It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Need a few prayers and some support Please!

Hey gang:

I've been having a rough few days lately, and wanted to join in asking for some prayers. I need to take my own advice that I always tell you guys, if you don't let us know you need support, how are we to know....

Well, I'm letting you know....

Please say a few prayers for me. My pain is getting up there the last few days, an 8, a 7, an 8, yesterday a 9 because it was a super long day with me teaching night class till 10pm. YIKES!

The weather down here has been crazy. There have been several storm fronts that have come through, and it has gotten cold (for here) again. My rods are killing me, and the surgical area from the fusion is visably swollen.

Anyway, if y'all could be kind enough to say a few prayers. Next week is Spring Break for me, beginning tomorrow I'm off through the 30th, and I am going to try to rest, relax and do some walking to try to get through this pain. I don't have any vacation plans or anything because that just always takes too much out of me. So for me, a break is sleeping till 8 am, and just veggin'!

Thanks so much, and I hope those of you with increased pain will see your numbers falling. I go back to the doctor on April 1, and I'm seriously considering having some sort (I don't know what) type of procedure done again. I just can't deal with 8's and 9's and working from 9am till 10pm on two days a week, and 9-4 three days a week. WAAAAAY tooo much.

Thanks guys. Y'all are a lifeline and lifesaver sometimes.

Big Huggles.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Need a few prayers and some support Please!

Hope this message finds you well. Hang in there and use the much need Spring Break to get some R&R. I was part of the adjunct faculty for years (worked full time for a fortune 5 company) and had to give it up due to the pain. I just couldn't handle the demanding schedule anymore. My spouse also teaches so I know exactly what you're going through. Teaching can be so physically draining. You should be commended for dedicating yourself to the youth of this country.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Last edited by Executor; 03-20-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Bless your heart....I sure do know what it feels like, weather-wise. It has done nothing but pour here for the last 3 days and that is not only depressing, but painful. It never fails, just when you've had something flare, along comes a nasty weather front to make it worse.

Hang in there my friend, with Spring Break coming, it can only mean we're that much closer to some much needed, warm breezes and sunny days. The winter sure does take it's toll on people in our shoes.

Just know, as always you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will be sending you my very best thoughts. Are you at a place in your life, where you can cut back a little? I know it's not an easy choice to make or chance to take, but we'e all got to put ourselves first as much as possible.

Huggles right back at ya, and you know I'll be here for you. cmpgirl

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much Ex and cmp!

Ex I truely do love what I do, and I think it helps me get past so much of this CP crap sometimes, ya know? It takes my mind off of the pain, even for just a little while, when I can focus on the needs of others. I absolutely love teaching sign language, and have worked with Deaf folks for over 28 years. Right now I teach an Interpreter Training Prog. and help folks become prepared to be Professional Interpreters for Deaf folks. Sorta like Marlee Matlin's interpreter on Dancing With the Stars if you saw her on that. I also got to interpret for Pres. Bush at our Commencment cermony the year after Katrina. That was an honor...but I digress. Sorry!

cmp, I have at least 4 years till I can retire. IF it came to the point of myself or my health, then I would go ahead and retire on disabilty, but I just don't want to do that. For a lot of reasons, one is that there is no one else in the area that does what I do (teach sign language) and there is such a shortage of interpreters. Right now there are so many children sitting in classrooms down here in my area and nationwide without interpreters due to the critical shortage in the interpreting field. Another reason is I absoultly ADORE what I do. I love teaching college. I love the breaks. I love being off for a month at Christmas, Spring Break week, off almost 3 months in the summer, and so on. I love working with others and just love teaching adults in general (kids not so much LOL! )

I intend to hang on as long as possible. I have a daughter in College myself right now, so need to make do as much as we can. I will not, however, jeopardize my body for any of those reasons above. I think when the time comes, I will just "know it". Kind of like when I hit my breaking point with the pain, and decided I HAD to go ahead and have the first surgery. The second surgery, my body sorta decided that one on it's own. I developed CES and lost use of my bladder so the fusion I was planning over Summer Vacation just sort of got pushed up a couple of months. The fact that I was right in the middle of the semester had no bearing on the decision on that one. It was either wear a cathether for the rest of my life, or have surgery THAT night, PERIOD!!! So I did! It was not fun, and not how I wanted to go about that semester, but I made it through, and my students survived, and so did I!!!

Again, thanks for the support and now that I'm off for the week, (just finished my last class until March 31st) my outlook is a little brighter!!

Huge Huggels!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I'm always more than happy to pray.

But how about y'all who live in the cold come to my place in CA. Our spring starts in late January and by now the temps in the daytime are in the high 60s and 70s. The spring flowers are gone now but some of the late blooming trees are still pretty and the others now have their leaves.

FL might be nice too, but we have no humidity. Best of all, no pain from the weather.

