It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Overcoming fatigue/drowsiness/tiredness of pain meds

I think this may be useful, well actually it will be useful if I can find a way or something to conquer the chronic tiredness that I experience. I know most of it has to do with my medications, especially the Lyrica & Fentanyl punch, so what do you guys do to counteract this effect?

brian

Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Overcoming fatigue/drowsiness/tiredness of pain meds

Hey Brian,

I was Rx'd Dexedrine at first, but I simply couldn't tolerate the jitters it gave me. The same thing occurred when I was given Adderall, along with stomach pain. These reactions seemed strange to me because I can tolerate about anything and everything possible!

However, a great many people find these kinds of stimulant medications very helpful. But, don't you hate just adding and adding medications? Round and round we go sometimes, huh? I still fight exhaustion and sleepiness from my pain medications, but I do find the trade-off worth it.

Take care, my friend! Remember that you are regularly remembered!!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Brian,

During my short membership on this board, I have come to marvel at you. Your openness and honesty, your perseverance and fighting spirit. How do you hold down a job, with all that you suffer? I have been unable to work for a few years now, and some days, I can hardly muster up enough energy to feed the dog and let him out once in a while.

The Lyrica has made me profoundly drowsy/tired. It's weird, though, that it is worse on some days than it is on others. I think, in my case, that this varies based on the quality of the previous night's sleep, but not always. Sleep is one of my major issues, besides pain, and since I don't always sleep well due to insomnia and sleep apnea, the drowsiness from the Lyrica is compounded on some days. I cannot take caffeine due to my sleep issues, so that is not an option. On really bad days, I have to nap. I cannot drive, I cannot focus or concentrate on anything that requires even basic cognitive skills. Other days, I force myself to do activities that are very physical (like gardening or painting), but then I really pay for it later with pain. Today, after going to the physical therapist for pain in my arm (from painting), I have been forbidden to paint, garden, etc. It's just as well, I was killing myself doing those things, and my fibro pain just flares even worse on those days. But, it is depressing to me to think that I just cannot do anything of any consequence without my body betraying me.

I wish I had an answer for you. What I want to know is, how do you drag yourself to work while taking Lyrica and enduring chronic pain? I was making so many mistakes in my work that I was no longer productive, and the stress of it all really impacted me dramatically. Quitting, while financially devastating, relieved much of my stress, although I must admit my health is not better as I had hoped.

I sure would like to know your secret! Although, as this thread suggests, you are struggling. I suspect you have a very strong will and work ethic! Is there any possibility you can go on disability? This is a tough road to hoe, my friend.

I think of you with great respect and admiration, and will keep you in my prayers for relief from the drowsiness and pain...hang in there!

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Well to be honest, I have quit fighting the drowsiness and have given myself permission to lay down and take a nap as needed. My kids have become very understanding that sometimes Mom just needs a power nap and they either play quietly or do some homeschooling while I snooze for 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Since I have quit fighting it at my psychologists opinion, I don't feel like I am dragging as much.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hey Brian. Like Pepper I too have quit fighting it. My friends know not to call me during the mid-afternoon. That is when I catch a 1/2 to 1 hour nap. It doesn't matter how well I slept the night before. I just need that power nap.
I have a real problem with concentration that I blame on the meds. It even got to the point that after my wife passed away, I couldn't think straight enough to manage my check book. So I do the online banking. Everything goes on credit cards,even utilities ,then I pay them off by going on line and telling the bank to send a check to whomever. It gets interesting with keeping track of my meds. Like wondering why my pain is going up only to find I've missed a dose of oxy.
I could go on and on even more about the stupid stuff I've done or not done because of the fog.
Fred

Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMom85 View Post
How do you hold down a job, with all that you suffer? The Lyrica has made me profoundly drowsy/tired. It's weird, though, that it is worse on some days than it is on others. I think, in my case, that this varies based on the quality of the previous night's sleep, but not always. On really bad days, I have to nap. I cannot drive, I cannot focus or concentrate on anything that requires even basic cognitive skills.

