It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User
Have I developed a tolerance to Lyrica?

Hi All,

I've been on 150 mg/2x of Lyrica since early January to curb the deferred pain in my arm that is due to neck/disk issues. It has been working for the pain fairly well, but I am noticing that every day, it seems that my arm pain is increasing just a bit. Originally, it was like a sharp, burning, stabbing pain that would drop me to my knees. Now, it is a lower-level throb, but I feel like it is a bit worse every day.

Is it possible that I have developed a tolerance to the Lyrica? To be fair, I also am suffering from tendonitis in the same arm, but the pain is really confined to my forearm and wrist. (I cannot grip/pick up anything of any significant weight) The deferred nerve pain has been in the tricep (underside of the upper arm), and that's where I am experiencing the increasing throb.

What do you think? For those of you with nerve pain, have you had to increase the dosages of your medications from time to time? I really don't want to have surgery for this thing, if I can avoid it. I'm starting to freak out a little bit about that possibility....

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

TexMom

Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Have I developed a tolerance to Lyrica?

Texmom:
I HIGHLY doubt that you have developed a tolerance to the Lyrica since January. I think you may need to have a slightly higher dose. Lyrica can be dosed up to 600mg/day(which is the dose that I take). I have been on this dose since April 2006. Of course there is not much else I can do with increasing the Lyrica. Are you on any opiate/opiate medications with it? I think you should definitely let the doctor know and see if he would let you go higher on the Lyrica, just a suggestion.

brian

p.s. you may also need another nerve pain medication along with the Lyrica. I also take Trileptal but as you have seen me post there are many, many other choices and I do know that Cymbalta seems to be a favorite/good one although I could not tolerate it.

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-15-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Brian,

I am not taking any opiates for the nerve pain. I am on Celebrex for my Fibromyalgia (although it's not working), as well as Flexeril. I was given Vicodin for lower back pain but had stopped using it for a while; now I only have a few left and need a new rx for it.

Other drugs of note, for my sleeping problems, are Ambien CR, Promethazine (generic Phenergan), Mirapex (for RLS), and an occasional Xanax for panic/anxiety attacks.

I know I need something else, as I am not only experiencing the return of the nerve pain but also a worsening of my FM pain...so much so that I am doing less and less every day. I am, in a nutshell, miserable. In the past, I have taken Topamax (good the first round, caused depression/rage the second round), Klonopin and Paxil (caused anxiety), Prozac and Effexor (did nothing), and Gabitril (helped with RLS). I was on Elavil for many years for insomnia, but its efficacy waned and I weaned off of it a few years back. Due to my sleep problems, many of the SSRIs may not be a good option for me as insomnia is a known side effect.

Obviously, I need to talk with my doc (orthopedic surgeon) to get something else, or at least get the Lyrica dosage increased....although I have been fighting the side effects of weight gain, swelling and sleepiness. My sleep doctor, upon seeing my swollen feet last week, promptly put me on a diuretic (Triamterene) which has helped immensely. I started on Medifast lask week, but I suspect it is making me sick (nausea, headache), but between the diet and the diuretic, I have shed 21 of the 37 pounds I gained.

I digress, sorry. I will continue to research the boards regarding nerve pain treatments and see what my doc might allow me to try. I hope I can get him to give me something else for the FM pain too. The Celebrex just ain't cuttin' it.

Thanks for responding; I really appreciate it!

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Tex: When the beta blocker was not doing the trick and my legs looked like I had 2 footballs at the ends, the diauretic that the "good PA" Rx'd was Triamterene HCTZ. It made a huge difference. I actually have ankle bones and feet that look like feet!

Does yours have the HCTZ? If so, did they tell you it is a potassium sparing diauretic? The Triamterene reduces potassium, but the HCTZ replenishes it. Plus the added bonus...not as many trips to the bathroom. (I drink so much water that I spend enough time in there as it is.)

Just thought I'd ask. Take care, cmpgirl

Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hey Tex: When the beta blocker was not doing the trick and my legs looked like I had 2 footballs at the ends, the diauretic that the "good PA" Rx'd was Triamterene HCTZ. It made a huge difference. I actually have ankle bones and feet that look like feet!

Does yours have the HCTZ? If so, did they tell you it is a potassium sparing diauretic? The Triamterene reduces potassium, but the HCTZ replenishes it. Plus the added bonus...not as many trips to the bathroom. (I drink so much water that I spend enough time in there as it is.)

