It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
anyone know of any new pain meds coming to the market soon?

I was curious if any of you know about pain medications that are in clinical trials or coming to the market soon. I heard about one that has THC(active ingredient in marijuana) that will be indicated for the relief of fibromyalgia. They are going to be in partners with Doritos, ha ha But seriously there is one coming out like that soon. Anyone know of any others and what kind of pain they will be indicated for?

Brian

Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: anyone know of any new pain meds coming to the market soon?

Hey Brian, I haven't heard of any new pain meds. But then I don't watch the news or get a news paper so along with not knowing the bad stuff I don't get the good either.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

I did just read about a drug called Keppra which is already approved by the FDA but is used an anti-epileptic drug. However, the clinical trial involves seeing if it is useful for nerve pain. As many of you know the anti-epileptic drugs are very useful for nerve pain (ie. Neurontin, Lyrica, Trileptal, Topomax, etc.). I just thought I would mention that real quick and let others fill me in on anything else.

brian

Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

"Fentora" is the newest one I'm familiar with. It's made by Cephelon, the same company that markets "Actiq", the fentanyl lollipop. Fentora is a fentanyl lozenge that you put between your cheek and gum. It works very similar to Actiq except that (1) It's not on a stick and (2) It dissolves much faster and works much faster. I've also read where it's more potent.

The patent for Actiq expired and is now available in generic (Barr). It's clear that Fentora is the company's way of replacing Actiq in terms of brand pricing. However, the company claims it's going to target different segments. Actiq is only approved for Cancer pain, but many Docs use it off label (I use it for example, and I don't have Cancer). Fentora is also approved for Cancer pain, but they have submitted paperwork to have it expanded for other types of general pain, especially back pain. I followed one of their quarterly conference calls and they talked about the huge market potential for pain meds and how they felt like Fentora would be approved for broad pain mgt use.

Fentora got off to a less than desirable start as there were a couple of deaths. Cephelon blamed the Docs saying that they used it for patients who weren't opioid tolerant.

A lot of the new research and meds on the horizon are fentanyl based.

Ex

Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
"Fentora got off to a less than desirable start as there were a couple of deaths. Cephelon blamed the Docs saying that they used it for patients who weren't opioid tolerant.
well duh even I would know that. I really don't understand some doctors who think they know it all, prescribe meds they don't really understand and then have their patients die on them. yeah, they should be sued and probably not allowed to practice medicine anymore. If you don't know what you are doing, then just admit it. But you know how big some doctor's egos are.

brian

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

To be honest, I think it's a pretty complex situation of the "shell game." When Fentora first came out, Cephelon hired a bunch of reps to detail the product and they all ran around telling Docs that this was great new drug that was going to be approved for all sorts of pain. So guess what....Docs scripted it for that.

Then, people die. So, now the very same company, has new information out saying that it's only for opioid tolerant patients....Only for cancer pain.....And should only be used with extreme caution. Well, to me, that's a "shell game." If you saw the before and after information, you'd start laughing due to the huge differences in marketability.....Only that it's not funny because people died.

Yes, the Docs will ultimately be responsible, but I agree in that the company is much to blame. Many of these sales reps will tell you anything.

Ex

Old 03-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I know of a promising new drug called Tapentadol. It's a centrally acting synthetic pain med somewhat similar to tramadol but more potent - somewhere between morphine and tramadol. It is currently undergoing Phase III testing by Johnson & Johnson.

I'm kinda excited about this new drug. If you have read the PI for tramadol, you learn of the M1 metabolite, which is much more potent, with much higher affinity for the ¬Ķ opioid receptor than basic tramadol. If I understand it correctly, this new drug is based more on this M1 metabolite.

At any rate, this would apparently be the first new drug of it's kind in 25 years. Be looking for it.

steve

Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Steve,
would this new drug be targeted toward "nerve pain" much like tramadol is. Also would it affect any neurotrasmitters like tramadol.

I found out some other interesting info:
Endo is considering and/or currently developing a Duragesic-style oxymorphone skin plasters and oxymorphone and hydromorphone nasal sprays. I guess that this would make another oxymorphone long acting drug similar to Opana but in a patch form

Brian

P.S. I wish someone would come out with a LA form of hydrocodone. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that the drug companies have not done this.

