It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

Scott19 HB User
Electrical Stimulation anyone?

I have chronic lower back, failed back surgery syndrome stuff - been on pain meds for 3 years now, pre and post surgery. I trialed the Medtronic electrical stimulation device a couple weeks ago - leads are inserted into the spine and a controller is attached to the leads, allowing one to increase/decrease electrical stimulation. It can even be directed to one or both legs. It has a reputation for managing leg pain better than back pain.

It really worked well for me so I am scheduled to have it implanted "permanently" later this week. Does anyone have any knowledge or feedback on this device?

Thanks, Scott

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Electrical Stimulation anyone?

Thank you so much for knowing and posting the brand name of your stimulator. Apparently no one knows what they have implanted or tried and that information is so important. Please keep us posted on how it works after permanent implanting and another piece of information what medications were you on before and then after the implant? that is also very important information. Does it allow you to function normally or do you still have some pain that restricts you in some way? Thank you for sharing your story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

edsie1137 HB User

I was considering the medtronic unit as well. A friend of mines daughter has one for the last 8 months and is thrilled. She had failed back surgery,She has been on Methadone, duragesic patches, Percoset, ad infinitum. She said she would reccommend it in a hert beat.She is almost off all of her meds, and is virtually pain free. Her doctor is in NY as well as the Medtronic representative. She was very successful with the trial and so then had the implant done. I am seriously considering it, even if it means going to NY. I understand that the doctor who does the procedure in Memphis is very ill, and not working at this time.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
(male)

Scott19 HB User

To answer both sets of questions:
- I am on Fentanyl patches, percocet and have tried many other non-narcotic approaches with little success. My pain is lower back and right leg for the most part.

- There are a number of physicians in Memphis who perform this procedure, probably because Medtronic's business unit who makes the electronic stimulator is made here.I would be happy to give you a referral to either a doctor or the Medtronic representative. I know we cannot list names here so if you are interested in making contact, please let me know and I think we can connect outside of the forum.

I will follow up with results, the trial period had excellent results.

Scott

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

There are already 4 post about the stimulators on this board .. I had the Medtronic stim implanted since last year. It does work great for hip /leg pain.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Scott before you go in for your implant you may want to ask for the Bionic system implant.. Supposed to be a cadilac of stimulators . Better than Medtroni /ANS .. This comes from a Dr. who implants both the Medtronic and Bionics . Wish I would of known before I got the Medtronic implant .. It's your choice .. Good luck and glad it has helped your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott19 View Post
To answer both sets of questions:
- I am on Fentanyl patches, percocet and have tried many other non-narcotic approaches with little success. My pain is lower back and right leg for the most part.

- There are a number of physicians in Memphis who perform this procedure, probably because Medtronic's business unit who makes the electronic stimulator is made here.I would be happy to give you a referral to either a doctor or the Medtronic representative. I know we cannot list names here so if you are interested in making contact, please let me know and I think we can connect outside of the forum.

I will follow up with results, the trial period had excellent results.

Scott

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

edsie1137 HB User

Thanks for your reply Scott. I understand that the Memphis Dr. that does this surgery is very ill and will be out of pocket for some time. I would like to know more about the possiblity of having this procedure done in Memphis. Do you know of any number of Dr's that do the implant.?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I hate to just jump in , but oh well ..

edsie , most spine surgeons or pain management Dr.'s do the spinalcord stimulator implants .. Its been around forever .. Good Luck

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

djbds HB User

Everybody seems to have some great comments...

I just want to let you all chew on something real quick...

I have had chronic post-traumatic neuropathy/chronic pain from several groin injuries and surgeries (9 in 2yrs). I have been put through the ringer with drugs; vicodin, percocet, kadian, morphine sulp, duragesic, etc...not to mention all the NSAIDS, anti-epileptic/anti-seizure/anti-depressant/anti-inflammatory, sleep aid, nausea aid, etc...

I am now on a great regiment; methadone, lyrica, ritalin (for pain actually), wellbutrin, and lunesta...I know everyone is different, however, that combo really seems to work out with minimal side-effects.

The most important thing I did was get a stim implant over 1 year ago...it is the newest one by ANS. Although larger than the AB units mentioned, it has over 3 times more battery capacity, 16 leads (rather than 6-8), and a much stronger electrical range. The AB and Medtronic units will last 1-3 years at best before you need ANOTHER surgery to replace the IPG (battery, the leads stay in all the time)...the ANS unit will go 4-6 years before that point. I am not advising one unit or another, just giving facts...you need to make those important decisions.

Make sure you are FULLY aware of EVERY aspect of the trial/permanent implants. I had a permanent implant 1 1/2 years ago...the IPG was implanted in my left abdomen right below my belt line. MAKE SURE your surgeon properly places the unit!!!! Having your belt and pant line CONSTANTLY rubbing against the edge of your IPG is REAL BAD! Your surgeon needs to think of EVERY aspect of how your body moves to really determine the SPECIFIC placement that will work with minimal irritability if any...

6 weeks after that implant (1 1/2 yrs ago), I woke up with a distended, red, and warm belly over the IPG implant. By 6 pm that evening, I was in the surgery unit of my local Kaiser having an emercency removal of a STAFF INFECTION...oh yes, the unit and leads went with it. For the next 3 1/2 months, I had a 5 inch wide incision in my abdomen that had to be LEFT OPEN to heal from the INSIDE OUT!! Every day, twice a day, I had to PACK that incisional hole (that the IPG was originally implanted in) with gauze (initially, I was using over 9 yds of gauze each pack). My SECOND implant was put in the same incision, however, placed right below my rib cage on the left...much better placement. I am 5'9'' and 125lbs, so the placement had to be just right, you know?

I would love for any and all of you to please contact me or reply to this message...any questions or comments would be awesome!!

-Dave

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Dave , sorry this happened to you but why didn't you have this put below your belt line ?

I have the Medtronic unit , I had a choice of the ANS or Medtronic . From everything I read or heard about the ANS I chose to go with the Medtronic stim , my battery will last 5yrs and maybe longer . They have came out with a new battery.. I guess it depends on how much /how long you leave this on.

But from what I have learned from my Dr. and others that the Bionic system is way much better than the others ..More coverage and better stimulation package .. The Bionics is the Cadilac of stimulators.. So what actually caused the staph infection ? What is an IPG ? Are you sure the staph didn't come with the surgery itself ? Just sounds wierd to me..

Hope things are well now.

Closed Thread