It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Meds Got Lost By Fed Ex And Im Short Since Yesterday...need Suggestions, Please!!

Hi guys,
My meds wont be here until Monday from Fed EX because of a screw up. Ive only had two b/t meds today [hydro7.5] and have 4 for tomorrow.
for those of you who dont know, I get my meds from a compound pharmacy, and it is far away, so they ship to me. This has happened before, and its been the carrier's fault. My pharmacy always gets my meds to me on time~
I am also on the patches. I know I will probably be having alot of pain tomorrow, so if anyone has any suggestions to get me thru until my meds get here id be very greatful.
I knew of the screw up today, and my meds ran out yesterday. Luckily I saved a few for a rainy day, but 4 doesnt really cut it, and its only 5 pm for me. I took my last dose of b/t meds about two hours ago, and hve a dinner meeting to go to tonite.
I hope I dont go into w/d, but Im looking for more ways to keep my mind off of the pain.
My major pain is my upper shoulder around the shoulder blade. Its sunday, so I cant do any accupuncture or massage, and I dont have a ton to do tomorrow, so thats good.
Any suggestions?
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 03-29-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Meds Got Lost By Fed Ex And Im Short Since Yesterday...need Suggestions, Please!!

Oh my heart goes out to you -- running out of meds is one thing that scares the daylights out of me. I do not like the fact that many doctors do not script extras to have on in case of an emergency and wait until the last dose is taken before they are willing to write a new script. My heart aches for you and I will definitely be lifting you up in prayer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

kayci38 HB User
Wink Re: Meds Got Lost By Fed Ex And Im Short Since Yesterday...need Suggestions, Please!!

Oh my gosh,that sounds like my luck.I dont have any suggestions but I will say a little prayer to help you get thru it.My only thoughts would be to go to the emergency room tomorrow if your pain gets to be unbearable,Im sure they will understand once you tell them what happened.Maybe your dinner meeting will take it off your mind for awhile anyway.Again you're in my thoughts are prayers and thank God you have what you do for the rainy day.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Meds Got Lost By Fed Ex And Im Short Since Yesterday...need Suggestions, Please!!

Thanks Pepper, and Kayci~
Im heading out right now. As far as my local Hospital, I swear I wouldnt take my worst enemy there. Ill make it, it will just suck. Thanks for the prayers and support~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Four ideas:

(1) Would it be possible for your Doc to call in some type of emergency script...Just day or two worth? It wouldn't be compounded, but would get you through....Some Hydro or Norco of some type. As you may know, a Doc can call in a schedule II med as long as it's an emergency, no more than 72 hours worth of med, and a hard copy follows.

(2) Could you call FED Ex, explain to them that these are meds that have a significant impact on your life and maybe they could track the package and you could drive and meet them somewhere....Probably at a distribution center. FED EX has a very sophisticated system and should be able to put their hands on it fairly quickly. Granted, this isn't something they'd do for a normal package, but given that meds are involved, I bet they'd help.

(3) You've mentioned in the past, that you've weened down to a 12 patch. Do you feel comfortable using an extra 12 to get you through?

(4) The only other option would be the ER.

Hope everything works out.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 03-30-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Please keep us informed of your condition and I pray that you receive enough meds to tide you over until the Fed Ex Box Arrives. I think that once this is over with you might consider seeing if your doc with prescribe a few extra pills to keep on hand in the event of something like this happening again.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I'm so sorry this happened. I would definitely try Ex's idea, about contacting FedEX. It can't hurt. Also, I know this won't help now, but I have an emergency med kit, that my PM knows about. If my new fill date each month leaves me with one or two of my LA's and my BT's etc., I keep them in a lockbox in our home safe. I rotate the meds every month, with my new scripts, so they don't get too old.

It was hubby's idea, actually. He suggested it right after 9/11, because he was thinking about what could happen in an emergency situation, where banks, docs or God forbid hospitals couldn't be accessed. At least it would give me enough to allow me to taper down if necessary.

