It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

Zoie97 HB User
Shoreline... a question for you....

I have been reading your post for a long time, are you now drug free? I just read your reply where you spoke of doing exercises for pain relief?

I cant remember if you were on Methadone, any trouble getting off of it? I have been thru the gammit of the meds, I am now dosing down off meth. to go on Suboxone( DR. told me the meth. can cause advanced heart disease) I am having a heck of a time going lower than 25 mgs off meth taken 10, 5, 10....am,noon,hs when I go lower I start to withdraw.

Anyway I was just curious if you are off meds and are using exercise, And how that is working, I really dont want to go on the Subox, I havent read nice things about it either, I want to try to be med free.

Thanks,
SUSAN

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Shoreline... a question for you....

This business about methadone and heart disease is being overplayed.

They are finding that those who have what's called a prolonged QT Interval (heart) and are either on high methadone doses or are started too high may be in trouble. If one does not have a prolonged QT interval then there's no evidence of any heart issues at all. I was switched off of methadone because I suffered heart failure. However, I had no evidence of a prolonged QT Interval per my cardiologist, and he saw no reason that my methadone should have been stopped.

Since then I've seen examples of docs who use this story to take patients off of methadone. They simply don't want to prescribe the narcotics and use this as an excuse.

If you are at risk for prolonged QT interval, then by all means get off of methadone. Otherwise stopping methadone is not indicated, unless there are other issues you haven't mentioned.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You could always try the drug induced withdrawal procedures where they put you to sleep, and then pump you full of naloxone I believe and get you free of most narcotic withdrawal in a 24 hours period. The only drawback is the cost which I have heard is around $10000 yes that is ten thousand dollard.

brian

Old 04-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

Zoie97 HB User

Thanks for the input !!!

No, I have no other reason's to go off the Meth, other than I'm sick of taking meds all the time, and like I stated the Dr. wants me to go on Suboxone. Which I am having a heck of a time doing (tappering that is ) I have been on all the major pain meds, vicoden, oxy, the patch...ect. I had really no problems getting off, even when everyone seemed to want to tell me I would.

Do you know ( or think ) it is worth going on the Subox? or just stay with the meth? I want to try to be long acting med free, with maybe a occasional BP med. Not sure it is possible for me at the point.

Thanks
Susan

Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I would not trade methadone for suboxone. I've used both and highly prefer methadone, even with its side effects. I did not like the feeling the suboxone gave me at all. I always felt agitated.

If you have a choice I recommend methadone.

steve

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Susan:

I'd hop over to the addicton boards and read some over there too or pose a question or two there, as I hear that coming of sub is 1000 times worse than coming off meth or herion. Do a search on the boards for Sub and see what you find. There's tons of informtion on it. Plus the good folks on the Addiction board will be happy to answer any questions you might have even though you're not an addict.

Also, I believe Shore (Dave) has had a pump implanted. So I think he's still on meds, but uses other modalities to control his pain. He'll chime in and let you know though. Last I knew, he still had the pain pump.

Good luck on your search for the right medication.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Susan,
what exactly is wrong with you? How much pain are you actually in right now? What would you say that your average pain level is?

I would highly suggest that you stick with the Methadone. It may be that you really do not want to ACCEPT the fact that you have chronic pain. I know that I still do not want to fully accept it but I know that I really don't have a choice right now. I will treat the pain like it is a disease, and it really is a disease. You wouldn't think of going off insulin if you had diabetes so why think of going off pain meds since you have chronic pain. Is it your own thoughts messing with you or are you listening to what others are saying(like family members). I can tell you that people who are not in chronic pain or have ever experienced severe pain for awhile have not got a clue as to what it is like. I know that I have family members who don't want me on pain meds, or think that I should be on the patch, but I try to tell them "look at how much more I can do" and "I am not sitting on the couch all weekend suffering in pain and not doing anything". This is not an acceptable way to live for me so I chose to go on narcotic medications so that I have some quality of life and can actually have some joy of living. JMO

brian

Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

Zoie97 HB User

Brian,

What isnt wrong with me? LOL

I have had chronic back pain L4-L5 since 2000 at age 34, I was a surgery canidate in 2002, then had a change with DDD and begining arthrits, and became a non-surgery canidate. So that snow balled my chronic pain relief search, believe me I had tried almost all of them!! I had a harder time with the ocxycontin types for long term pain, I would be all twitchy and fall asleep all through out the day, strange even though I know they are all the same base medicines. I do better on some than others.

I actually was wanting to see how I would do without meds, maybe to see if my brain is more addicted at this point than my body, I know it has a name (that brain addiction) it escapes me right now. I just cant seem to even taper off 25 mgs of meth right now! I did go from 60 -70 mgs to 25 in about 3 weeks with no real problems, no pain increase.

OH.... I am about a level 3-5 in pain. I always had a hard time with that scale though, like when I would go to my pain clinic, I always felt I needed to tell them I was in more pain than I was, because I really have almost NO pain when I am on correct meds. But if I told them I would get the feeling they would cut my dose or take me off my meds. Most my pain any more is the time before time for the next dose or in the morning when I wake. I have more problems with back spasms now.

Some how I have gotten WAY off my original question....sorry!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie97 View Post
Brian,

I actually was wanting to see how I would do without meds, maybe to see if my brain is more addicted at this point than my body, I know it has a name (that brain addiction) it escapes me right now. I just cant seem to even taper off 25 mgs of meth right now! I did go from 60 -70 mgs to 25 in about 3 weeks with no real problems, no pain increase.
I think you are talking about dependence and not addiction. Have you had abuse or addiction issues in the past? I think you have done great if you went from 70mg to 25 in 3 weeks. That is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be patting yourself on the back. What you are experiencing is probably rebound pain which happens when you go off a narcotic medication, especially quickly, your brain will respond by saying you are in HUGE pain when in reality you are not. The same thing happens if you take Tylenol everyday and stop, you will experience BAD headaches. I think the key is to take it slowly if you are wanting to get off completely and see where the pain level are at. However I am really thinking that it will be suffering for no good since you probably have pain that needs med treatment.

brian

Old 04-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
(female)

Zoie97 HB User

No, no abuse issues with these pain meds, I did have the ( I think) normal experiences as a teen to early twenties with drugs. In the beggining of my pain pill journey I did get somewhat of a high if my dosing was to high, or a new med, but then the pills would just serve their purpose of pain control.

Yes, I think I definatly have the rebound brain effect going on, and my brain is more addicted at this point,I think that because the pain has not really increased.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

zoie97:
I would encourage you to go slower with the withdrawal from the methadone. You won't be as likely to experience the rebound pain effect. Here is what I found out about it:

Rebound effect occurs when a medication is discontinued and it can cause a return of the symptoms being treated in the first place. The symptoms might even be more severe than before. In extreme cases, the symptom will be more pronounced after the medication is withdrawn than before it was used.

I can tell you from experience that this lasted for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after a very fast titration of Oxycontin & Percocet. The pain was very bad for the first week, started getting better on week two, and by week 3 I was really able to see where my pain levels were really at.

If you feel like you really are having difficulty going off the Methadone, I would highly encourage you to ask your doctor for help. There are medications they can give you short term to help with the withdrawal. Good luck and keep us posted.

brian

p.s. It takes some people up to 6 months to get off Methadone so give yourself a break

Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
(male)

niap HB User
Cool Re: Shoreline... a question for you....

Methadone made me very ill after a couple of weeks....I stopped cold turkey with no issues. But remember everyone is different! good luck,

niap

Closed Thread