It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
(male)

Evasive HB User
Left side of face hurts..what could be wrong?

When my face is still, I dont feel any pain

But when I start chewing on the left side or yawn, my left side of my face hurts. Theres no tooth ache, but the part next to my ear (where sideburns are) hurts.. the pain has been there for like 5 days now, and has not decreased.

Im 20 years old, in good shape, eat proper..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: Left side of face hurts..what could be wrong?

Hi Evasive:

Welcome to the boards.

Have you ever had a root canal there or a filling in that area? What you describe could be lots of things.

It could be something simple from a popcorn kernel being stuck in the gum and getting inflamed or infected, I had this happen once and ended up in a situation similar to Brian's recent dental nightmare. It could be that you are grinding your teeth in your sleep. Has anyone ever told you that you do this while you sleep?? It could be a root canal gone wrong, and trust me, sometimes those take years to develop.

I had a situation, where I had a root canal on a molar, and YEARS later, that same tooth, and the one next to it started throbbing. A few weeks later, I had that infamous swelling pocket at the gumline that Brian spoke of. A trip to the dentist revealed that during the original root canal, the dentist had pierced the tooth socket nerve while drilling, the "Y" looking thingie .(don't ya just love my technical jargon) and actually crossed into the molar that sat next to it, and it cause an infection IN BOTH TEETH.

I ended up having to go to an oral surgeon and LOST both teeth. They were beyond saving. But I had to endure the pain from the infection for about a week. It had to be cleared up first, before they could go in and address the root issue.

Sorry, this is not about me, this is about you. I just wanted to say it could be so many things. Brian has just recently had some experiences (most unpleasant) with dental issues and will probably be along with some advice.

I know his dentist has him wear a mouth guard. Have you tried something like that in case you grind your teeth??

Good luck to you, and I hope your situation improves.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 03-18-2008 at 05:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hi Evasive. I was having that problem last fall. Just for the heck of it I bought a mouth guard and ever since my jaw problem has gone away. I got the $20 Rite Aid special and use it every night.
Try it you might like it.
Fred

Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I get pain on the side of my face like that sometimes, up by my ear. Sometimes the cartilidge in my ear hurts too. I think it's TMJ
it's something to do with the way the jawbone moves when you chew.
you can ask your dentist about it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Yes I would say that TMJ is definitely a possiblity. It would be a VERY GOOD idea to at least get a mouth guard and try it out. If this does "fix" the problem then that would save: 1. visit to the dentist, 2. having the dentist make a mouthguard ($200-$300) - yeah mine was $300 I believe although insurance paid all of it

The pain you are describing though is classic TMJ pain. If you "push in" on that area right below the jaw joint below your ear and then shift your jaw out and side to side you should notice a nearly intolerable pain. So there are several things that you can do before resorting to seeing a dentist.

1. don't freak out (I know easier said than done)
2. buy the mouthguard (at CVS, Walrgreens), there are many different models usually around $20-$30
3. take an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, Aleve(naproxen) - whichever you can take. You may have to take a pretty heft dose to get the inflammation down like with ibuprofen (400mg 3-4 times/day but try not to go over 2400mg/day total) If you get stomach upset/burning just decrease the dose. You should also take an anti-inflammatory with food.
4. try chewing on the other side for the time being until the pain decreases
5. get a heating pad/moist heat pad and place it on where the pain is
6. DO NOT CHEW GUM for awhile (this will completely aggravate things as I have learned the hard way)
7. try to deal with stress in a more positive way (stress will cause you to grind your teeth)
8. Let us know if you are on an anti-depressant (some of these will actually cause Bruxism(grinding of the teeth)
9. see a dentist if you try these things and the pain is not going down

Let us know your progress and if the pain is going down. Hopefully these things will help and you can avoid going to see a dentist who would probably end up telling you the exact same thing but charging a nice fee

Brian

Closed Thread