As I said, my PM is aware and actually thought it was a great idea. I've only had to use my emergency meds twice when they were out at the pharmacy, but I was sure glad they were there.

I hope you can work something out and I will be praying for you. Take care and you know we'll be here for you. cmpgirl

Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Since you said you did not have much to do on Sunday can you just sit with a heating pad on all day? I figure just to take the edge off. What about double dose of Motrin or something which equals prescription strength. I'm sure both these ideas sound crazy but thought it might help a little. I know if I sit with a heating pad on my back all day it helps a little. It stinks. Fed Ex should make a special rush delivery or something. It's not right. It's their fault. Hope you make it through.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

That just sucks!
I like Hessie's idea...sit with the heating pad.
Play with your dog to distract you....tv...book...crafts...anything that's low impact and can distract you.
Good luck~Mush

Last edited by trowftd3; 03-30-2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Izzy,
I'm just a little confused here. I thought you said in another post that your doctor had given you 250 extra pills this month and when you brough it to his attention he said it was no biggie.

Did I misunderstand, and the scrips were written for too many and they were the scrips you are now waiting for? Sorry if I did misunderstand.

I've often wondered about scrips being shipped to people and something happening during shipping that would cause a delay. I know it's got to be terrible when you have been on these meds and find out that they will not be there when you need them. I am so sorry you are in this situation and just want you to know I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Everyone here has already given some really good advice. I hope that shipment gets there FIRST thing Monday for you!!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I know this doesn't help Izzy, but Cmggirl's idea of an emergency kit is a great idea. I think we've probably all been in a situation where our meds run out the same day the script is renewed....Too many things can go wrong. I had situation similar to this once and my terrific pharmacist helped me through. I vowed it would never happen again. I weened myself way back over a period of a couple months and now there is about a week to 10 days between when my script is due and my meds run out.

Hopefully, something will work out for her. I'm taking her lack of on-line involvement as a sign that she's not feeling that well...Hope I'm wrong.

Ex

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I personally have a stash of one percocet but not the oxy so I guess my percocet would keep me from withdrawing?? It's terrible that we have to think about this but I think as cpers that it is something we have to think about especially when some pharmacists and docs won't write new scripts until the day you run out.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-30-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Izzysmom, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I like the suggestion about an emergency pack of our medicine, just in case. I was thinking about it, and a weeks worth would be enough, and with that you could wean ourselves off by splitting them if they are pills,like vicoden, or percocet.

I hope you are doing okay today, as best you can. I hope you can just sit on a heating pad and watch your favorite show, or read a great book. Just not move.

Good luck, and I think your experience makes us all realize we need to make sure we have some extra on hand just in case, especially to get us through a weekend. Sometimes, I know I do it, we say oh that will never happen to us, but we have to make sure we are all set for these instances.

I do hope you called your doctor and he helped you out. I will be praying for your good health and for gods strength to help you get you through this day.

Kassandra

Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks to everyone~
Im hanging in there. Everyone has great ideas, and I will definately do the emergency med kit. My doc did give me an extra script this month, and since I went to the compound for everything, I just destroyed it, because I told him I didnt need it. I just cant take the ibuprofen or tylenol, period.
He is gone this weekend, and Im not going to try to track him down, or whoever is covering for him, becuase its only one more day. I can hang in there, and our pharmacy is closed today anyway.
Im just lying around, watching movies, doing some light folding of laundry, ect.
Thanks to everyone who has given their prayers, and help to me thru this time.
I definately have learned my lesson!
As far as fed ex, I dont know if they would send someone down to their hub, and if they did its 3 hours away from me. I think Id rather just tough it out.
I took my last dose of meds just now, so I have until tomorrow morning, hopefully. IM feeling really crappy though, and my nerves are shot.
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 03-30-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Izzy-
I admire you sweetie. I know it's not easy to have to hurt AND deal with no meds. Sounds like you are already doing it, but be extra kind to yourself today. You are strong and hopefully the day will go by swiftly for you.

Again, hopefully FedEx will show up early tomorrow!

((((Hugs))))

Closed Thread