It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Any suggestions

I am having alot of pain & problems in the rib cage, sternum area. Not a fun area to have pain in, getting alot of chest pain. Anyway started PT & she did a real detailed exam on the ribs. She found that a couple of the ribs are hypermobile, have lot of movement to them, which the ribs should not do. The sternum is super sore & tender, & that area can really become inflamed, kind of gets a bulge in it when it is acting up.
I know I have problems with the ribs & she is the second PT to confirm that. All the doctors I have seen & not one has looked closely into the ribs, makes me so mad.
The pain can be pretty darn bad, especially the sharp chest pain. She is suggestioning that I bind them up & ice them as much as possable, because besides rest there is not much else they can so with the ribs, Which I know to be true. She will continue to due therapy on them along with the shoulder.
The brace or what ever it is called looks pretty big & is actually for the abdominal area. Since the ribs that I am having problems with are higher up I wonder if there is another way or something else out there that can be used.

The surgeon is hoping that as the shoulder improves the ribs will get better & I am willing to try anything to help them along, but I want to do so as comfortably as I can, I know binding them is going to be uncomfortabel no matter what. I am pretty petite so just looking at the size of that brace makes me cringe. Anyone have any suggestions? I am hoping to find something before my next PT appointment, which is next tues. Anyone know what they usually bind the ribs with, or any suggestons? As always thanks, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Any suggestions

Hi Sammy,

I don't really have any answers to your questions, nothing factual anyway. I am asumeig that the reason to brace the area is to give the ribs time to heal whith as little room to move as possible.

I am so sorry that your having so much pain. I know how difficut this has been and continues to be for you and your family.

My heart goes out to you my friend. You are an amazing person to be dealing with that kind of pain.

Truley I hope that some sort of answers and relief is in your future.
Hang in and keep that chin up.

"gentle hugs"

God Bless...
Christine

Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

He Sammy: The only thing I can think of is Myofascial Release Therapy, which I have every couple of months. This is a therapy done to help relax muscles that spasm. The best practitioners, in my opinion are Liscensed Massage Therapists, but some PT's have the appropriate training. Some say they do it, but don't have specific training in it.

It should start out very lightly, like butterflies, and then gradually increase in pressure as you become tolerant. This, in my opinion is one of the best ways to combat spasms. (Spasms are a major part of my condition) It may be somewhat temporary, based on what a person's condition(s) is/are. But it can permenantly help heal spasm's that are not chronic in nature.

I would ask your PT about it. It certainly can't hurt. Also, have you been on any muscle relaxers? I have to take them every day. It's hard sometimes, to find the one that works best for you, but they really do help.

Good luck and God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, as always you are such a dear friend, thank you for always being there for me.
cmp, I will ask the pt my next visit, she is very gentle, almost sounds like what you are describing. I am so sore she is taking it super slow.
I going to call a medical supply today & inquire if they carry something for the ribs. I will try what ever is suggested, I am tired of the pain.
I have thought alot about a muscle relaxer. It is so hard because I try to avoid getting to tired, at least for now, trying to work but pt wants me to pretty much slow it down, in fact she says I need to pretty much need to just rest, no work at all, I wish. Hopefully I will get help at work this week & that will allow me to get more rest in. I know I am going to be left with no choice. Hard when your job is at stake, no work no pay.
I am so bad some mornings that I think I will take something to help the muscles at night, since I can't seen to cool it in my sleep, I know for a fact I am really aggravating everything due to constantly moving around all night.
I pray this pt helps. Sammy

Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, I know my pain is the highest in the am. until my doctor moved around my oxycontin and I take it 4 times a day. It might be easier to make sure you take meds around the clock even if you have to set an alarm clock to get up during the night to take a pill. It will keep the pain meds in your system so that you are not trying to play catch up in the morning.

I don't know if you are trying this already or not but its a thought.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Sammy, I don't know anything about your rib problem but you might want to be very causious about binding them. Anything that inhibits your breathing wouldn't be good.
Just a thought. Have as good a day as possible. Enjoy the sun!
Fred

Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey hon,just thought of a possibility here after doing that long post on our other thread,duh? obtaining some of the wider type of ACE bandages is about all i can think of at this point,ya know what i mean(it would give you the elasticity/stability and ability to still move)? you would of course have to have someone wrap the area for you,but this is about all i can actually think of right now.(the duct tape would have been fun tho,lol at least for your daughter anyways).

just remember what i told you about the pitfalls of doing this tho hon. like i mentioned before and now cmp just did,trying the myofascial once you have identified the real underlying problem here would work wonders to rid that whole area of the TPs and tightness from this surgery. my PT guy got me right back into very light myo at my very first post op PT visit. this is a wonderful therepy that my ins co wouldn;t pay for back in 03 but now does. same dang co tho. going back to this guy who was doing the craniosacral and myo pre op really was the best possible PT person i could have chosen. he sneaks in my myo between the standard regular rotator cuff PT that i also have. gotta love em. he just knows my totally screwed up body.

but try the ACEs hon(they DO make some really wide ones),and see if this doesn;t help some. but not doing the regular 'job' would really help you the most,and the other stuff i said in the other post. MRI MRI MRI. let me know if you try this. just be very careful once you take it off tho(muscles) and don;t keep it bound for too long at a time either. if you do this,go from directly under the armpits on down,not from bottom up. this will keep the ribs from kind of herniating upwards? you know what i mean? if the are hypermobile,any pressure has to start at the top and go downwards. just make it "comfortable" and no more than that. if your face turns blue you have it too tight,lol. like to end on an 'up' note. just be careful sammy.marcia

Closed Thread