Just thought I'd ask. Take care, cmpgirl
Cmpgirl,

I'm laughing so hard at your reply. I always say that it looks like I have 2 little footballs at the ends of my legs--lol--funny you say that too!

Yep, it is the HCTZ. I wondered why I wasn't going to the bathroom a lot more often, so thanks for that info. The doc told me I should eat a banana or something, but since I just started Medifast last week, that would not be a good idea.

And yes, my feet look like feet, and I can see my ankle bones and wear my wedding ring again. Hallelujah!

Thanks for the info. Hope you're feeling better, sweetie!

((hugs))
Tex

Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Tex: I am thinking that it is definitely time for an opiod/opiate to see if it does help out. I am thinking that you might need to go up to Percocets to see if they work any better than Vicoden or even maybe Lortab or Norco since they have more hydrocodone in them. I was thinking that you might want to try Trileptal(it is a mood stabilizer but also effective with nerve pain). I take this along with the Lyrica, Percocet, and fentanyl patch. I forgot if you had ever tried ULTRAM(tramadol) or CYMBALTA(an SNRI) but they are both effective for nerve pain. They do both have anti-depressant effects so I don't know. You might want to try the Ultram first before the Cymbalta. It's up to your doctors though. Maybe Ultram would work better than the Vicoden, everyone is different.

brian

Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Tex: I am thinking that it is definitely time for an opiod/opiate to see if it does help out. I am thinking that you might need to go up to Percocets to see if they work any better than Vicoden or even maybe Lortab or Norco since they have more hydrocodone in them. I was thinking that you might want to try Trileptal(it is a mood stabilizer but also effective with nerve pain). I take this along with the Lyrica, Percocet, and fentanyl patch. I forgot if you had ever tried ULTRAM(tramadol) or CYMBALTA(an SNRI) but they are both effective for nerve pain. They do both have anti-depressant effects so I don't know. You might want to try the Ultram first before the Cymbalta. It's up to your doctors though. Maybe Ultram would work better than the Vicoden, everyone is different.

brian
Thanks, Brian, I will talk to the doc about these. I know that in the past, anti-depressants have had the opposite effect on me. Amazing, you'd think I'd be depressed with being sick and in pain all the time, but it's a situational depression as opposed to a physiological one. I totally agree with you that I need something else.

I've never tried Ultram or Cymbalta, but am going to look into them as well as the other things you mentioned. Over on the Fibromyalgia board, a poster mentioned that her FM pain lessened after going on a low-carb diet. I know that won't impact my disk/nerve pain, but maybe it would help with the FM. Anything is worth a try, and I'm never giving up!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Hope you're hanging in there!

Blessings,
TM

Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
(female)

linda looney HB User

Celebrex is a NSAID. Most of FM joint problems do not include inflammation. Inflammation in the joints is most often found in the serious rheumatoid arthritis for which there is a simple blood test. I do get joints that get swollen from overuse to a great extent, but for the most part, my joints are not inflamed, and NSAID only works as a pain reliever if it is reducing Pain Caused by Inflammation. Hope this helps.

Last edited by linda looney; 04-27-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: grammar error

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
(female)

linda looney HB User

I don't know how many of your have looked into the Lyrica extensively, but it actually interferes with many pain medications, one of which they name is hydrocodone but it's not alone. Maybe someone can find out a definitive answer as to what type of pain medicine it does NOT interfere with? I'll try also.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

LindaLooney,

Thanks for the advice. It makes a good deal of sense. I was wondering why my other pain has been worse since getting on the Lyrica. I have been unable to focus enough to do any in-depth research and I rely on the information I get from members on this board to point me in the right direction.

I need to get something else for my pain but am so weary of side effects and the whole trial and error process. I also am concerned about tolerance and addiction (although, luckily, I have not exhibited any addictive tendencies). I just want some relief!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will try to do some research and see what I can come up with. Brianpain had some good recommendations that I need to follow up on and see if my doc will consider.

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Tex: Just wanted to let you know that I had been prescribed Ultram several years ago. It actually did something to help the pain. Unfortunately, within 4 days, I developed a rash on my torso and it was determined by my doc that it was the Ultram. But at least it worked for a few days.

Just wanted to add a check in the pain relief column for the Ultram. I hope you didn't feel that my post about acceptance had anything to do with giving up. I have never given up the quest for answers to my pain. I was just talking about the psychological aspect of living with pain. I think we all hold out hope that someday, someone will find a way to eliminate the struggle we go through, and I am definitely at the top of that list.

Take care and I wish you the very best luck, when you see your doctor next. God Bless, cmpgirl

Closed Thread