It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Cool Opiate & Testosterone Levels

I justed wanted to let everyone know that my doctor's office just called to let me know that my results were normal with a level of 319 for my testosterone. Maybe it's because I have been "active" recently. Anyway that is good to know that I am normal, I mean my levels are normal hee hee.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
(male)

badoldback HB User
Re: Opiate & Testosterone Levels

Hey brian,
319 falls within the normal range, but is at the low end of the scale. If you are functional at that level I guess that's all that matters. Glad things are working out for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

great, that is wonderful news and I am glad your active again. I hope it helps your mood and your pain levels some. It sure helps mine.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Brian,

Glad your Testosterone levels are good. Some opiates can cause a decrease in test. The most common is Methadone. But I don't remember you saying that you were on that. I know some people on Methadone have supplemental testosterone usually by a patch.

Its always good to get it checked out. Meds can throw your hormones off.

Take Care

Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Yep,

I was on methadone and my T is now at 66. I see an endocrinologist early next month to plan treatment.

steve

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

316 is not "normal." It's barely in the functional range. You should be in the upper 1/3 of your age group. You should be around 500.

Ex

Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

That is what I was thinking as well. I did some research, now can you imagine me doing that . I guess there is a supplement that can be taken to help increase testosterone levels. I don't know how well it works or even if it does work but I may just give it a try. I am going to the natural health supplement place near me and I will ask about it. Of course that's not a good pick up line, "hey there, got something to raise my testosterone". Oh well I will still ask.

Brian

Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Zinc is a natural way to boost....You need about 100mg per day. I've also read where Zinc supplementation can effect your copper, so a copper supplement is often.

What Doc did this test? I would highly recommend you take your test results to a uro or endo.

Also, most hormone replacement Docs will tell you that they treat "symptoms" and not the number result. For example, your number is 400, but you feel depressed, have performance issues, lethargic, tired all the time, & so on.....This person is an excellent candidate for T replacement.

However, if your number is 150, but you feel great and don't have performance problems, you don't need hormone therapy.

Hormone Docs will continue to raise the dosage until the symptoms disappear.

Ex

Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

Just be careful with hormone replacement therapy. I've done boatloads of research on this since my problem surfaced and I have learned to be leary of direct testosterone replacement. The danger is in shutting down the testes, which is apparently a common occurance with direct T replacement. What I am after is treatment to jump-start my testes to once again produce appropriate levels of T for my age. And endocrinologist is the kind of doc to best help with this. My Gp was quick to Rx AndroGel, a cream with T to rub on the shoulder area daily. But I am waiting for my appointment with the endo before doing anything.

steve

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Hormone replacement is very safe. Most of the research today shows that most aging people can really benefit from small to moderate supplementation. This is an emerging trend in medicine today, especially with the most up-to-date Docs.

When done correctly, supplementation will not shut down the testes. The key is to have a baseline test up front to determine your level and then slowly supplement to the point where you get to the upper half to upper third of your age group. Testicle shut down and atrophy comes from significant artificial supplementation.

Either an Endo or Uro is qualified to treat you. Most male PM patients I know are on the smallest Androgel dose, or 5mg. Some are on 10mg. Many are on 15-20 and report no problems. There are support groups one can join to share information and it's amazing at the info that is shared and how well most of the participants feel. Research show that low levels of T put men at significant risk for heart and cardiovascular problems as T helps protect the body.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Hormone replacement is very safe. Most of the research today shows that most aging people can really benefit from small to moderate supplementation. This is an emerging trend in medicine today, especially with the most up-to-date Docs.

When done correctly, supplementation will not shut down the testes...
This is inconsistent with the research I have done and those I have spoken with who have undergone treatment.

Brian - all I can say is do your own research and be very careful, especially with hormone replacement therapy directed by your GP. If you can, get a referral to an endo for both the treatment and peace of mind.

steve

Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well I decided to not do the RX T replacement. I went to the health store to see what they had for libido improvement or testosterone improvement. They do have several items and I decided on one which is a cream that you rub on twice a day and before being "active". The lady I talked to(yes unfortunately is what a young lady that I talked to) said that many guys had good success with it. She also said that if it does not work for me after using it a month that I can return it and she would refund my money(thisn is great considering it was $39.95 I will keep you all posted and then maybe in 6 months I will have my doctor retest me.

Brian

Old 03-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Brian: Thanks for this thread. I am obviously not a man, but I have had a condition for many years where one of the symptoms is hightened testosterone levels. I never knew women had T before I was Dx'd with this. After reading this thread though, I realized that since I've been taking opiates, my previously thinning hair was actually starting to thicken up a little. I think this may be why!

Never thought your thread would be helpful to one of us gals, did ya?

Thanks again and I wish you many uplifting days ahead! (I know, bad cmpgirl)

Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

I'm on HRT and it has changed my life dramatically...For the positive. The opiates dropped my T levels and I was miserable, despite being pain free from the meds. It has been nothing short of remarkable.

Ex

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
(male)

badoldback HB User

Agreed Ex, some of the other effects are at least as important as being able to have sex again.

Closed Thread