It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Oxycodone vrs Hydrocodone

Wonder why my PM doc is staying clear of oxycodone and only giving me hydrocodone . Does hydro work better than oxycodone ? My x doc had me on 15 MG oxycodone and my new doc put me on 10MG Norco that seems not to work as well , but anything is better than nuttin.

Another question , if a Dr. is not treating your pain the way he should who should you contact ? Went to my Dr. yesterday and told him I cannot sleep due to pain . So he gives me sleeping pills . I told him its not that I'm not tired I'm hurting .. So he says no more narcotics !!!! Ya know I'm not a pill junky by choice , I even stopped taken meds a few times just to take a break from them . But I been on these Norco's for almost 2 years now and they seem not to work as well . This Dr. I have now is rude , I was 10 minutes late to my appointment due to road construction and a school bus and he canceled my appointment . I have to travel 30 miles one way to see him and I never been late before,, Besides that there was no one in his office at that time , so I don't see why he couldn't fit me in. Said he was buisy ??

I would love to turn him in to someone ! Thanks a bunch.

Shawley

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Oxycodone vrs Hydrocodone

Hey Shawley!!! Your state must have some kind of medical board of some kind. Google it and see what you come up with. Is there another doctor maybe a little closer to home? I'm beginning to think that the reason these s.o.b's treat people the way they do is because the patient keeps comming back for more. Maybe if we started standing up to these bullies and reporting them and finding different docs they would be humbled.
I know that is easier said than done but it's worth a try.
It's either that or we all just go to the beach and start our own town. Shawley you can be mayor!
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hi Shawley,

Unfortunately, your PM doctor was, in my opinion, being a typical PM doctor. I haven't had good experiences with any PM doctor I've ever seen, they are rude, stingy with pain meds, they overbook on purpose and they push unnecessary procedures on patients b/c that's how they make their money.

Hydro is a step below oxycodone, so it's no wonder you're in more pain now than you were before. Most doctors are afraid to prescribe oxycodone b/c of the abuse potential and the street value. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there's no one you can call to report this doctor to, you just have to try to find another doctor.

After several miserable months being bounced from one PM doctor to another, I went to see my GP and asked her to take over my pain mgmt. She didn't hesitate before agreeing to permanently take over my pain mgmt. Before she took over, my daily pain level was averaging about an 8 on a pain scale of 1-10, with 1 being almost no pain and 10 being the worst pain I've ever experienced. Since she has taken over, she has made changes to what pain meds I take and now my pain is about a 3 daily. I will never go back to another PM doctor, they're too arrogant.

I know you live in a rural area so it's probably going to be tough to find another doctor. Do you have a GP that may be willing to take over prescribing your pain meds?

Good luck Shawley. I sincerely wish you only the best .

Scrappin'

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey shawley. ya know, the best way to get things done when you are dealing with any doc that you have been referred to is by speaking up to your primary. your primary doc IS the one who is in charge of your overall healthcare. mine has been really good about managing all the docs i have to see and how things are going. that is just part of what a primary is supposed to do ya know?

do you have an option here to change PM docs at all? every clinic and PM is different in some ways. it sounds,just from the basic fact that this doc actually placed a chronic pain patient on a med containing tylenol,that he really is not doing the best possible job for you shawley,really. after being on what you were,hydro is a big step down for you. going onto a level of oxycontin would really have been the best way to go here really. there isa big difference in taking 15mgs of oxycodone and only 10mgs of hydro,big difference in coverage there.

it just really does appear this PM does not have YOUR best interest at heart(or understands the bascis of treating CP) just by what he is doing here to you. i would seriously speak with your primary about this and get to another PM who actually KNOWS how to treat chronic pain. there are just sooo many better options he could have chosen hon. this is pretty obviously an opiate phobic doc. you do deserve much better care shawley,i do know your pain history from the back boards and know this is a painful issue you are dealing with. you just need someone with actual PM knowlegde.

just have a chat with your primary and see if you can't find a 'real" PM doc to treat your pain more appropriately. from what i know and what you posted here,you are just being way undermedicated for your level of pain,espescially after being on oxycodone at 15mgs. i do wish you luck hon, please keep me posted.marcia

Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley, I am so sorry this happening to you!! I honestly have to say the best thing for me was to see my primary. He finally took over my meds and has continued to be very compassionate towards me. I believe you might have tried you GP in the past but he would not do it, right??

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Shawley: We haven't "met" yet, but I've been reading your thread and saw your latest post to Fabby about the spinal stim. I have a cousin who just had the temp trial and it helped him tremendously too. He's just waiting for WC to give the final OK for the perm. placement. Also, as with you it did not do much for the back pain, but his PM doc is having him go back to the Oxycontin that he had taken before. He thinks it will work better for him, now that the nerve pain is being dealt with.