What I want to know is, how do you drag yourself to work while taking Lyrica and enduring chronic pain? Although, as this thread suggests, you are struggling. I suspect you have a very strong will and work ethic! Is there any possibility you can go on disability? This is a tough road to hoe, my friend.
I really don't know how I do it either. I guess that I really just do not want to quit and it does get me out around people and I try to be social although that is tought for me to do(considering my bi-polar issues, anxiety). I push myself and push myself and I do end up making some mistakes becuase I am in a drug daze and if I do not get the proper amount of sleep it is almost impossible. Those are the days when I end up guzzling cup after cup of coffee. I guess after using cocaine in the past and forcing myself to go to work after partying all night and not sleeping has gotten me used to being completely exhausted and going to work. However, it is different now because I am "clean", tired, in a daze, and going to work. This is one of the reasons that I do get "cravings" sometimes. I just want to have a little something to keep me going but I know where that leads to(jails, institutions, or death) and none of those sound very appealing. I am really struggling and especially with having the flu and all of my other health problems. I broke down last night and was crying and went to my brother's gf and told her I didn't think that I could do it anymore. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and pushing myself. I told her that some people might see me as lazy because I do sleep alot but they don't walk in my shoes and see how much I do push myself and that I do work full time. I do support myself, pay my bills, go to doctor appts by myself, get rx filled at the correct times, take my meds at the right times, try not to set off my addiction, blah, blah, blah. I am at a breaking point and something has to happen.

You should remember that not only do I take Lyrica 300mg x 2/day. I also take 50mcg fentanyl patch every 48 hrs, Percocet 5/325 x 4/day, Trileptal 1500mg/day, and Ambien 5mg. I try to take alot of the medications at night that I can due to the drowsiness. So during the day I end up taking obviously the patch, (1) 300mg Lyrica, up to (4) 5/325 Percocet, and also I am down to (1/2) 50mg Ultram. When I took the Clarinex on Sunday it sent me into la, la land and I felt like I was "high". I don't know if I will be able to take that or not so I will try taking that at night as well. I told my psych that I can not take any more medications during the day that will make me drowsy/tired. I have to take ALL of the Trileptal at night which isn't the best(for my bi-polar) but it also helps with the nerve pain. I feel like I am slowly breaking anf fragmenting. I did pick up a B-12 sublingual vitamin w/folic acid, b6, and vitamin c so I will give those a go and see how they do. It does seem to be making my mind more clear and giving me a little mental sharpness and energy. The pills don't do crap. I can see now since only < 2% of the vitamin B pills get into your bloodstream so those are pretty much worthless. I will keep you posted and let you know. I don't think my doctor would ever put me on any kind of stimulant because this would definitely set off my addiction especially the "amphetamine" type drugs. I can't even take sudafed(pseudoephedrine) due to this reason. Keep me in your prayers.

brian

Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=Arthr Itis;3521866]

I have a real problem with concentration that I blame on the meds. It even got to the point that after my wife passed away, I couldn't think straight enough to manage my check book. So I do the online banking. Everything goes on credit cards,even utilities ,then I pay them off by going on line and telling the bank to send a check to whomever.

It gets interesting with keeping track of my meds. Like wondering why my pain is going up only to find I've missed a dose of oxy./QUOTE]

I do the same thing with the banking. Everything on credit card. Much simplier to keep track of.

As far as the meds, I set a stove timer for the next dose. It works like a charm.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My doctor prescribed Provigil for fatigue - I never filled it though as my insurance company won't cover it and it's about $175/mo without insurance.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Brian,

Sweetie, you are amazing! I wish I lived near you so I could help you out (that's the mother in me) and so you didn't have so much on your shoulders. You are stronger than you realize, and your mere presence on this board has helped so many people! I know that many of us would love to take some of the weight off so you could feel relief.

I take a lot of other stuff, too--Ambien CR and Promethazine (generic Phenergan), Xanax, Mirapex, Flexeril, Celebrex, Vicodin...among others. I'm in such a daze some days, it's a wonder I can walk. I am alone during the week since hubby works out of town, and sometimes I feel very alone, especially when I'm having times of great pain or sleeplessness. That's how it really gets you down--the being alone a lot. I understand that you work to support yourself and to get social interaction, but it sounds like you have too much stress to keep up the pace. You need to cut yourself some slack and examine your life--what can you change to make it easier on yourself? if you cannot quit working, at least find a friend or relative who can help you with things, like simple housecleaning or doing your grocery shopping. Or, even better, hang with you or be available by phone whenever you're feeling desperate. Help with even the small things can make a difference, not just in your physical load, but also with the emotional one.

Of course, you know we are all here for you, but it's just not the same. Nonetheless, I will step up my prayers for you. Remember that we all care about you and worry, too! Hang in there, but remember, you can lean on others for help.

With lots of prayers,
TexMom

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Brian, I'm new to this board; I usually hang out over on the back board. I don't know what kind of work you do, but I was wondering if your boss understands what's going on and if there might be a place at work where you could go for an hour in the middle of the day to just close your eyes and have quietness and a bit of a nap for a while. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't lie down during the day everyday. I need to for pain anyway, but since my doctor convinced me to up my pain meds to cover my pain better, I'm more tired during the day and end up falling asleep during my lie down time. I don't need to sleep for hours. A half hour to an hour revives me and I'll get up feeling like I can function again for a while.

I'll take the drowsiness over the pain any day!

Emily

Old 04-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

why don't you try to exercise some. it really does help Brian. I know you have major health issues and medical ailments galore but would you able to ride a bike for exercise? it would seem to be okay for your feet situation, they do make excerise equipment where you can sit down, maybe you should visit a store and see what they might have that you could do that is low impact. you can buy them fairly cheap used. or what about yoga or something like that? anything to get your endorphins and your body moving, I walk a lot and I hike on the weekends this is all I can do with my back situation. it really helps me with energy and my general mood.

I also take a nap when I am tired and I take klonapin to help me sleep, otherwise I am up and down all night long with anxiety, so if I am tired than I nap can you nap more, naps are wonderful!!!. I also eat well, do you? this would also help. Make sure your eating a well balanced diet of fruit and veggies and low fat. this will also help your energy issues as high fat and fast food can make you really feel bad. protein is good for energy vs. carbs, do you cook? can you cook on sundays and than have a few healthy things to eat during the week? that is what I do and i always have something nice in the fridge or the freezer if I am to tired to cook. I am sorry you have so many problems. every day it seems there is something new going on and I do really feel so bad for you, being so young and alone can't help things either.

I hope that some day you will feel semi normal again and can get your medical ailments under control, but I wonder if a better diet, less coffee and more exercise might help you out a bit. Just a suggestion for you.
Do you have a really physical job that is stressful? or do you sit at a desk all day??? that could also be a big part of things. If your not happy with your job it can effect your entire being, mood, health, and pain.

maybe getting out and having some friends and a good social life would also help you and finding hobbies that you enjoy that are not so hard on your body...
what about vitamins? you could visit a health food store and see what they have for energy and your depression that is a little more natural as I think all of the meds you take really do add to your feeling so lousy all the time.

SS

Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. There are many things that are putting a MAJOR strain on me right now.
1. getting over the flu and it is lasting and lingering
2. trying to take care of my niece & nephew on some mornings since my brother's GF does not have her daycare set up YET
3. trying to take care of my brother's GF since he is in jail and she is sick with strep throat & a bladder infection after trying to get over the flu last week & a bad cold
4. started Percocet on 3/10
5. titrating down on Ultram since 3/10

My brother's GF said that she is probably relying on me too much and it is true. I can't do it anymore and she can't expect me to take my brother's place while he is in jail. I am hoping that I will progressively get better over the weekend from the flu & that I won't catch the strep throat. I also started the b12 sublingual vitamin which is helping and helping me to cut back on the coffee. Iam also starting to get used to the effect of the Percocet after being on it for nearly a month. I am set to go off the Ultram and I set the date for this friday to completely stop it after 2 years of being on it. I know this drug can be a killer for giveing you dreadful debilitating depression. I am also hoping that the daycare comes through since she is waiting on State Aid and it is so slow and beuracratic. She really, really realized last night just how much I have been doing and I can not do it any more. I went to the grocery store last night after work to get her and the kids groceries, with my feet hurting quite a bit, and she was so sick. I had to take her to urgert care today to be seen and down she is on 2 antibiotics. Oh good times. Keep praying for me guys that things improve dramatically over this weekend

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-09-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Closed Thread