Come and join me here. We'll all veg out together.

steve

Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL. Steve we usually don't even HAVE cold down here. That's the annoying part. LOL. We have (normally) two seasons.

HOT and MuGGY!!

Thanks for the prayers. I would love to visit Cali! I'm going to get there one day!!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Honey,
nobody can understand your pain more than people on this board who leave with CP, so you at the right place.
I will definately pray for you to get better and to have an easy time on Spring Brake that you can enjoy a bit your time off school.
Sleep, rest and enjoy... rest helps to heal. Even though I understand what it means to love what you do (this great for us emotionally), but our bodies need rest still.

I also will pray that your last years before you retire will go less painful for you...
Best wishes and take care!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Moldova. That means alot to me. I used to post on the back board using a different name. (I had to change it) But I definitely remember you from there.

I hope you have some comfortable days ahead too. You're were right what you said in your other post, none of us really like to take these meds, but without them, many of us just wouldn't be able to get along day to day.

Take care sweetie. I plan to thoroughly rest, and do NOthing during my break! It's sounding more and more appealing, but by Wednesday, I'll probably be stir crazy!! LOL, doesn't that just figure.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Hello spinalmalady:
If you have high pain levels for more than 3 days, I would seriously think about contacting your doctor. I know that I would not experience "high" pain levels for more than 2 or 3 days. Hopefully, it is the weather doing it. You know you can always check out the weather channel site & look for aches&pains forecast to really see what the pain level is for the day. I know that there is no way I would wait until april 1st. I would definitely take it easy on spring break, hang out at the beach, or whatever you "lucky" people get to do that live in warm climates. anybody say bikini's ha ha Seriously though I will pray for you and I have to say that I have a lot of respect for teachers.

Brian

Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Spinalmalady,

I am so sorry to hear of the increased pain that your having. I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

At this time I really can't remember how long ago your surgery was but I am thinking it has not been that long ago.

I am very concerned that you say there is visable swelling. That fact with the increased pain levels could be the sign of something going on in there.

I would suggest to at least call your doctors office and let them know what is going on, JUST in case. You never know and they may want to see you sooner. Please let them know.

This is such a tough road for all of us and my heart always goes out to everyone. I would only wish all th egoodness I wish for myself on other people.

You hang in there and keep us in the loop...

Chrissy

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Brian for your thoughts. I think I can hang in there till April 1st as long as my pain levels don't stay where they are. I'm used to living at a six, and it's only been a few days here lately. I'm going to rest up and see if that helps. April 1st is only a just a little over a week away, and even IF I did call, I probably wouldn't be able to get in before the 1st, unless my doc had a cancellation, and that almost never happens. The ER is NOT an option with my doc, unless I want to get cut off. Sure I could go to the ER, I would just not be able to be treated without being cut off.

My NeuroSurgeon would not be able to see me in this short a time period either. It's the price I pay for having two of the best in the area.

Chrissy: My surgery (two level fusion) was a wee bit over a year ago. 3/9/07
The swelling has been there since around the Holidays. Sometimes it's a little worse than others. It's right at the site of the surgery.

Since I goofed up with the ICY HOT supplemental heat on Feb. 13th after being rear ended, and peeled off about half of the skin on my back when I went to remove the ICY HOT product, (can you say ouch? ), I have not been able to use the TENS unit because I'm still waiting on that patch of skin to finish healing. I have one tiny area left to heal, then I will be able to start using the electrode pads. I'm hoping that I'm just a couple of days away from using the TENS unit again. I've been afraid that the electrode pads would aggravate the area, and not allow it to heal.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm a hangin'!! I'm going to make it. I'm like the little engine that could "I think I can, I think I can".

Old 03-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Well of course I will lift you up in prayer. I can relate with these high levels of pain. This week has been the pits in the pain department for me as well. Would you mind adding me to yours too?

I am a little green with envy with spring break and not doing anything. Do you have your waiter lined up so that you don't have to get up and cook or have to get up for a drink? I might swing by with a bouquet of daffidols from my garden that are blooming right now. I just hope the frost does not get them.

Well dear, I pray that you find some much needed relief, get caught up on your reading, and that you have a couple good movies to watch. Enjoy!!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I am so sorry you are suffering, it is hard when that pain jumps up & you just pray for some relief. I will keep you in my prayers. Thank goodness you get a break. I hope you can find some relief before you have to go back. It is the hardest thing when you don't have much control & you have to work. I know I feel like a robot on automatic cause you can't think & you wonder what the heck you did to make the pain spike. Perhaps if you don't feel this pain go down you should try to get into someone, would be a shame to have it last the entire spring break & have to go back to work like that. We have had the damp rainy weather here the last few days & it has convinced me how the weather can effect your pain levels, everything just intensifies. I hope you have some relief before easter. good luck Sammy

Closed Thread