It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Cymbalta Withdrawl

Hi All. A couple of weeks ago the PA at the PC figured I don't need Cymbalta anymore. She tried to double the dose ,30mg am + 30mg pm. I got tired of people asking when I went on prednizone because my face was getting real round. I went back to just the am dose and it went away. So she said just drop it. I know better then to "just drop" a med that I've been on for almost 3 years. After playing with them for a week or two I took my last one Saturday night. Now my upper back pain has gone up to about 8 and I feel like heck all over. I'm tempted to start taking them again , I've got a few left. But I would just have to go through this again. I sure wish this pain thing never would have happened! Like Duh! don't we all!
I really don't know how people get through all this crap without God. He might not make it go away but He will help me get through it. That which doesn't kill will make stronger. I am going to be one strong SOB!
Thanks for the vent.
Fred

Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Cymbalta Withdrawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthr Itis View Post
She tried to double the dose ,30mg am + 30mg pm. I went back to just the am dose and it went away. So she said just drop it. Now my upper back pain has gone up to about 8 and I feel like heck all over.
Fred,
You have every right to be VERY WORRIED about discontinuing the Cymbalta. I have to say it took me a good 3 weeks to completely stop it when I was taking it and even then I still had withdrawal symptoms. Look up "SSRI DISCONTINUATION SYNDROME" or "SSRI WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME. You will probably find that Cymalta ranks at the top for withdrawal problems due to the fact that it affect serotonin & norepinephrine. You do need to make a choice of whether you want to stay on it. Obviously it has made an impact on your pain so I would stay on it just at the 30mg dose which is fine. You do need to let your doctor know so you can get another RX.

I would call the doctor and say "My pain has gone up considerably when I stopped taking the Cymbalta. Can I please stay on it at the 30mg dose?" I don't see any reason why they would not let you do this. If you need to go off then you really should do it as slow as possible. I would get at least 1 more prescripription for "titrating" down. The best thing would be to get 20mg pills but if you have 30mg pills then this is a good taper:

Week 1 - Take one pill every other day
Week 2 - Take one pill every 2 days
Week 3 - Take one pill every 3 days
Week 4 - STOP

People may think that I am nuts for doing such a slow taper but they are probably the ones that have never experienced the SEVERE SSRI/SNRI WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME (depression, suicidal thoughts, electric "shock" sensations running down your arm into your hands, twitches, vertigo, lightheadedness, dizziness, dropping things, nausea, vomiting). So if you do experience some weird and wasky symptoms then look at this list and I am sure that it will be on there or do a search for the SSRI WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME. Keep us posted Fred.

Brian

P.S. Here is the list of all the possible discontinuation symptoms: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, disarreah, anxiety,headache, fatigue, vertigo, paresthesia(electric "shock" sensation), irritability, nightmares, insomnia, hyperhidrosis,vertigo,dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-18-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: had to make the PS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Deb53, who posts, on the back problem board has experienced major, major withdrawal symptoms from this medication. She has had to taper by breaking the capsule open and counting the beads and reducing them by "x" amount of beads each day. The withdrawal problems were so bad that they had to get a psychologist involved in the tapering process. You might want to do a search on her name or even direct a post to her on the back board.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I have never taken Cymbalta, but I take a pretty high dose of Effexor, which is very similar (same mechanisms in brain) and I have had TERRIBLE withdrawal if I miss even one dose. I get vertigo and nausea very badly. Your doctor was not smart to tell you to "just drop it." I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I would agree that there should not be any reason why your doc should not let you stay on the 30 mg dose. If not, he/she should give you a schedule to follow to ween off so that you don't have the withdrawal. BTW- I have taken Effexor for 10 years, and have not had any adverse effects (except, of course, for the withdrawal stuff) from taking a high dose, so you should not worry too much about being on this long term. Other people have of course have had different experiences, but I would say that if Cymbalta is helping your pain, it is one of the safer meds to take.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Toon, thank you for mentioning the skip a pill reaction. I thought I was going crazy. I get these symptoms and was going to bring it up to my doctor on Friday. I also am getting this right before the pill is due. I do not like the strange symptoms associated with this med.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

dietdrpepper:
I am sure you remember my little ordeal with stopping the Effexor. I believe that I am officially through the withdrawal. Of course my psychiatrist was not very happy with me stopping it on my own. You know what this may just explain why my pain increased all of a sudden, which corresponds to stopping the Effexor. Man, I can't win.

