It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User
Hydrocodone strengths??

Hi, I am currently prescribed 5/500 2 times a day. Sometimes I need to take 3 a day to get relief. My concern is about the amount of pills that I take and the amount of aceteminophen I am ingesting. I am going to make an appt to talk with my doc about changing me to an extended release hydrocodone...would this be a 7.5/750? I think that if I broke that 1 pill in 1/2 and took 1/2 in the am and the other in the pm, my pain would be managed without the same amount of tylenol.

Does this make sense? Does anyone think this isn't a good idea to change? I would much rather go in with some information rather than talking out my rearend if you know what I mean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Hydrocodone strengths??

Hi Maggie: Are you seeing a pain management doc? Or is it your family physician? Also, how long have you been taking the hydro? There are a few different strengths of hydrocodone, but as to this date, none are extended release. At least not on the market yet.

Please give us some more background about your pain. I'm sure we can answer your question better.

Thanks, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

maggie:
you are not really taking that much acetaminophem. Most CP patients can take up to 3000mg/day for years without any damaging effects. Occasionally people can take up to 4000mg/day especially with a pain spike or breakthrough(BT pain). You are not taking very much hydrocodone at all. The strengths of hydrodocone are 5mg, 7.5mg, and 10mg and the acetaminophen varies as well. You can go as low as 325mg per pill. For example the Norco brand makes 10/325 so you are only getting 325mg of acetaminophen per pill. Hopefully this answers most of your questions. Are you concerned about the acetaminophen do to any current liver or kidney problems?

brian

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I agree with Cmpgirl in that we need more info about your condition, length of time taking meds, & etc. I also agree with Brian in that you aren't taking that much. LA meds are really made for those who can't get relief from regular meds and / or taking too much SA med(s).

Patients have to remember that taking LA meds isn't all positive....There is a tradeoff....Yes, it helps cut down on the "pill popping", for lack of a better description, but it also means it's in your system 24/7. As a result, your tolerance will increase, and you'll have more side effects. Speaking conservatively, most patients should want as little in their system as possible. Also, if your condition improves at some point, or other treatments become available, it will be much easier for you to change or stop meds.

To be perfectly honest, LA meds are a great choice if your condition warrants them....But, in most cases, it's a one way street...Once on them, most are on narcotics for life. Just something to think about. This is why we need more info on your condition and med history.

Good luck.

Ex

Closed Thread