care, and here's good thoughts for a pain-free day!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine1973 HB User
Re: cmpgirl's story

Hi cmpgirl,
I just wanted to thank you for welcoming me. That was very nice of you. I hope to find some sort of something on this board...I do not know what is going to work for me. Just the thought of I did this to myself, by trying to live everyone else's assessment of me and by not pursueing any medical tests...makes me sad. Everyone says I over do it physically and that is why I have a bad day? They do not even have to see me and they dismiss my pain. Well, they are not in my family of friends, thats for sure. To me, even to get social without someone making me feel like I am a fake..makes me feel alone. This disease of the muscles is truley unseen to the naked eye and I will post some new threads and hope to hear from you. Thanks again. Hopefully this message will be allowed to be posted to your thread?

Closed Thread