It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
I am still here! Just wanted to check in!

Hi friends<

I have not posted in a few days so I wanted to check in with you all.

At this point I am still the same. I have my appointment today with the PM and I am hoping that he will want to try another facet block right into the joint this time. Unfortunately my Mom and Dad are both sick with the flu and so my Mom won't be able to take me if PM wants to do another block. I would wait untill the 25th but I am going to a recovery convention in South Lake Tohoe and I have a committment to be there. I am on the committe that is hosting the convention.

I think I posted that the Neuro want to wait for 3 months and then do a discogram and then possible ADR.

Well you guys, I am really sick of the pain and a life filled with nothing but diminished activities and doctor appointments etc...etc...etc...!!!!!!

I think that if the PM does another facet block and I do not see any real improvement with it, that I may consider calling the neuro and asking him to write the script for the discogram rather than wait for 3 months. I just think to my self why should I suffer any longer??

Do you all think that is rushing? I mean the discogram is going to tell us if the discs are the problem right? Why not get it done and procede with the proper treatment.

Anyway....what other treatments are there after the Facet blocks? I have done ESI's, and I am not really even interested in prolo therapy or in Botox injections and I have done many many many trigger points.

Really I just want to know if the cause is the discs and then move on!! I am 9 months out from the accident and over 3 months out from the foraminotomy and I feel like I am suffering an unable to move on with life. I also feel that if I am to have anymore surgery, doing so during the summer is a great choice because I will not be in school and I also do not have an endless amount of money to continue to not work. I am sure that you all understand. Unfortunatley I am the sole provider for myself and I just continue to watch my money going out and none coming in.

OK...that is enough ranting from me.!!!!

I saw that there are some friens out there who are going through a rough time and I just wanted to say Hang in there! I am here to support you as best I can. I know I have not been posting much lately, but school is really getting tough right now and it seems all my time is going into my studies.

I will chime back in with whatever my PM's paln is.

God bless Chrissy

OH...P.S. Brian how are you holding up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: I am still here! Just wanted to check in!

Hey Chrissy: I was just wondering yesterday, if you were OK. I'm so glad you came on and updated. I'm sorry you are still in such pain. Has your PM increased your meds, or are you still waiting to see what happens? It sure sounds like it's time for your docs to start finding out just what is going on. I guess I'd be worried, if I were you, that there's something going on in there that needs attention and isn't getting it.

I haven't had any back surgeries (knock wood) but I definitely know that I'd want to know what I have ahead of me, if I were in your shoes. Sorry your mom & dad have been sick. Looks like the flu is in full swing around here.

I hope you are doing OK, aside from the frustration. Please know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers and I have missed you! I know how busy you are, especially with school. Try and let us know what's happening, if you get the chance. God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi Chrissy

I am sorry you are in so much pain Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

Hugs Nadine

Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hey Chrissy:

Just wanting to pop in and echo Nadine's sentiments here. Not a lot of time for me right now with end of the semester coming up (I know you can relate to that)... It's crunch time!!! Good luck with your finals, and I'm keeping you close in my thoughts.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hello,

Thanks everyone for thinking of me!!!

Well I just came home from the PM and I am not surprised that he did NOT want to do another facet block. He said that I just did not get enough relief with the ones that I had already.

He said there is two other things I can try if I am interested. One is Prolotherapy and the other is Botox injections. I have read a little on the two therapies and I am not particularly interested. I will need to do a bit more research on them. I jsut do not feel that they will relieve or help my neck problems.

I plan on doing a little research on the two therapies and then if I decide against them, I will call my neuro to ask for the referral to have a discogram because the pain doc does not do that procedure.

I just really want to KNOW!!!!! Ya know??? LOL Well it really is not a laughing matter just kidding there.

I really want to know for sure if the pain is coming from the bad discs that I have. If that is the case and the pain is coming from the bad discs I will be ready to move on to the ADR or is need be the ACDF which ever my doc feels is best. Right know he has only spoke of the one disc but firther testing could say different I suppose.

I was prescribed the same meds. We did not increase. He said if I need to on a really bad day take an extra percocet but he did not presrcribe enough to do that so I am in the same boat for now. If it gets to be to much then I will go back and see him again and ask for an increase. He prescribed for a month and I just picked the pain meds up from the pharmacy and it was $354.00 bucks for 30 days. That is just my pain meds. Not including any other meds I take. Yikes!!!!

So at the moment I am feeling a little down. I am just so tired of surgeries and meds and yadda yadda yadda you all know, I dont even need to go there.

I must go to school now so I will check you all later and maybe then I can read and chime in some.

Thanks everyone
Chrissy

Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Chrissy:
I was starting to get worried about you and if I had not seen you post by today I was going to post asking about you. You had me worried. I think that it is awesome that you are going to the convention in Lake Tahoe, wow. Can I join you? I don't know if you have been reading my posts or not but just wanted to tell you that I am starting to really recover from the flu now. It took a good 2 1/2 weeks to actually recover from it. It really hit me hard so if your parents need to ask them to get to the doctor. Did they have the flu shot this year? did they get the treatment for the flu or did they wait to long? You can only wait a max of 48hrs from the time you first feel symptoms so you must get into the doctor or urgent care quick but I am sure it would have been so worth it. I will not even hesitate next time. Make sure you tell them about the oscillocium(sp?) or oscillo as most people call it. It does not help you get over the flu any faster but it treats the symptoms and gives you a little energy as well as the sublingual b vitamins or vitamin b 12 shot.

