It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
(female)

hoppy1 HB User
length of time

I previously posted in bone disorder ( or it got moved to there as I put it in the wrong place, apologies mods) but am really concerned about the amount of pain I am in.

I fell early december and broke my left ankle in various places, including the tibia at the base of my leg. That was 18 weeks ago. I am walking now, albeit with crutches, but my ankle swells uip by the time I have been up about l hour and the pain is unbearable, I am on various painkillers which help but am really concerned as I still cannot drive or walk only a few paces unaided. Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if only sympathy. Has anyone else done this (bound to have done) and how long did it take to get back to reasonable normality

Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Re: length of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy1 View Post
Has anyone else done this (bound to have done) and how long did it take to get back to reasonable normality
Jenn
What are you having done or had done? My hubby crushed his calcaneus 10/04 and still has a lot of pain. I know these are different injuries He had orif(and later hardware removal) with cadaver bone. He also had a gastroc release and another procedure move tendons? around in the front of his ankle. I don't know if you can relate to any of these procedures but I think 18 weeks is still to early to be hoping for no pain/no swelling when you have anything but a simple break 'down there'. What kind of time frame did your doctors give you? My hubby was in a wheelchair for 5 months and on crutches for 2 or 3 and then another surgery and another rehab. I can't remember how long he was in a boot after that. Have you started any kind of pt? What has your doctor given you for pain control? My hubby was also given a tens unit to go along with medication. It really helped him a lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone is different and that it can take a long time for swelling to stop. Even now if he's been overdoing it
his ankle will swell. Hang in there and keep us posted. Hope this helps a little.~Mush

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

Thanks for reply mush, im in uk so think that treatment is different. I had operations to pin my broken bones, was in a cast for 12 weeks, at the same time in a boot on the other foot, then the boot removed and a new boot on the other foot for 3 weeks, then told I could put 100% weight on pinned foot. I suppose it is early days but I was told initially 12 weeks, which now it is 18 seems much longer. I am taking something called Ibroprofen and paracetemol in between, pain makes you very short tempered and as I really dont feel capable of driving on the busy roads around here its causing probs for my family.

Thanks for your kind reply

Jenn

Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

It sounds like you might have inadequate pain control. When you try to put weight on the foot, that pain could be skyrocketing so naturally you don't want to put pressure on the foot. This could be undetermining your recovery overall.

Make sure that you have relayed this to your doctor that the pain from putting the pressure on your foot at this point is unbearable. Try to compare it to something that they might be able to relate to. Ex: When I put weight on my foot, it feels like someone is putting my foot in a vice and is tightening it until the foot explods or it feels like I have stepped on a pitch fork.

Also anytime you break an ankle/bone, it is normal to experience swelling off and on for a long time after the injury even years so I would not be concerned about swelling at this point in the recovery process.

Good luck and I pray that you find some relief soon.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

thanks for your kind replies, thing is live free, I am supposed to be putting 100% weight on it, It feels as if my foot is breaking off and as if someone is pushing a hot scoop in it.All I have been told is that it is normal for it to be painful but it is real agony not just pain and it makes me cry, I feel a real wimp.

Jenn

Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I have to agree that your pain control is minimal. Ibuprofen and paracemetol is just Ibuprofen and acetaminophen...not going to help much with the kind of pain you're having. Will help with the swelling(which will be around for awhile) but not much with the pain. So, they said they want you 100% weight bearing and you should be having pain?? Just getting that straight. With my husband they said he could increase weight bearing each week at his discretion AS LONG AS THERE WAS NO PAIN!!!! He just read your post over my shoulder and said, "DON'T. DON'T. You will pay for it in the long run." You want to get everything healed before you put 100% on it.I was going to chastise John and say...we're not doctors...but I have to agree with him...Stay off it!!!
Good luck and keep us posted.~Mush

