It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Pregnancy and Chronic Pain..........

Hi all:

My hubby and I are wanting to start a family soon, I have fibromyalgia and in extreme pain all day everyday. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any CP'ers who have been pregnant and taken pain meds? I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, but I was wondering if anyone took pain meds during their pregnancy, and if you did how much?
Right now I take percocet at night (that is when my pain is worse), and vicodin during the day when I need it.
The last thing I would ever want to do is take pain meds and hurt my baby.

Thanks for any help,
schao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Chronic Pain..........

Schao,

Anytime considering pregnancy, you should consult your doctor about medications as there are different stages of pregnancy when things are safe and when they are not.

Medications have pregnancy rating or letter code associated with that med. There is A which are usually the safest meds to include vitamins. Then there is B which has a low risk of causing fetal harm. The next is C which generally means the are not enough studies done on them to determine. The next is X where there have been reports of fetal problems. And finally X which means there is significant studies to support fetal problems.

Most pain meds fall into the C category. However, pain meds have been shown to be passed to the fetus, thus possibly causing dependency or addiction in a newborn. This is why it is VERY important to consult with your doctor before taking them. I would say most docs would not suggest using opiates on a regular basis due to the risk of dependency or addiction to a newborn.

They do give opiate meds during labor, but since it is for a limited time, the benefits can outweigh the risks.

Again, it is vitally important to first speak to your OBGYN before using any medication while pregnant. Probably not the best news if your are a CP patient, but the its a risk vs benefit thing.

I am not female so I don't have to deal with it, however, if I was, I don't know how I would do it with CP.

Good luck to you. Talk with your doctor about the catergories of meds and hopefully you can find something that will work for you.

Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I would suggest going up to the "search" function at the top of the board and typing in PREGNANCY and you will see plenty of posts about this subject. I do know that there have been many women that have been able to stop the narcotic medications during their pregnancy or use something like Vicoden which does not cause very severe problems like something stronger. However, either do the search function or hang out for awhile and I am sure there will be others that will post with advice.

Brian

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Aranger has given you some excellent advice. I'd follow it to a T.

Ex

Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User

I suffered a major hip and back problem after the birth of my second daughter (my hubby dropped my leg and I had an epi, so it swung like a pendulum) and was prescribed hydrocodone and valium (muscle spasms) for it,. Six months later I found out that I was pg again, as soon as I found out, I stopped taking the pills. I talked to my ob about it and she said that after the 1st tri it would be ok to take them, just not as much as before I was pg. I cut my dose down in half and didn't take them in the 24 hours before I had the baby. I was getting induced, so I knew when I would have her.

Anyhow, my baby is just fine, but definately check with your ob about this. Sometimes they say that the well-being of the mom outweighs the possible risks to the fetus.

HTH, Maggie

Closed Thread