It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Generic Drugs....what A Pharmacist Said

I switched pharmacies because of the "pharmacy police" guy at my old chain pharmacy, and today I called out of curiosity to the only other pharmacy we have in town, and it too is a chain pharmacy. BUT this pharmacist is very nice, and laid back.
I had my refills of my vicoprofen transferred there, and even though I dont take it any more, [Ive been using the compound pharmacy, I didnt cancel my refills, in case of emegency like last time.]
Anyway, what I asked him today was this..."I read, and also heard somewhere that generics can be +/- 20%. is this true?"
He stated..."Well if that is true, then we arent allowed to dispense them, because of law."
I smell a rat...and I didnt say anything else, but is this what they tell pharmacists to say???? maybe this was covered in the "generic" thread, and I missed it. When I pressed him about it, he stood his ground and I stood mine, and told him I knew their game. I asked him how they can feel good about how they give pts crappy meds, and say they are the same. Also told him that I hoped the kickbacks are worth it. I dont care, I use my other pharmacy now, but it made me really miffed.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 04-14-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Naw,shucks they wouldn't do that! That would be dishonest and they wouldn't want to do anything dishonest. It's like getting a straight answer out of a politician or the news media.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It sounds like he is the DEA's puppet

brian

Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear IZZY'SMOM,

You certainly got a "non-answer", didn't you? From reading some other threads recently, I noticed that Executor (Ex) has a great deal of knowledge on this subject. And, others that discussed this subject had a lot of understanding to offer. Maybe you can search the Board to find out which thread(s) discussed this subject. They were in the last week or two.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Izzy....As I've posted before, you continually bring a smile to my face!

You know what would be great.....If you printed out the Hatch-Waxman Act of 1999, and took it to the pharmacy and told the pharmacist that you spoke to: "Since you told me that info on the phone the other day, I thought I'd drop this off for your to read and I guess as a result, you're not going to be able to sell any generics at this pharmacy. So, moving forward, when I can expect to only receive brand medicines here"?

Ex

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Ex...You bring a HUGE GRIN to MY face~ Ill be sure to print that out, and take it with me when I pick up my 576.00 vicoprofen for the month script tomorrow...
Id love to start a thread directed to pharmacist, NOT in a negative way at all, but Im on "thin ice" lately with my comments, so if someone else wants to step up to the plate, by all means...;]
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 04-14-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Well Izz....If you've been in some hot water lately, you need to comply because I for one, would hate to lose you. I can always count on you to brighten my day....That's for sure.

Ex

Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Izz....another great thread. It made me think about the problem I had a couple of months ago getting my meds filled on the 28th day. I had 3 different answers from 3 different pharmacists when I was looking into it.

I guess what worries me the most, is that it could happen again and again. Seems like some pharmacists feel like they have the right to interpret laws any way they choose.

I know that most here who use small mom & pop pharms, have less difficulty, but in my area they are all gone. They just couldn't compete with the chains. There seems to be constant turnover in the chains and that doesn't inspire much confidence in those of us who are stuck with them. I have to be really careful that I don't burn any bridges, because my little city is just small enough for that to cause me some big problems.

Just wanted to put my .02 in. Take care, cmpgirl

Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just try asking that same question to the pharmacists who work in hospitals where they do actual transplants,i guarentee you,you would get a very different answer. my sons pharmacy at the U of MN, DO know about this generic difference. my sons main anti rejection med that he was started on back in 2000 is "automatically" DAW always despite the fact that they have come out with a generic version. and any other meds that make a big difference in him are done that way too. we are not even given that choice,its made by the surgeons who do the transplants. i TRUST this pharmacy to just do right by my son.

it all depends upon who you actually talk to in what type of an answer you would get. they(the FDA and everyone connected to them or under them) have played this stupid game with patients for just way too long and now,the truth is starting to really come out,in many places. like i said before,its just sick. marcia

Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Feelbad...You are right on!

I would encourage everyone to read the Hatch-Waxman Act of 1999, or an analysis of it on-line....It can be quite an eye opener. Some of the logic is tremendously flawed, IMO.

Ex

Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
LbldforLife

This is easily fixed, all you need to do is have your doc write the script is "as written" for the non-generic drug. And I have to stand up for my pharmacist, just because it's not fair to lump her in with the rest of the big chain pharms. I use a "big chain" pharmacy, but she's been there since '97 and she is great. I'm on 9 diff. meds daily and she gets me whatever brand I ask for, if has to be ordered no problem, she's also very aware of any new meds to make sure the "play well" with my current meds, I'm not sure what I'd do without her.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Izz,
more I leave more I understand that we have to be our own advocates, our own Drs and sometimes pharmacists too. I was sick with flu, couldn't get to the pharmacy, called them for delivery; my heart meds instead of being pink in color, this time was blue.

If this would be my hubby, he wouldn't pay attention to it, not me. I called them back, it was someone else's medication, but not mine! Can you believe this?

This all upsets me too, but thank God for Internet, a lot of research information available to us, so we can be prepared with knowledge...

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
but thank God for Internet, a lot of research information available to us, so we can be prepared with knowledge...
Amen!

Ex

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Did you pose that same question to your now pharmacist? I thought everyone knew of the +/-% amount in generics..that would be the reason they are so much cheaper. I would like to know what all your pharmacists say...I don't think I would accuse them of anything(never burn your bridges) but wouldn't it be nice to know how many are honest or not? The unfortunate thing is that insurance companies only pay for generics so unless you are independently wealthy we are all sort of stuck taking whatever the manufactures of drugs want to do...and in this time of recession you can bet the +/- % will favor the minus side.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
The unfortunate thing is that insurance companies only pay for generics.
My insurance company doesn't just pay for generics. Some insurance companies have one copay for generic and one for brand. My insurance will allow the diffence between the two IF DAW is written on the script. I'm not independantly wealthy or anything by any stretch of the imagination, and my co-pays are higher than what I see others on this board pay.

I think perhaps what it comes down to is who the Insurance provider is Ann.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Closed Thread