I'm sorry to hear of your pain med issues. I sincerely hope you can find someone to give you the much needed relief. As the others have stated, this seems to be almost an epidemic with docs today. This fear of Long Acting meds. I actually had to go about an hour away to find the PM I have now, and would go farther if I had to. This man saved my life.

I wish you the best and hope to "hear" more from you here on the boards. I know this was probably the last place you wanted to have to come back to. God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawley View Post
Wonder why my PM doc is staying clear of oxycodone and only giving me hydrocodone. Does hydro work better than oxycodone ? My x doc had me on 15 MG oxycodone and my new doc put me on 10MG Norco that seems not to work as well , but anything is better than nuttin.
I'm soooo sorry you have to go through this. As feelbad says, there is great variation among Docs re: their theories of PM. At one end of the spectrum, some Docs don't believe in narcotics and at the other, they Rx them like candy...And of course, there is a whole lot in between.

As a general rule, the conversion rate of Hyrdo to Oxy is 1.5 to 1. Meaning, that it takes 1.5 times as much hydro as Oxy. So, if you were taking 15Mg of Oxy, it's roughly equal to 22.5Mg of Hydro. You can find many converters on-line. This difference in dosage accounts for the potency of the two different drugs. If your new Doc has you on 10Mg of Norco, it's less than half of what you were taking.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Ex

Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hey Shawley,

Yep everyone is right about the oxy being stronger than the Hydro. after 2 years, they should be willing to look into long acting meds for you, IMHO.

I think your main problem here is that you are forced to deal with doctors within the workmans comp system. I have seen so many instances both here on the boards and with people I know in real life where wc doctors are rude and arrogant and try to down play your pain as much as possible, because, obviously, the people signing their checks are the ones in whos best interest it would be to say you are cured or faking or anything else they can think of to get out of paying you.

In short, you are forced to accept 'help' from the enemy. I think you need to try very hard to find at least a primary doctor OUT of the workmans comp system to take over your meds. after 2 years of pain and you submitting to anything that might help like injections and the spinal stim, it would be obvious to anyone you are neither a malingerer or a drug seeker.

Hang in there, dont let them get you down, and keep trying to find a doc that works for YOU to coordinate your care. Call county health and see if they can recommend someone. Let the WC docs know you are documenting everything, and filing regular reports with your congressman and union leaders if you have them.

And most of all, keep posting here because we care, and if nothing else, we can try and make you smile once in awhile.

Hang in there, Your Friend, Fabby

Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Thank you to everyone , but I have tried my GP , he said he wouldn't do narcotics because thats what PM is for .

Fred , I don't want to be mayor I tried that before..lol

Fabby my PM Dr. is not w/c related , there isn't to many pain clinics close to me and the ones that are , seen my chart and what med's I have been taken before and refuse to treat me. I honestly don't know why because I been trying to get help with this pain , with the stimulator / steriod injections . Plus I'm disabled . My pain been kept under control for a few months but lately its returned. Not my legs ( only when I walk) but my lower back and hips aches so bad. The injections I recieved 10 days ago didn't work this time . And I was excited they worked in October. I'm going to look around for another PM office , but I know soon as they know I'm taking Norco they won't see me . Thanks for all your help.. Nice seeing you all and nice meeting ya cmgirl .

Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

It seems you haven't had the best PM managment in the past as I remeber your other PM Dr moved and wanted you to drive very far to see him and left you high and dry and you had to with drawal.. but I do remember he did treat your pain aggressivly but you didn't like being on all of those narcotics, and wanted off of them for fear of addiction and for what ever other reasons you had for wanting off those meds you used to get. I do remember your previous post on that same subject.

Since now you are wanting and needing better pain managment you might have to make the drive and see your old Dr about getting some stronger pain meds, but remember why you went off them to begin with and how hard it was to come off of them. I don't think there is a law saying a Dr has to treat your pain with narcotics so I am not sure who you would call to complain about him not wanting to prescribe anything stronger than the norco. A Dr can refuse to give you oxycodone for what ever his reasons are. at least your getting the norco so its better than nothing at this point. ask him if you can increase the dose at least.

so your options are to find a new Dr to help with your pain or go back to your old PM Dr until you can find one that is willing to treat your pain more aggresivly. as it appears you need them again.
SS

Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Shawley!
How have you been old buddy? Im sick you have to deal with this, but like Slip, I remember your ordeal back with the other doc and meds. and I honestly think...and this is HONEST, that you have something in your charts, that these docs will not give you meds. I think getting the Norco is a HUGE deal...dang its better than nothing.