Brian

Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Fred, I did not get that from cymbalta could never tolerate it, but I did from another drug. It was the worst experiance. I was so sick. Sweats, pain, muscle cramps, could not eat, depressed, you name it, just sick. The docs. took me by tapering down in very small doses, took awhile but that is how it had to be done. I would definantly call on that. Good luck, Sammy

Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hello Fred,

I am sorry to hear of the incresed pain. I agree with lots of the things said in your forum.

My question is do you feel you may still need some type of nerve medicine or anti-D? If so maybe there is anothor option out there for you. Just a thought. I never had that side effect from the Cymbalta and I have been on it almost 2 years now. All the side effects I had went away after the first few weeks.
I have just run the gamet on some of these drugs myself and so I understand if you feel inside like...."what else is there?" "I am tired of this" Fred I really get all that stuff.

One thing you said was of the utmost importance to me. It was when you said you could not go through all this without God. I know that is a touchy subject for some but I really agree with you. I feel the same way.

I certainly hope this passes soon and you are feeling better. In the mean-time....hang in and I will say a feww prayers for ya.

Chrissy

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I gave in last night and took a Cymbalta. When I got up this morning the first thing I noticed was the vertigo was gone. Brian, thanks for the list. It really bothers me when seizure is listed as a possible effect. I am a widower who lives with a fish and a dog. I don't think either of those "friends" could be much help if it came up.
I think I need to have a loooooong talk with this PA. She did the same thing when she took me off ultram. When I told her about tapering she acted like "whatever". There are probably more people like her in that field who have no clue about the effects their decisions have on us.
Thanks again, Fred

Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fred,
I would call now so that you can continue to stay on the Cymbalta. If it is helping with the pain and you do alright on the 30mg dose then I would definitely stay on that. However, you must get another RX for it. I agree that alot of doctors and nurses just don't get it when it comes to anti-depressants and drugs that have anti-depressant effects(Ultram). Let's put them on it for a month and then have them stop. They would be SCREAMING FOR ANOTHER DOSE. Hang in there and stay on it if you can. If not you may want to try Effexor since it effects the same neurotransmitters. Let us know how it goes alright. I can totally empathize with what you are feeling and have been there many, many times. That is why I really never want to go on another anti-d again and I mean EVER.

Brian

Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

hey Brian, I checked out the SSRI withdrawl syndrome. I think it's safe to say I have it. Out of the long list of symtoms I didn't have diarhea or seizures. The wacky PA is in tomorrow, I'll call her. Until then it's back to the Cymbalta. I am thankful that I'd just refilled the script. So there are plenty of the little buggers in the bottle.
Thanks for your advise.
Fred

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User

Hi there. I have been on Cymbalyta for three years now. I started when we relocated and had a new baby (post partum depression). Withdrawal symptoms I have had when I tried to stop taking it included: nightmares, arthritic pain all over, severe irritabliity, depression, severe vertigo, etc. What were your symptoms? I take 30 mg a day normally. I have been taking 30 mg every other day for two weeks or so. I haven't seen any withdrawals so far. What withdrawls have you experienced? I want to stop taking it.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

My withdrawl symptoms were: Increased pain all over, vertigo, inability to concentrate, weird dreams aka.nightmares,nausea, strange electrical [hard to explain] feelings in my arms, waking up all hours, unable to get back to sleep, mad at the world and didn't care if I did anything or not. There are probably a few more but that's all I can think of. As a follow up, called the pain clinic today. She said to go back on them, one 30mg per day as before. Ahmen!
Fred

Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User

Gosh, you sound just like me. What about the Ultram? What were your withdrawal symptoms with that? I used to take it for female pain issues. You just never know what will happen when you discontinue certain meds. I think that doctors in general should be a lot more careful when prescribing anti-depressants. They can say what the quote unquote side effects are just from looking in their med. books, but until they take it personally, they need to listen more to their patients. We are the ones who actually know it first hand. I hope that you will feel better. It's so difficult when you feel the way you do, and then try to explain it to family or friends. I hope that you will finally get some relief.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hi Motheroftwoboys. When I went off Ultram the symptoms weren't quite as bad. Probably because of the size of tabs I was able to taper down a lot better. You mention the way others don't understand. That used to drive me nuts. But now I just smile. It's like the people who make the little comments like "he can't be hurting that bad" seem to run into a little bad luck. Like one of them strained something in her back. Now she knows a little about back pain. She has backed off the stupid remarks.
Fred

Closed Thread