John, My husband had to wait a week before he could have surgery because of the swelling and because he had gone to a 'po-dunk' hospital with a veterinarian(no kidding) running the er he was taking an antihistamine for pain that was so old that the pharmacist had to look it up in a book....wasn't even in the computer!!!Sorry for that run on sentence.~Mush

Old 04-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

Thanks for that post T

They say it is all healed according to the last X.ray, which was weeks ago and I have been taken off the trauma clinic, but for instance I woke this morning after actually having slept and all of a sudden the most excruciating pain shot right through the top of my foot, I hadnt moved or anything, except to put my leg on top of the bed clothes Im going back to physio tomorrow and I am going to ask them to send me to X.ray again. They want me to go to leg physio classes which is for l hour once a week and the first excercise is 3-4 mins on an excercise bicycle. How I can do this when I cant walk I dont know. I have lost faith in the hospital just now and am considering going to a osteopath privately, as you cant get alternative treatment on the NHS.

Jenn

Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Unfourtunatly from what I saw my wife go through the only thing that is going to heal you at this point is time, as well as wearing the brace your doc gave you to wear. There will be times that you have to push yourself to get up and move around. My wifes ankle was swelling because she was not getting up enough and so when she did get up her ankle then her whole leg would swell, to the point where she could not get a pair of pants on let alone a pair of shoes, however over time with therapy she got back on her feet and the swelling went away. Good Luck

Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

thanks jojo, I think things are different in the UK as no-one has mentioned a brace, I was in plaster, then a support boot, now nowt at all, anyway Im going to see how I get on today.

jenn

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

well, went to physio yesterday, saw a excercise physio, did some different ones, came home in even more pain. Went to the Dr. this am to get some more pain killers and she is actually sending me back to the trauma clinic as she agreed that I should not be in this much pain after 18 weeks. So am waiting for appointment which I should get this week Im told.

Jenn

Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

well actually went back to the trauma unit this afternoon, saw all my x-rays, tol;d everything is fine, healed well. apparently I have a plate in the back of my tibia and one in the side as I cracked it quite a way, as well as the ankle injury, so obviously did a great deal of damage which will take time to heal. So I just have to sit it out, but I need to get some better pain management than Im having.

Dont know what but I do feel better as I really thought I had done further injury somewhere.

Jenn

Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Glad to hear you feel a little bit better about it.
So are you still going to have to physio? Or are they going to wait until you've healed some more? Did they give you better pain control?
Please keep us posted. I hope you are doing better. It is a long, long wait to heal and it does get frustrating sometimes. I just hope you can do it with little pain. Take care.~Mush

Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

Thanks Trow, well I am supposed to be going to leg injury clinic once a week to do lots of different excercises, so will go next week and see how I go, What still puzzles me is the fact that I am told it will be painful with so little actual total pain control. The difficulty is I think I am so allergic to a lot of pain killers so can perhaps only tolerate the basic ones. However I do feel better knowing that I have no more damage and it is only time, perhaps I can drive by next christmas LOL

Anyway thanks so much for all your kind posts everyone, really appreciated.

Jenn

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #14
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

thanks john

jenn

Old 04-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #15
(female)

hoppy1 HB User

Well, I believe in physological pain now. I went to the hospital and they re-exrayed my ankle, finally showed me all the x.rays before, after and now. Showed me the cracks healed, which I could plainly see and said everything was healed. Well I came home feeling dreadful, why was I still in so much pain, decided not to go to the leg injury clinic this week, Well I still dont believe it, I am walking without crutches, without pain, I am still taking painkillers but for 3 days now I have no pain, twinges and stiffness yes, but no pain. I cooked the dinner last night, made bread and 3 cakes yesterday, something I have not done since I did this beginning of December.

No way am I implying that everyone who is in pain is imagining it, but I really feel that I believed I wasnt healed and that I had done further injury and therefore felt I should be in pain and so was.

My heartfelt prayers and thoughts to all in pain and ill, I cant believe how I feel now and how I did feel.

Many thanks for the support I received

Jenn

Closed Thread