It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Chronic jaw/tooth pain

OK everyone I am thoroughly confused on what to do here. As many of you know I had 2 root canals (11/07) and then 2 crowns(1/08). I have had problems with pain in my lower jaw joint, constant lymph node enlargement. I have tried corticosteroids, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and my pain meds. I have just recently stopped taking Ultram(tramadol) and now I really notice the pain in my jaw/tooth(crown). I also have been having problems with my tonsil on that side(with enlarged lymph nodes along my neck up into the back of my ear). My tonsil is slightly enlarged(I need to see a E-N-T doctor to get this evaluated). So any comments or suggestions on what might be happening and what I should do? I don't know whether to just manage the pain, go back to my dentist, go back to the endodontist, or get a 2nd opinion.

brian

p.s. the endodontist did say that the crowns were "made correctly" but they did not fit well with each other(at the base) so food likes to get stuck there and then it inflames the gums. the endontist said this is what was causing the inflammation along the gums and jaw(I don't know if I nessecarily agree). I just don't know what to do.

p.s.s I am doing the hydrogen peroxide rinse, brushing, flossing, and then using Listerine twice a day and it doesn't seem to be enough. I wonder if it could be caused by a diseased tonsil??????

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Chronic jaw/tooth pain

Brian. In my younger years I had a lot of trouble with my tonsils. Until when I was 20 yrs old they came out. I never had the symtoms you describe. I have found that since my stress levels have increased[for some reason which I don't know] my teeth and jaw started aching like mad. I went to the pharmacy and bought a mouth guard for night time use. Guess what! Those problems went away. I don't like wearing the stupid thing but it's better than the pain.
I don't know if this is even close to your problem but if it is it's worth a try.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Fred:
I do have a night guard although I have not got into the habit of using it. I guess that I may be forced into really using it daily, I mean nightly. I hate having all of these health problems at the ripe old age of 34.

brian

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Brain, just wait until you get 43....

Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Or 52

steve

Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

or56

Last edited by Arthr Itis; 04-14-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

or 29....again!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi Brian. Almost my entire mouth is full of root canals, crowns and bridges. In my opinion food should not be getting stuck in them and causing pain. If that is happening, I would say the Dentist did not do a great job on them. Food can get stuck under the bridges. You buy that treader tape for that. Believe it or not a tiny piece of food can irritate your gum so bad that it can make the whole side of your mouth feel like a major toothache. I have TMJ too. I also use a dental device for sleep apnea at my ripe age of 43. It clamps on the top and bottom of the teeth. When it comes out in the morning sometimes the TMJ hurts for hours.

I would see the ENT for your tonsils. They take care of TMJ too. Then if possible I would see another dentist. The crowns not fitting correctly can cause alot of jaw pain.

Feel better

Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
You buy that treader tape for that.
Feel better
Where do you get this treader tape, or is it threader tape? Is it similar to the tape that you get for putting around threads on pipes like your shower head? If so I actually have some of that. The thing is that the endodontist said "they are made correctly, except that they don't fit together very well at the base of the crowns". This is what allows food to get caught in there. I can actually get the floss almost ALL the way under both sides of both crowns. IS THIS NORMAL????

brian

Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

I would first see what the ENT has to say, (since you've already made the appointment). If he thinks all is well, I'd then get a second opinion from another endodontist. The whole thing about the food getting stuck in your gums doesn't sound right, IMHO. The only thing that I've ever had that happen with is popcorn, which the kernals are notorious for. I actually had a situation similar to yours (though not as extreme) caused by a popcorn kernel getting under the tooth at the gumline and it caused it to abscess (sp). I had to have it scrapped and irigated, and a round of antibiotics, and it cleared up no sweat.