I think that you should go ahead and get the discogram and see about getting the ADR(artificial disk replacement right?). I think that it is your last bet and hopefully it would get you out of a lot of pain. I don't think it will eliminate all of your pain. I still think that you need to be prepared for actually living with the chronic pain. I am still hopeful myself with this podiatrist but I know nothing will get me out of all pain and I am doubtful anything will actually help a whole lot. I will post about that later.

I am glad to see that you are alright and hanging in there and I highly commend you for staying in school and attending the upcoming convention. You are truly and amazing woman. You have nerves of steel(ok maybe not actual nerves of steel )

brian

Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Chrissy I would go ahead a get the discogram booked, at least you have it booked and an appointment made....... it can always be cancelled. Otherwise you will reach the stage where you say yes I will go ahead and then end up waiting months to get one done. Go and book , it can always be cancelled.

Mind yourself. Round1

Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hey All,

I am actually starting to feel very down. I am getting ready to go to a meeting and I dont even really feel like going but I cave a committment to be there tonight. It is ok I will take it easy tomorrow and just study and then do whatever I want in the afternoon. It is supposed to be warm here so I will get out in the sun a bit.

When I went to school I just started feeling really sad. All my classmates that I have been going to school with for the last 2 years have all applied to the nursing program. They are always talking about it and some even ask me if I think I will get in. Then I have to tell them I did not apply this year. They always ask why not and although I really do not "have to" tell them why I do anyway but I keep it real simple and say something like "I am still being treated for my neck injury so I am waiting til next year" I should have applied this year but I put it off because there is no way I could be a fultimes student. It makes me sad to think that everything that I am working for is literally put on hold.

Waiting Waiting and more waiting. Well I am tired of waiting!!! I actually decided to "not wait" until Monday and I called the Neuro's office and told the person that I really was not interested in any of the treatments that the PM had to offer and that I really did not want to wait 3 months to see the doctor again. I told her to ask the neuro if we can just schedule the discogram and once that is done come in earlier to discuss the results of it.

I don't really want to spen yet another summer having another surgery but it is easier than trying to do it during or to close to school sessions. This last surgery I only had 17 post op and had to go back to school. I just cant do that this time if I need surgery.

Actually I just feel it in my gut. It is coming (more surgery) sometimes you just feel like you know. Do you all understand? Haven't you all ever had that gut feeling?

Today and the last week or two I have felt really empty and alone. I know I am not alone and I do have a few close friends and an awesome 12 step sponsor. Then my Mom who has been there for almost every single procedure I have had and she has been at every surgery I have ever had in my life. She is so much more than a Mom to me. She is my bestest friend ever. But even though I have these wonderful people in my life I still feel empty and alone. Wow. this is the first time I have really expressed this.
But it is how I feel right now. Now, What am I going to do with it? I do not know that right now. I am thinking I will walk through it with my higher power and the people in my life will help to.

I just knew that it was to good to be true when I started to feel that good physically and emoitionally. It really just does not seem to last.

The last thing that I want to say is this...I do believe that things wont be this way forever, and I am grateful to be clean and sober and to be alive and yes to have the life I do have despite the physical stuff.
Well it is almost time for the meeting so I better run.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, hang in there my friend. Perhaps you feel alone because you know even though you physically have family & friends around noone can identify with how you feel. So there for how can anyone understand the physical & mental impact of it all. Am I close? because I know thats how I feel.

It is a hard road to walk alone that is why we all have each other.
Some days are just to much to bear alone.
you want to be optismistic but afraid to hope. Well we are lucky to have hope & I guess we just have to keep reminding ourselves. It just seems to take forever. If you have to go through another surgery we will be by you every step of the way.
My pt keeps bringing up more testing possably need to be done, I know that scares me, because that opens the door for possably more surgery.
I have to say sometimes when I get off this board I think about the people who do not even know it exists & are really going through this alone. That is sad. At least we have each other & I know how much I care for you all.
you do what you have to do, if you feel you are tired & want to cut to the chase then I am glad you are doing it. I don't blame you one bit. you have been through enough & you must feel that all the other things the PM wanted to do will just prolong it. I am with my friend. Sammy

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Sammy,

Thanks so much for being my friend. Ther are so many of you on this board that I truly hold dear to my heart. Sometimes I wish we could all meet and go to coffee...ya know...LOL.

Anywa I am feeling down and it a lot of pain so I am starting a new thread.
Have a great day
Chrissy

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

grizzk62 HB User

Hey Chrissy,

I feel for you and understand where you are at.Just remember that there are alot of us here that care and hope and pray for one another. A saying of my fathers that I have contiplated on alot and that is"It will all work out for the best as long as I don't get in the way". When I apply this to every aspect of my life it has come true. There are times that I really have to look hard. But it is true. Take good care. My thoughts are with you. For me knowing that there are people here that understand and are pulling for me makes all the difference in world. Luv,

Matt

Closed Thread