It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

sandy0224 HB Usersandy0224 HB User
So happy to find this board! Accupuncture question...

I have fibro, myofascial pain syndrome, Interstitial Cystitis (where the lining of my bladder erodes and urine basically sits on unprotected tissue, also have ulcers in my bladder) and many other things going on.

I take methadone for pain along with dilaudid for breakthru. Today was a miracle day for me and I was so excited to find this board because I had to tell someone! I have also got degenerative disc disease and have lately had back pain so bad that I wear my tens unit 24/7...talk about using batteries! Anyway, went to my pm appt and I asked for accupuncture. My back pain is gone! I really cried with relief. I didn't feel it right away but by the time I got home, after a pharmacy stop, I noticed it was gone! Just GONE!

Has anyone else had this miracle happen with accupuncture? I'm just overwhelmed with relief. Now, if only the REST of my body could feel as good as my back. Do they actually DO whole body treatments? I've never tried it before today and today I was willing to stand on my head and spin in circles if he could ease the pain...and he did!

It's just plain amazing. I have lived in pain every day of my life for the last 5+ years and it is such a relief to have just one part of my body feel good again!

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: So happy to find this board! Accupuncture question...

That is great. I hope it lasts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Sandy, Welcome aboard, & it is great that you are sharing your experiance. I have not had accupuncture but when I can afford it I would be willing to give it a shot. I have heard some postive things about it, even from one of my doctors who had it for his back. He is a big advocate for acupuncture & will be learning it in the future. He gave some good advice by suggesting that whom ever you seek for treatment make sure they are very qualified & experianced, that is the key.
My sister in law also had it done & said she felt a difference after the first treatment, unfortunantly she passed away & I know she had plans on continuing it & said she wished she would have tried it sooner. Of course we all know that it may not be for everyone but hey if it helps even a few that is great.
It is important in my opinion that people share what has worked for them, so thank you & keep us informed. Sammy

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I wonder if they make house calls. LOL I am so glad this worked out for you and pray that it continues to work for you. Congrats.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Sandy,

I had accupuncture for a year and it helped alot with opening the meridians in my legs. I had a lot of nerve pain and I feel that the accupuncture really helped with it. The doctor I used was trained in the traditional chinese accupuncture. She started training with her grandfather when she ws 5 years old. Anything that has been around as long as accupuncture has, must have some merit.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I may have mentioned this before, but I had acupuncture for anxiety/panic, and it completely went away after about 11 treatments and has never come back. Pain is a different story, but I am considering getting it, too. The only thing keeping me from it is the expense. I really like the guy I saw for the anxiety, but he is almost 2x as expensive as this place down the street from me. My guy is also an MD and got all of his medical training (western and Traditional Chinese) in China. He is very knowledgeable. The person down the street from me is a younger guy, so that kind of turns me off a little, because I wonder how much he really knows.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
(female)

Pam44 HB User

I recently joined this group. My son has daily chronic migraines and is a 5 week cycle everyday now. The pain meds he's used so far hasn't helped even to take the edge off. He's been going for acpuncture and adjustments for 3 weeks and so far no change in frequency or severity of headaches. We're considering botox at this point.
Pam

Last edited by Pam44; 04-05-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: realized I asked for advice and that is not allowed in the topic thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
(female)

sandy0224 HB Usersandy0224 HB User

Well, I'm happy to report that it's still working to some extent. I am having some back pain due to my monthly cycle, but that's normal for me and not nearly to the extent that the other pain usually is! I'm really happy. I am not getting my hopes up that it will be the cure all, but it did work this time and I have another appt in 8 days to have it done again. My ins pays a portion, I have to pay 30 dollars per treatment. Not bad, but not great either!!!

I see my pain mgmt doc to do mine and he's been doing it for years, at least all the years I've been seeing him anyway. He put an electric charge on my needles, and I wonder if THAT is what has made the difference. I trust this man with my life, in fact, he GAVE me my life back so to speak when he was the first real doctor to believe I was in pain!

Anyway, I hope it lasts longer than a few days!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all the replies! At the very least it's worth trying if you are having it done by a real doctor that you trust!

Sandy

Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I've been wanting to try accupuncture for my pain but my insurance doesn't cover it. Every month I say....'next month I'll be able to afford it'

I really think it will help me. My pm says try six visits and if you see know improvement then it's not going to work for you.

Thanks for everyone posting their experiences.~Mush

Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3 View Post
I've been wanting to try accupuncture for my pain but my insurance doesn't cover it. Every month I say....'next month I'll be able to afford it'
I just want you to know I spent $750 on the acupuncture for my anxiety, and I consider it the best $750 I have ever spent. It's tough, though, if you are not swimming in money. I hope you are able to swing it at some point and try it.

Closed Thread