I know you said you aren't responding to antibiotics. I hesitate to mention this, because of your self-diagnosing thing, but I was sick once for 9 months solid, on antibiotics, and actually had a sinus surgery scheduled, (for me, I kept having one sinus infection after another or so they thought), and when I went to have my sinus series of x-rays done, there was no infection. Clear as a bell. So they started testing me. Started with a CBC, and my white blood count was over 23,000 and I think 11,000 is normal. Plus I had been on antibiotics for 9 months straight, so I should have had a LOW WBC. Anyway, they started checking me for the big Cancers, Lupus, Leukemia, Hodgkins, etc. It was EBS, Epbstein Barr Syndrome Virus. And my Titers were out the roof. I was immediately hospitalized for four days with e-coli, strep, staph, and one other "major" thing. I can't remember now what it was. I remember the doc telling my husband that it was almost like me having HIV but I wasn't contagious or gonna die. That was just how compromised my immune system was.

Anyway, I didn't mention this to scare you or anything, I just mention it to tell you that you may want (if all else fails) to have a complete blood workup and have an EBS test done. With the fatigue, and the infection, it could be a possiblity. But I'm not a doc. Research it, (I know you will ) and see what you think and ask your doc about it. I was very sick for a VERY long time. It really sucks and is no fun at all. It's like mono to the nth degree!! YUCK.

Good luck Bri, I hope you get to the bottom of this.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 04-15-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Where do you get this treader tape, or is it threader tape? Is it similar to the tape that you get for putting around threads on pipes like your shower head? If so I actually have some of that. The thing is that the endodontist said "they are made correctly, except that they don't fit together very well at the base of the crowns". This is what allows food to get caught in there. I can actually get the floss almost ALL the way under both sides of both crowns. IS THIS NORMAL????

brian
Pipe thread may work but yuck... LOL Actually it is called Crest Glide Threader Floss. That goes under the bridge and gets any food out from under it. My other crowns and teeth are tight so I use dental tape for that. Floss won't fit. You get both products in the floss section. I know when all mine are done, it feels like the dentist is pressing them up to my brain because they fit so tight under my gums. So there should be no gaps. If there are gaps then they are made wrong. It is not normal to get the floss almost all the way under both side of the crowns. Wonder why you are in so much pain. It all must be killing you. In my case sinus pain/jaw pain and tooth pain always go together. It is all connected.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Brian - the thread you are looking for is indeed made by Crest (or at least that's the brand I get). Each thread comes in its individual packet that you tear open. At one end of the thread there is a slightly "stiffer" tip, almost like a needle and thread combination. You take the pointed tip and work it thru, underneath the crown and then holding both ends of the floss you can swipe it back and forth to get any trapped food out from under the tooth. I agree with what everyone else has said, you shouldn't be able to just run regular floss down and under the crown. If you can than you have crowns that aren't fitting correctly!! I would find another endodontist and get myself another opinion!! Those darn things are so expensive and you definately want it to be right. I just had one done while you were going through your initial root canal ordeal and it cost me $1,260.00 just for one tooth!! And, I still have another one that I need done. Mine are due to cracked teeth and not root canal problems, but the price is the same in the end. It really amazes me that ANYBODY in this country can afford even the minimal amount of dental care that is recommended when the cost is outrageous and the dental insurance plans cover practically ZILCH! Oh well....feel better buddy! KathyMac (Memere)

Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mine were $800 a piece and my dental insurance covered 60% of it so I ended up paying around $500 which I used my flexibile spending account for. My dental insurance actually paid for the root canals 100% so my dental insurance is pretty good however the yearly max is $1500 so I had to wait until the first week of january for the crowns. Hopefully no more dental work this year I pray.

brian

Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

pigsty213 HB User

I had a white filling on Wednesday morning, however I am in agony with my tooth or gum, I am having trouble to sleep, I have taken paracetomol.

Please advise what this may be caused by.

Many thanks

Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

You might have an infection and need to be treated with antibiotics. Please tell your dentist ASAP so that the possible infection does not get worse.

brian

Closed Thread