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-21-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Don't know for sure Brian, but that's my suspicion.

What I've read says it's got a dual mode of action as an agonist at the μ-opioid receptor and as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Similar in potency to some of the big boys but with less side effects. I bet it's just as hard to come off of as tramadol though.

I'd love to see more of these drugs available as nasal sprays. That delivery method gets the med into your blood stream really fast, and much of the dose bypasses the gut so more gets into the bloodstream too. Meds delivered this way would be great for BT pain. I used to have my Imitrex as a nasal spray, but then they came out with a pen injector for subcutaneous delivery, and it gets to my headache even faster that way.

steve

Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I just read about a trial involving LA hydrocodone and ibuprofen, but I can't remember the name of the drug.

For me, I don't know that LA hydro would be a good thing. Even though I'm not an addict, I tend to like hydrocodone too much. The effects for me are almost energizing. I would avoid it probably. There's just too many family members and ancestors that suffered from addiction for me to try something that makes me feel that good.

steve

Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Steve

This is kind of a sidebar question to the actual topic, it relates more to what you said about "coming off of tramadol". Has anyone here come off of tramadol? and how hard is it? I've been using it for 5 years, daily...and have been thinking of trying to stop it...but don't know how difficult that will be?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthr Itis View Post
Hey Brian, I haven't heard of any new pain meds. But then I don't watch the news or get a news paper so along with not knowing the bad stuff I don't get the good either.
Fred
Thanks for the chuckle. I needed it.

I like the thought of a nasal spray. I like the idea of a fast delivering medication for those once in awhile times when the pain is totally out of control. This would be something I would not want to use on a daily basis.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Steve,

I was just going to post about LA hydrocodone. In my opinion I think a LA hydrocodone would be a good thing. Hydrocodone still holds the record of the most prescribed narcotic drug. However, I understand the abuse side of it as well. Many people get this drug from everything from a broken finger nail to back pain.

But on the other side of that is all the people in CP that do benefit from Hydro. I am just suprised that at this point there has not been an LA hydro med yet??

I think as technology gets better, the delivery systems will improve also. They have already experimented with putting Narcan inside some drugs so that if you tried to abuse them, it the Narcan would cancel it out. But drugs like Avinza or Kadian have delivery systems much harder to abuse and you don't see that much media around them as you do with Oxycontin.

Who know though. I guess we will only see. The drug companies are always working on outdoing one another, so I'm sure we will see many new drugs for CP in the near future. And with the demand for CP meds, I think it will only expedite these drugs. Guess will wait and see...

Take Care

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I was on KEPPRA last year.
The first dose i was put on - was OK, but than your body gets used to and when dose was increased - side effects kicked in: nousea, severe dizziness, sleeplessnes, etc.
When he decreased dose again - i had no pain relieve at all.
Neurontin and Lurica worked better on my pain, but i got bad side effects from it too.

I wish they find something which helps with nerve pain better, but with few side effects. Personaly, as bad as my pain is i would rather take this than to feel so sick from being nauses or other...

All the best to all of ya!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARANGER View Post
Steve,

I was just going to post about LA hydrocodone. In my opinion I think a LA hydrocodone would be a good thing. Hydrocodone still holds the record of the most prescribed narcotic drug. However, I understand the abuse side of it as well. Many people get this drug from everything from a broken finger nail to back pain...

Take Care
I heartily agree with you. LA hydrocodone has been a long time coming. I would avoid it, but it's clear that it would be a good thing for maybe millions of folks. I'd like to see it become a "single entity" medication, meaning nothing but hydrocodone, and that would probably place it in Schedule II along with MS Contin and OxyCodone. But that's OK. They could also use the LA formula for a combo of hydro and tylenol and still be Schedule III. I venture to say that the single entity LA hydro would come close to the potency of morphine. Many of the conversion charts I've read place 10mg of hydro as equivalent to 10mg of morphine. And I'm sure there would be many that would tolerate the LA hydro better than morphine or other opioids. It would probably take first place amongst the stronger LA opioids.

Like you wrote, we'll have to wait and see.

steve

Closed Thread