It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Lightbulb Definitely a difference in oxycodone/apap brands

I have been taking the Mallincradt brand for a month and now switched over to Roxicet made by Roxane Labarotory. The bad thing is that I can not break the thing in half with my fingers like I could the other one so I will have to get a pill splitter. Second, this thing hit me pretty hard and is actually giving me a "euphoric" feeling. I know not good for me, but it must be that it is actually stronger than the Mallincradt brand. I will be buying a pill splitter tonight so that I only take 1/2 a pill at a time if needed. I guess you guys were right about different brands being "better". The other brand they carried was Endocet by Endo which I am sure many of you are on. Just thought I would share my experience. The bad thing is that it is not necessarily making the pain better, I just don't notice it as much at the moment

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-16-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Definitely a difference in oxycodone/apap brands

From our earlier thread on "brands vs generics", it could be as much as 20% more potent.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Brian, I don't know if you were asking about Endocet brand or not but I have found that brand acceptable for myself.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

mzpain HB User

Remember what we learned, that the strength may be stronger for now, but it can change from batch to batch. The splitter idea will be your best bet for when your pills are stronger than usual and a whole pill may be necessary when you get a weaker batch. Maybe you wont ever get a weaker batch, hopefully.
After reading the very informative thread on "brand vs. generics" I switched my oxycodone too, I switched to a different generic Amide, instead of the Mallincradt, and found a difference, but not as much as you found with your switch so I most likely will see if I can afford a switch to brand next, so that hopefully I can cut back on my dosage. The strange thing I found when calling the different chain pharmacies I have to go to due to having state aid, was that all six of them only carry Mallincradt. The chain pharmacies told me they are regulated by their "main office buyers" and couldn't order anything different? Anyway, I found the one that carried the Amide and went with that. I felt it not right that all those pharmacies carried the cheapest "crappy" brand only, I think that is what is called "having a monopoly on the market". One of the largest popular pharmacies didn't even have the main "brand" on hand, what do they think everyone wants generic? and then to only offer Mallincradt, I think that's what's crappy!
Mzpain

Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
(male)

Kev32 HB User

I can assure you that when I was taking Oxycontin, there was definitely a difference in strengths between brand and generic. The Endo's I took would vary in strength. When I got a bad batch, I could look for a very painful month. Yes - there was that much difference. The generic would vary in strength. It was a crap shoot in getting a good batch.

I requested my PM Doc state brand only on my scripts from then on out. We have a good Pharmacy that carries the Brand Oxycontin. I would not consider the brand in the future unless my insurance refused to pay any of the cost.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpain View Post
The strange thing I found when calling the different chain pharmacies I have to go to due to having state aid, was that all six of them only carry Mallincradt. The chain pharmacies told me they are regulated by their "main office buyers" and couldn't order anything different?
And more than likely, the Mallincradt brand is the "cheapest" in class, so the buyers buy it. They don't care if it doesn't work as well....They're looking strictly @ acquisition cost.

I have found this to be the case with the fent patches as well....Just about everyone is carrying Mylan...Same deal. Normally, one has to get out from the "chains" or any kind or coordinated buying group. IMO, independent pharmacies are the best because they can do whatever they want, however they want.

Ex

Closed Thread