When doc has a pt who tells them ie: "Im having a problem with my meds, Im tired of being on them, I dont want to get addicted, ect." they will out that in your chart, and it will follow you forever.

Even though YOU wanted to get off of them, for whatever reason, the doctor at that time took it upon HIMSELF you label you an addict, OR potential addict. Trust.

My sis works in an Ortho doc's office as manager, she knows all of the ins and outs.
When I asked her this afternoon, she said, "Thats probably exactly what is happening to him {You}
When you live in an area like we do, there isnt much choice. I have had such troubles with my ER, and the other docs around here, that I would have to fly somewhere else for care if my doc retires.
I agree you should look up your other doc....Even though he left you high and dry, hes your best bet. Have you tried to contact him?

I just feel that there is something that is following you around,like I stated. Something from the past, and boy they are not letting go of it.
I know money's tight, and your wife is doing her nursing school, but its got to be that you can find somewhere to het help. Dang.

I know its tough for you to ride a long way, much less drive. I go 6 hours R/t By myself.
Have you ever asked for your records? I dont know if they delete stuff they dont want the pt to see, Im sure they do, but that would give you some imsight as to what these docs are seeing from past docs. Maybe its not even documented. Maybe they all have "their own little language." It wouldnt surprise me.

All I wish is that you get some help.
We had a really bad winter here.. This week is the last week of the whole winter, our F&G has been having crews haul up pellets to the starving deer, ect. Its har work getting back to them, and we are at 9000 ft and more with the high back country.
Really sad. We have ppl fly here from all over to hunt deer and elk, and its been really rough on them.

Let us know what happens...I dont get to the Back Board that much, but Ill bob over to see how you are.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 04-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I agree with Izzy that some of that stuff from way back may still be following you around, and again, remember most of that was written by WC doctors who had a vested interest in making you look bad.

I agree, I would ask for my records and read through them, and if you find anything, clip a rebuttal to it, how you saw it from your point of view. it may be as simple as one comment made 2 years ago out of context.

I just cant believe after all this time, they havent even tried you on a long acting med, it makes no sense, the norco is harder on your system, it really is not meant to be taken daily for years, thats what the LA meds are for.

Good luck Shawley, and also, make sure you let any new doctor know that the old doctors were all working for workmans' comp, they know how the system works too.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Shawley:
This is so sad to hear. I feel your frustration because I went for awhile after admitting that I was a recovering addict with very little help. The only thing that the doctors' would put me on was Ultram and I was downing loads of Tylenol with it along with my other Nerve pain meds. I know just how frustrating it can be. I think that something you said in the past may have labeled you as and "addict" or potential addict. I also think that you need to find another doctor. I would try looking online and searching for PM doctors. There is one site specifically that I am thinking of that helps to locate PM doctors in your state. I can't think of it off the top of my head since the link is bookmarked on my office computer but I will try to remember to get it for you. I would seriously start searching online for PM doctors. I wish you good luck. I now have pretty adequate pain control that I am grateful for since I am on the fentanyl patch.

brian

Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey shawley,when i mentioned speaking to your primary,it wasn't about him actually Rxing your meds,it was to have him assist you in just getting the basic care you need with other docs. that IS his job to just do for you. this is part of what a primary doc is supposed to do for their patients. if he wont write for you, or help you manage your pain,he needs to get you to someone who will help you to manage your pain in the very best way. this just comes with the territory as a primary doc. there just HAS to be a much better way than what you just got from the idiot you just saw. i would seriously sit down with your primary and simply tell him what occured with this stupid doc and also tell him i need your help here in coming up with a PM plan of some kind. just getting the referral to someone who will give a rats butt about your pain and suffering is the most important thing your primary needs to be doing for you right now,really. any input to another doc he can give on your behalf right now is just crucial in you getting your PM needs met. this is just his job that you actually hired him for ya know? you DO have certain rights in just getting you pain managed appropriately. this does not always mean narcotics would be used(tho in your particular situation they would be deemed appropriate) but you DO have the right to 'appropriate' care for pain.

i sooo wish you luck with this shawley. its time for your doc to wake up and just do for you what he should have already been doing by now. please let us know how things are goin hon,Marcia

Old 04-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hiya slippery ,

Yes I did have a problem with them before , but I only want something for at night mostly . I can deal with the pain during the day most of the time but at night its horrible . I ask my doctor if he would allow me to take an extra one when I'm having severe pain at night and he said no.

I won't go back to the other Dr. he's ticked off that I never came back to him . Besides that I could not afford the travel . I'll just do without. I really don't want to take anything stronger like I was on before , but something that would last a little longer would be nice.

Thanks for your help

Closed Thread