It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

shannonjord08 HB User
Another question about the Fentanyl Patch...

I got my Fentanyl Patch refilled today and instead of the Watson brand I got the Mylan brand. Now, I was reading previous posts about the patches and I read a lot about how the Mylan patch doesn't work as well as the others. I know everyone is different with each medicine, but there were a lot of the same things said about the Mylan patch. I hope I'm not one of the ones that has a problem with it.
If anyone has used or is currently using the Mylan brand, please let me know how it worked for them or what they thought about it compared to other brands.
Thanks.
Shannon

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Another question about the Fentanyl Patch...

Shannon- If you type in the words "Mylan vs Durgesic & Sandoz patch" in the search window, you will get all sorts of past threads that are very informative.

Also, if you haven't used any, the pharmacy may take them back...Unlikely, but worth asking. Personally, I've never used the Mylan, so I can't offer any feedback. Izzy's Mom has, however, so hopefully she'll see this and weigh in.

For future re-fills, specifically ask the pharmacist to order the Watson or Sandoz brand for you. You will need to call about a week before your refill date and order them. Mylan seems to be the brand of choice at most pharmacies because they are the cheapest so pharmacies make the most money by selling them (vs the others).

Good luck.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have used the Mylan brand before and thought they were very inferior and did not work well. I actually have gone to a different pharmacy that actually keeps the Sandoz brand in stock. But if you are required to go to one pharmacy then you really need to have them order the Watson or Sandoz brand a week before you need them.

brian

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

i have had a better experience with the mylan i know we are all individuals and respond differently but i had a very bad allergic reaction to the watson and absolutely hated it. In fact i plan on returning the watson stopping by my neurologists office thrusday afternoon to get the mylan. Had to call the manufacture to see who sells it still in our area. They were not part of the recall since they are not a resoviu unit. I love the mylan brand !

Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

Hi everyone,
i wanted to share my experience. ive been on the patch for i think about 3 years now, i started at 50mcg, went up to 75, then down again to 25mcg. i used all sandoz everytime and ive had no problem. since the recall, now that im on 25, ive had to use the mylan and watson. ive just used about 5 of the watson but the last month and a half its been all mylan. ive never felt worse in my life. i thought it was because i was severly anemic and that that is why i was feelin so bad. well last night i ended up in the er because i couldnt take it no more. i mentioned to the dr that ive been feeling worse for 2 months. he asked if i was still on the patch and i told him yes but that they had a recall on it and now i get a different brand so my pain has not been managed as good. he then told me that there are some brands of meds that you can get by on by useing the generic and some you cant. he said that that is why ive been feeling so bad. he said never go from the brand to the generic, to always try to get the brand. he said he has alot of experience with them. he said that the inactive ingrediants or the starches that help your body absorb it isnt as effeciant as the duragsic. he gave me a fentanyl pop(first time i ever used those and it didnt help) and sent me on my way but with papers to let my primary dr know what was going on. ive eaten my norco that i have for breakthru pain like candy becausse ive been in so much pain. i went to dr today and told him what they said and he said it very much could be true so he upped me to the 50mcg again so i can get the sandoz, and filled my norco 3 weeks early! So my experience, sorry to ramble on. i hope i made some sense, im still in lots of pain. my 50's i cant get till next week till im out of 25, makes no sense but watever. have a good weekend!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Why can't you get the 50s until next week? Is because your Doc won't let you or the insurance won't pay? If it's insurance, I'll bet they'll fill it a couple of days early...Let your pharmacist know what's going on.

How did the Watson work? Were they ok, or was it just the Mylan you had trouble with?

The reason the fent pop didn't work that well was because it is very short lived...It gives you a quick blood plasma spike and then the bottom falls out...Your BPL is probably so low, it didn't do much....A couple would have worked, but oh well. The ER Doc was on the right track though. Glad he treated you with respect and not like some drug user as some have been treated who've posted recently.

Hope you feel better.

Ex

Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

pulskaki HB User

All I have used have been the sandoz brand and the only problem I have had is that they really do give me a pike and make me really druggy... for about the first hour and then I am ok
Kimmie-Kat

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

the insurance wouldnt go thru it said to soon and of course they r too expensive to pay for. i thought that when its a different mg that insurances will do it. like if you get 7 mg of norco and then get a rx for 5mg of vicoden its usally different and would go thru the insurance. its so crazy. my pharmascist will try to run it five days before i usally get it so thats good. the watson was alittle better, like it worked for a few hours to a day and then the mylan dont work at all its so yucky. my dr wants me on 50 again to make sure i feel better, thanks for the consern. yes i was so nerves yesterday but got treated very well by the dr. thank u!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

I suspected it was insurance. I'd have your pharmacist call the insurance company and explain that it's a new script. I'd call him/her....Couldn't hurt.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better. Once you get on the Sandoz 50, it will do the trick.

Ex

Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

thank u ex,
i can always count on u! i will do that on monday. im just glad i was able to talk to my dr for once and felt like he understood. ill let you all know what happens on monday. so for sure the sandoz 50 is not recalled right????

Old 04-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Shannon how are you doing its been a few days have you noticed any relief or differences yet?
Nu your doc said the same thing my doc did yesterday. He saw my allerigic reaction to the watson and said he had other documented cases of that brand with same difficulties that i was not a unique sitation.He thought it was the fillers and adhiseve used in that brand .
I got the new script. I also called mylan to see who still sells it in our area. The customer service folks were great. They did lots of calling called me back after talking with my docs office and found several locations in my area that still sold it. Mylan was not under the recall list but pharmcies pulled them anyway.
We get to the new pharmacy the insurance at first said no because of recent re fill. THen pharmist called told them i had a documented case of bad allerigc reaction to the other meds and that the watson was turned in and the doc had ordered the brand i was already on before the other pharmacy switched it out.
They then got the new script pushed through. I found in that case the big chain pharmacy was not willing to do anything for me even order meds that i had been on for a long time. But this other pharmacy was not only willing to report the bad allerigic reaction and send it back, but also went to bat for me with my insurance company. End result i got my mylan back.
Nu that goes to what your doc says, if something is working stay with it.

Question for yall do yall report bad reactions to meds to your doc?Make sure they document? ( just wondering)

Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2patch View Post
thank u ex,
i can always count on u! i will do that on monday. im just glad i was able to talk to my dr for once and felt like he understood. ill let you all know what happens on monday. so for sure the sandoz 50 is not recalled right????
POSITIVE! It wouldn't hurt, however, to call your pharmacist and make sure he has the Sandoz 50...or he could order them....It only takes about 1-2 days to get med in when they are specially ordered. Also, you could call other pharmacies if you can't get it at yours. If you have PM contract that specifies one pharmacy, make sure you call them and let them know...Mine allows for this type of thing...They just want to know.

Again, these darn Mylans are everywhere because they are significantly lower cost than Duragesic and Sandoz....So pharmacies stock them to make more money. That's the issue.

Best of luck to you!

Ex

Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Sandoz and Brand Name Duragesic function in the same manner--and they work wonderfully for me. When I used the Mylan, I am sure I went through a month of what I would call withdrawal and/or hell. There was also no pain relief. Frankly, I've never used Watson.

My fantastic pharmacist at my Mom and Pop pharmacy orders the Sandoz 75 mcg specifically for me, as well as the Barr Laboratories generic Actiq 800 mcg--technically called Oral Transmucosal Fentanyl Citrate (OTFC). This pharmacist is a very important part of my life. He even came out from behind the busy, busy counter to hug me when I had been out of commission for a while.

So, my suggestion is Sandoz!!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

conductor that is so impressive very very tickled you found someone so caring.
During my ordeal yesterday i had dropped my purse, the pharmist steped from behind the counter as i was struggleing with my cane trying to pick it up.
She helped me with my purse back to my seat and noticed the severe alerigc reaction. Went you poor dear , that is misserable isn't it? It was so nice to have a kind word and a bit of help. Kindness goes such a long way!!!!
I hope more of our folks here find kindness along the way in dealing with the stressors of getting their meds........

Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Wow, IM sorry I missed this thread. I usually read all of them, but there have been so many patch threads lately, I missed it.
I really hated the Mylans. they gave me absolutely no relief.
I hope you get your patches, and dont ever have to go thru that again. the 25's were the only ones recalled, so you should be safe.
Im sure youll notice a hige difference~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread