It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Percocet causing nervousness/anxiety

I am having a lot of anxiety lately and some slight twitching and was wondering if it could be due to starting Percocet 2 weeks ago? Gee I know it can't be due to all of the stress in my life?

brian

Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Percocet causing nervousness/anxiety

Hi Brian: It's possible you are getting rebound anxiety from stopping the effexor. This can happen, even when you wean off of ad's slowly.

I'm sure the added stress lately is not helping either. But, my first guess would be rebound. I know you informed your doc that you stopped the med, but have you discussed something different?

cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

And of course it probably does not help that my doctor wants me to go off of the Ultram too. I know this is having an anti-depressant effect so I am not sure what is going to happen when I do stop it completely.

brian

Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm going to be honest and throw something out there....You've been very open about your past issues with addiction. Addiction often results from the paradoxical effect opiates have on some people....Euphoria, excitement, & etc. It's very possible that the more potent opiate is causing more excitement on your receptors, thus, causing the anxiety and nervousness. For me, I take oxycodone and fentanyl for BT. The Oxy has a much different effect on me than the fent. The fent is much more sedating & calming.

Ex

Old 03-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Brian,

I've been taking percocet for years now, while beginning and stopping different rx medicines, and I've never had percocet cause me to feel nervous or anxious. If anything, percocet has always caused me to feel calm. I would rule out your percocet and see if it's not another medicine you're taking that's causing you to feel this way.

Good Luck.

Scrappin'

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

grizzk62 HB User

Hello all,

I too am on oxyfast 20mg or dilaudid 16mg depending on my pain level at the time. I do get an energy effect on the oxy rather the sedating effect of the dilaudid. I remember reading somewhere that because of being a derivative of Thebaine that oxy has that effect if I remember correctly.

Matt

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzk62 View Post
Hello all,

I too am on oxyfast 20mg or dilaudid 16mg depending on my pain level at the time. I do get an energy effect on the oxy rather the sedating effect of the dilaudid. .
This is not uncommon and quite frankly, why opiates in general are often abused by some.....Especally those without pain.

Ex

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I'm going to be honest and throw something out there....You've been very open about your past issues with addiction. Addiction often results from the paradoxical effect opiates have on some people....Euphoria, excitement, & etc. It's very possible that the more potent opiate is causing more excitement on your receptors, thus, causing the anxiety and nervousness. For me, I take oxycodone and fentanyl for BT. The Oxy has a much different effect on me than the fent. The fent is much more sedating & calming.

Ex
Executor,

I didn't see your post last night before submitting my post.

I think you've put an interesting spin on this issue...you've definately made me think about it from a different perspective.

We know Brian is no longer abusing but I think unless we've been where he's been, or are close to someone that has, it's easy to discount how his body and/or brain may react to meds, which may or may not be different from someone who has never had a problem with drugs or alcohol. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

Brian - I hope you figure out quickly which med is or isn't causing your anxiety and are able to adjust, start or stop it accordingly...like most chronic pain people, I know all too well how terrible anxiety can be.

Scrappin'

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Brian,
yes to all your questions. I never had addiction as you know, but Percocet causing me a lots of anxiety, which prevents me from sleep, causing heart palpitations... My Cardiologist put me on Lexapro (anti-anxiety med) and it relaxed me a lot. My PM DR explained to me that a lot of people get same side effect from Percocet and Morphine.
Twiching is a very common side effect from narco med (especially Percocet). I have them too especially at night time. Dr told me if they bother me that much to take sleeping pill, but I don't have much problem with it honestly.

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread