It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User
how soon is to soon?

I had anterior/posterior surgery 2 weeks ago with screws and rods with a fusion from L-4 to S-1. And i have severe pain in right leg. I told the doctor about this pain and they just explained what they did before the surgery that it could help all the pain or it couldnt. So i knew it was a chance i was taking.
I was just wondering if anyone knew how soon would it be that i could do the nerve block injection? Or is it something i have to discuss with the doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: how soon is to soon?

WHOA!!!!!! You are only two weeks out of surgery. It takes up to 6 months before you see fusion. No doc in his right mind is going to do a nerve block injection at this point on you.

You just had major surgery. Your nerves and muscles were poked and prodded and moved about. All thinks that they don't like to have done to them. It takes time for them to get over being moved and stretched and jerked around. It takes time for them to heal and to settle down. It will be 6 weeks before you start to even feel half way human. It takes time for healing inside and out.Don't rush it. If you push it, you will end up un doing all the hard work that your surgeon has done. Patience is the name of the game. You will find that as you heal some of this pain will subside. You have to give yourself time.

I have had my lower three discs replaced. With the same surgery so i am familiar with what you have gone through. The best thing is to go slow and let yourself heal. Don't rush it. Pace yourself. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Thanks lot and i know i have to be patient its just this pain in my right leg is just killing me. I didnt have this pain before it was alot in the left leg but it switched legs and WAY worse.

Thanks alot for responding i guess it was alot of the pain talking. They gave me percocets and i really havent been taking them as i have been feeling ok but i guess i need to keep them at least in system cause then my leg gets so bad its hard to control.

I hope you are doing well.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Truly this is normal to have increased nerve pain. During surgery they moved and manipulated some of those nerves so they need time to recover. Don't be suprised if it takes as long as 3 to 6 months or more for things to calm down. The main thing that you can do to help yourself is to walk, walk and walk. Take it easy so that you don't mess up your surgeons work.

After my fusion, we did a nerve block at 9 months post op and I have herd of a few epi's at 6/7 months but nothing like a nerve block at 2 / 3 weeks post op.

Are you on any nerve medications such as: neurotin, cymbalta, topomax, or Lyrica?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Thanks diet it gives me something to look forward to. cause this pain is something else!! They gave me lyrica before and it ddint help but i still have some left and i took one yesterday but i am not so sure it worked cause i took a nap right after. I do walk alot but i have to lay alot also.

Sister was asking how long i was going to sleep in the hospital bed but i have a waterbed and i cant imaging crawling in it. She thinks i could but i finally came out and told her let her have all this work done to her and lets see how it feels. Its worse than the first but there was ALOT more done this time.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

tm:

A couple of things that worked for me post op fusion (I'm just over one year out) for the severe nerve pain were:

1) Lyrica: It helped initially, then I had a severe reaction to it, though we are all different and you might not. If you are already on some type of nerve type medication, perhaps a talk with your doctor about an increase is in order.

2) Lidoderm patches: I cut them into strips and placed them on the spots where the nerve pain was the deepest. For me it was my butt, and my ankles. I looked like a freak, but it really helped.

3) WALK, WALK, WALK. Do as much as you can. I started out with a walker in the hosp. and moved to a cane, and was walking 1-3 miles a day around my circle. Crazy as it sounds it really helped wake up those nerves and settle them down.

Do I still have pain. YUP!! 24/7. Is as bad as it was pre-op?? Nope, it's different, but it still hurts!!! Good days, bad days, AWFUL days. Ahhhh, the life of a CP'er!!

Much luck to you.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

thanks spinalmalady i guess when it hurts so bad instead of laying down sometimes i need to walk more. I might try lyrica again i had before but it ddint help but it might this time.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

This amazes me ! My surgeon said I could not have any sort of steriod injections near my fusion site because the steriod can eat up the BMP and could cause a non-union ( failed to fuse ) either he doesn't know what he's talking about or your Dr.'s don't care ??? I don't know ?

But yeah , it takes a couple months for everything to calm down

Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

tm-

another thing....you need to keep your pain under control. You were given pain meds for a reason. If yo let the pain get the better of you, you will suffer. Take your meds at the times you were prescribed, until you are healed enough that you can scale down on them. Don't try to tough it out without them. This is hard surgery that causes sever pain. That's why you were given the pills. If you don't take your pills your body is trying to cope with the pain and also trying to heal itself. If you give it pain pills it can work on healing itself that much better.

Get on a good nerve med. That also takes time to get in your system. If the Lyrica doesn't work, try another. Nuerontin, Topomax..there are several out there. Try another until you get one that works for you. Lyrica worked for me except that I gained 18 lbs. in the blink of an eye! Keep trying until you get a med that helps with the nerve pain. That will really help with your outlook.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

thanks and i know what you are saying about the pain meds i know i should be taking them i dont know why i was doing like you said toughing it out. I havent asked my dr. this question i was just wondering i havent tried to have this done or anything. I am just anxious i guess beings that the fusion never healed the first time but beleive me i would NEVER jeperdize undoing anything from this surgery. I have put in a call to the dr. cause it is like 3 and a half hours away so i cant just go over there but i am asking about the neurotin when they call back.

I want to thank you all for responses but like i said i would never do anything to mess this up.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

My docs didn't use any tpe of anti inflamatory orhter than one dose of IV steroids imediately post up to jump start reductionin swelling. Steroids are still considered a bad thing as far as fusions go. 2 weeks post op is way to early to tell whether a fusion worked or not. The nerve pain could be swelling and I've been told by several docs it takes a full year to reover completely from a fusion, not that I was that lucky, but two weeks out is way to soon to worry about failure and to expect anything oher than slow improvment.

Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread