It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

StephM HB User
Question Spinal Cord Stimulator Question

Hi everybody!

I've been on and off these boards with chronic pain, fusion, hardware removal, etc for the last two years. Thanks to you all for always being so caring and knowledgeable.

I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted (permanent) by Advanced Bionics about three weeks ago. I have suffered from an infection mostly from the battery pack (IPG) incision which was placed in my left buttock. Now, that's improving, and the swelling is going down. I am still getting a fair amount of drainage from both incisions.

My concern is this: instead of a flat surface. I feel the IPG on the outside of my buttock and I feel a corner of it, like it is twisted. Visually you can see the side and corner of it protruding against the skin. ALso, it makes it hard to charge it because I can't get a nice flat surface for the charger.

I just want to know from all who have the SCS if they can see/feel theirs the same way. Please let me know. Can anyone relate to the infection/drainage either?

Thanks in advance!

OH, BTW, the nerve pain in my legs and feet is almost a hundred percent gone when the stimulator is on!! YAY! Although, because of the infection and drainage, I haven't been able to really test it on my feet for long periods...but so far so great!

Last edited by StephM; 04-17-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: formatting issue

Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Spinal Cord Stimulator Question

Hi Steph , I had the same problem with charging the system shortly after my implant. But after a couple months when the swelling is down it will be easier to charge . Its because of the swelling . About the battery and wires sticking out , yep My battery can be seen through my skin in my buttcheek.
Even if you look hard you can see the wires down my back. Things will get better after it heals,, I didn't have infection with myimplant ...Hope things get better soon .

Shawley.

Glad the stim is helping your pain.. I still don't get relief in my toes. But the leg and hip pain is much better too. I'm glad I got it.. You have the best system.. Bionics is supposed to be the best . I have the Medtronic unit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

StephM HB User

Shawley,

Thanks for your reply! I have been following your progress on these boards. You have been there before when I needed some information, thanks for being there for me again!

I guess you just get used to the new addition! They say "butt implants" are all the rage. Maybe not the square ones, though!

I hope you continue to heal and improve, you have been through so much! I'm sorry you are not getting the relief in your toes. When you had the trial stimulator in, did you have pain relief in your toesies?

Thanks again!

Steph

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Thanks Steph No this stim never helped the tootsies but it did help my leg pain .. Funny thing , these injection's I been getting helped my leg and toe pains alot. Weird I know ??? Yeah them square batteries take a while to get used to , mines in my right cheek and everytime I lean back on it my leg goes completly numb. and it kind of aches too. But its worth it .

I have been feeling ok since my injections last week.. ty.

Hope you heal up quick and enjoy the summer..
Its beautiful here today ..

Shawley

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
(female)

joanj54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawley View Post
Thanks Steph No this stim never helped the tootsies but it did help my leg pain .. Funny thing , these injection's I been getting helped my leg and toe pains alot. Weird I know ??? Yeah them square batteries take a while to get used to , mines in my right cheek and everytime I lean back on it my leg goes completly numb. and it kind of aches too. But its worth it .

I have been feeling ok since my injections last week.. ty.

Hope you heal up quick and enjoy the summer..
Its beautiful here today ..

Shawley
Hi,
Can I ask what kind of injections? I had to have the stimulator (square butt check pack and all) removed due to too many failures and can't keep pain meds down. I have chronic pain syndrome in neck and left side and had my neck fused right after they removed the stimulator. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am considering the stimulator implant and will probably be going through the trial in August or September. Please let me know how things are going for you now? Did they give you the option of putting the battery pack in your abdomen? I thought they could put it in either place. I can't imagine having it in your butt cheeck that would be really weird. I can see how it would be bothersome when you lean back or sit on it you know. Well give me some info about it if you can.

brian

Closed Thread